Nomad modification

OP
mrbillbrown
Absolutely brother. I'd expect you to improve upon it.

I had to watch out for placement of my tab loops because my machine would only fit so far down into the wing. Keep an eye on that. Also look at how inch space you need for the slots between the wings and the back piece. I wanted to do a complete "button hole" for my straps to pass thru but realized my machine wouldn't get vet close on the back side of the hole. It would put my button hole too far into the wing itself. That's when I decided to make it a 3 sided hole and leave the existing edge of fabric on the back piece side alone and just burn the frayed part.

I'll shoot a few better pics for you to help describe what I'm talking about.

OP
mrbillbrown
Ok fellas, dragging this back to the top to look for any improvements you guys found, or made, while doing your own Nomad/EMRII modifications.

Planning to do the same things to my EMRII tomorrow while on shift. Thought I'd see if anybody had suggestions for improvements.

OP
mrbillbrown
I do plan on adding a pals matrix and tabs on top to use it without a lid and a pals matrix below the zipper to add a belt pouch or strap for a bottom bow cam.

OP
mrbillbrown
e5ce113a63fcaf30bf8688c02fcac7f0.jpg

09f3baba4fc4e42e9cc1354e8c06a69f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
Nice work. Did the same mods to my EMRII. Didn't add the loops at the bottom but I like that idea.

OP
mrbillbrown
With that pals matrix on the bottom (have the same thing on my AMR) I can use this strap I made to hold the bottom of my bow cam.

It’s like a homemade version of the factory loop Kifaru put at the bottom of the newer bags.

1ad2cebc3ccf0ce6727a78a100d8dbd2.jpg

Works perfect and not a permanent fixture.

Alexander

FNG
When you start cutting into the bag's seams to make room for new straps, etc. how do you make sure the existing thread doesn't unravel? I might have no idea how this stuff works but it seems there has to be a way to keep the existing thread from working its way undone. Love this mod, keep em coming!

OP
mrbillbrown
When you start cutting into the bag's seams to make room for new straps, etc. how do you make sure the existing thread doesn't unravel? I might have no idea how this stuff works but it seems there has to be a way to keep the existing thread from working its way undone. Love this mod, keep em coming!

I use a seam ripper and my havalon to gently remove the seam stitching where I want to add a strap or tab loop. I’ll line everything back up as best I can and sew a few passes over the new addition. I’ll run the new line a little bit past the existing opening to make sure I don’t leave any open areas on either end. So a 1” hole might get 2.5-3” total line of new stitching to lock everything down. I’ll make 2-3 passes for my own piece of mind.

When I cut a hole for the straps to pass thru on the wings I’ll take a torch lighter and burn the edges to prevent fraying. Working good so far.

OP
mrbillbrown
awesome thanks for clearing that up, glad to hear its working fine! Now I need a sewing machine haha

Here’s a couple of pics of the stitching. I’m using an $88 Singer Simple machine from Walmart. Works fine for all the small stuff I’m doing. Never sewed a stitch before I bought the machine. The kids wanted wrestling masks and I thought why not make them? Brought it home, skimmed thru the manual, couolenof YouTube videos later and the kids have masks and I’m doing small projects. If I can do it, anybody can.

But remember I’m a fireman.... and there’s nothing I can’t do. (In my mind, lol)
65ee3cb9814db03ac7b18d3128f2cc6e.jpg
734ea3cc5dbb1c234543a145b675c94b.jpg
46acd6ac1fde1735feea083cba3781fe.jpg

Alexander

FNG
Here’s a couple of pics of the stitching. I’m using an $88 Singer Simple machine from Walmart. Works fine for all the small stuff I’m doing. Never sewed a stitch before I bought the machine. The kids wanted wrestling masks and I thought why not make them? Brought it home, skimmed thru the manual, couolenof YouTube videos later and the kids have masks and I’m doing small projects. If I can do it, anybody can.

But remember I’m a fireman.... and there’s nothing I can’t do. (In my mind, lol)
65ee3cb9814db03ac7b18d3128f2cc6e.jpg
734ea3cc5dbb1c234543a145b675c94b.jpg
46acd6ac1fde1735feea083cba3781fe.jpg

In the first picture, will those thread ends that are sticking out become a problem? Or is this really just a non-issue when it comes to making gear?

That's definitely a doable price for a good sewing machine...my grandfather has 100yo Pfaff machine he used as a tailor for 70+ years, I would like to pick up something like that on the used market

OP
mrbillbrown
In the first picture, will those thread ends that are sticking out become a problem? Or is this really just a non-issue when it comes to making gear?

That's definitely a doable price for a good sewing machine...my grandfather has 100yo Pfaff machine he used as a tailor for 70+ years, I would like to pick up something like that on the used market

Non issue for me so far. There’s so many tiny little stitches I can’t see an issue popping up. If it does I’ll check back in with a remedy. A guy could probably “lock” it down with a zig zag over the final ending line. Just didn’t feel it was necessary at this point.

Wassid82

WKR
Took a long hard look at my Nomad and decided to make a few improvements. Added tab loops on the wings and slots for running the straps under the wings if needed. Granted, I'm a fireman and not a seamstress so my work is far from perfect. But I feel it's gonna be solid for anything I plan on doing with it. Slots work for both my Hunting and Bikini frames.
fabc12b662b8a5392bf2917362046304.jpg
eac88a7deb002f22bc9422a867e43db6.jpg
46d80ce319ab52b73404a663aee6c88b.jpg
3497eac68312141fd705a2b8999cf4c1.jpg
aa522f3aab90319ef9278ad40090c6d0.jpg
3de6a9105091f2e6b6062ea590f4a67a.jpg

So how has it worked thus far?

OP
mrbillbrown
So how has it worked thus far?

Actually sold the Nomad to a friend soon after all the modifications. Just never cared for the lack of a fixed bag for just dumping large items into it.

Purchased an EMRII and did the same mods and have loved it. Super functional and makes the bag more user friendly with the mods. I’d quickly do them again if faced with another nomad or emrII in my hands.

Outwest62

FNG
There is stuff called Frey check to stop any freying if your concerned. Also many machines can make a large button hole and that works for this type of application also.