Non-AR Platform Semi-Auto

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking to add a rifle to the gun cabinet. Looking for something else besides another AR that is fun to shoot and won’t break the bank every trip to the range. Not looking for another rimfire either.

I saw someone else mention the Springfield M1A which piqued my interest. Something like that or another option in the same vein would be cool.

What do you guys have that you love?

-RadDad

OP
RadDad

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
I have an M1a Scout Squad & it's a hoot to shoot. It's a heavy gun, weighing in at around 13lb with a 20 round mag full but consequently the recoil is almost zero.

Lots of fun for clonking steel & perforating paper. Wouldn't want to tote it up a mountain though 😁View attachment 482495View attachment 482494
That’s exactly what I‘m looking for! I have a hunting rifle for backcountry so this is just something to mess around with.

-RadDad

Last edited:

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking to add a rifle to the gun cabinet. Looking for something else besides another AR that is fun to shoot and won’t break the bank every trip to the range. Not looking for another rimfire either.

I saw someone else mention the Springfield M1A which piqued my interest. Something like that or another option in the same vein would be cool.

What do you guys have that you love?

-RadDad
Have you considered getting an M1 Garand delivered straight to your door through the federal gov sponsored Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) ? There’s a number of hoops to jump through but almost anyone can qualify. The biggest hang up was showing membership in a shooting organization. The national NRA did not qualify but the state chapter of the NRA did. Go figure.

GWT

FNG
If you haven’t tried pistol caliber rifles I think you should give the ruger pc carbine a shot, it’s just a fun gun to shoot or if you want to spend a little more get a CZ scorpion.

If you want rifle caliber I would go with a m1a.

OP
RadDad

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
Have you considered getting an M1 Garand delivered straight to your door through the federal gov sponsored Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) ? There’s a number of hoops to jump through but almost anyone can qualify. The biggest hang up was showing membership in a shooting organization. The national NRA did not qualify but the state chapter of the NRA did. Go figure.

Interesting. I have not heard of that program but will check into it today. Thanks!

-RadDad

Encore4me

FNG
CMMG Banshee, 9mm. Love this PCC. Fun to shoot and makes an awesome home defense gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IALoder

FNG
I have found the M1 carbine, Ruger 99/44, and Ruger PC Carbine 9mm very fun firearms to shoot. My wife uses up a ton of ammo with the PC Carbine, I really enjoy it as well! If you're okay with shooting a lot of 7.62x51, an FAL is great!

Wapiti1

WKR
Well, M1A1, M1 Garand, FAL, HK91, Springfield SAR 8 (same as the HK just made in Greece, mine is an over stamp 3) and a parts kit Cetme I built for fun. All of these, save the Garand (30-06), are .308 or 7.62 NATO.

A PTR 91 is a good option for an HK91 clone at a reasonable price. Good quality without the wear and finish issues of a Cetme.

Jeremy