Non Big 3 Bino's.... What is everyone using?

pbcarch

WKR
Definitely look at the Sig Sauer Zulu 9s or the Maven B series. I had both in my hand to try out and ended up keeping the Zulu 9s , only because i got a better price on them. I could not see any difference optically between the Zulu 9s or the Mavens

The 11x45s are a great set of binos in comparison to a 10x42 as they are still light enough to use in one hand and pull in more light! I tried a 15x56 and it was just too big for one hand use on a regular basis for me.

I had a pair of SLC 10x42 and sold them and kept the Sigs. The SLCs are very nice and has a hair more detail but not enough to say i would miss something. I was very surprised though that the 11x45 sigs DID bring in more light ( SLCs are a 42) and I did notice the extra 1x of power.

I have not had any experience with a 12x50 so cant help you there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That was my goal at the DSC this year was to compare and decide on a pair of binoculars, Im leaning towards Meopta but wanted to look through several brands.

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
I run four Maven binoculars. The first one I bought was the B2 9x45. I followed that up with the B3 8x30. Then came the 8x42 B1. Finally, just because I could, I got a C 1 8x42.

At the time I got the Maven B2 I had just bought a Swaro 8.5x42 from the SWFA Samplelist. I wound up going through the 10x42, the 10x50 SV EL's as well as the 10x42 SLC. At the time I was looking for the purchase of my last binocular. The story is that I have the Maven's and sold off or exchanged all of the Swaro binoculars. The SV EL is a fantastic glass, as is the SLC. However flat field technology can have serious draw backs with something called rolling ball. It was so bad for me, that all and SV EL was was an expensive paperweight. Even evaluating from solid rests, like another poster above, I could NOT tell any difference with any of the Swaro vs the B2. My feelings were, and still are that for the price of the EL, they should be ably to handily put a less expensive glass to the back of the line. That was not the case for me. If you have the money to spend, the real reason for buying a top tier optic is being able to buy from a company with long established history of excellence which likely will be around for a good while. Although there is currently a Swarovski family battle being waged with lawyers involved. So who knows what will shake out. The Swarovski Optic seems to be outside the parameters of the fight.

Aside from Maven I would look at Meopta, the Monarch HG, Leupold BX-5, and the Tract binoculars

Just to clear up one previous point, Maven uses the Japanese optical maker Kamakura. Kamakura has a facility in San Diego called Kama Tech. KT is where the parts from Japan are assembled, and where the custom coverings are done. KT also handles the warranty work. There is no made all in america binocular anymore. There has not been since 1986 when Bausch & Lomb sent the last couple of years of production of the Zephyr to Japan. The closest we get is assembled in the USA. Even the big three do not make their own glass anymore. Swaro, for example, gets glass from Schott, Hoya, and O'Hara, probably among some other sources. It is very likely that every binocular has glass sourced from several companies.

Reactions: 307

Boonie327

FNG
I am very interested in this thread after my truck was recently broken into and my Cabelas Alaskan Guide 10x42’s were stolen. They served me well since 2006, but have no choice to replace them. I’m very interested in the meopta meostars...does anyone know if the Cabelas euro hd binos are the newest version of the meopta meostars or how they compare to the meostar B1 plus?

Jo83ben

FNG
I am very interested in this thread after my truck was recently broken into and my Cabelas Alaskan Guide 10x42’s were stolen. They served me well since 2006, but have no choice to replace them. I’m very interested in the meopta meostars...does anyone know if the Cabelas euro hd binos are the newest version of the meopta meostars or how they compare to the meostar B1 plus?

I believe the cabelas euro HD’s are the most recent meostar b1’s. Not the b1 plus. The b1 plus are new new and I have to find a place that even has those in stock. Not sure on the total differences, but the rubber armor is changed on the b1 plus, maybe better glass too?

Not a fan of the appearance of the cabelas branded armor, but otherwise they’re a great deal! I’ve read that cabelas won’t honor the warranty for s%#^, but you can contact meopta and they’ll still honor it. That being said, the cabelas euro HD’s are on clearance now at cabelas so even a better deal. I’m guessing they’re being replaced with the newest clearest alpha level red head binoculars from bass pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boonie327

FNG
I believe the cabelas euro HD’s are the most recent meostar b1’s. Not the b1 plus. The b1 plus are new new and I have to find a place that even has those in stock. Not sure on the total differences, but the rubber armor is changed on the b1 plus, maybe better glass too?
Not a fan of the appearance of the cabelas branded armor, but otherwise they’re a great deal! I’ve read that cabelas won’t honor the warranty for s%#^, but you can contact meopta and they’ll still honor it. That being said, the cabelas euro HD’s are on clearance now at cabelas so even a better deal. I’m guessing they’re being replaced with the newest clearest alpha level red head binoculars from bass pro

That’s good Meopta is backing it up, but no surprise on how cabalas is honoring it. It’s unreal how far Cabelas has went downhill since BP took over. I’d love to go look through different sets of 10x binos around the $1k price range, but Cabelas would have been the closest place and they don’t even have their Euro HD’s in stock to compare. I’m guess I’m going to comb through threads and reviews on here and likely give Cameraland a call. I bought a meopro scope from them and they were great.

Jo83ben

FNG
If you can find them online maybe order them, try em and return them to cabelas near you if you don’t like them.

I had some Scheels gift cards and picked up their Vortex Razor 10x42 equivalent for a screaming good deal on one of their early black friday sales. Love them so far. Was going to get the Leupold BX-4’s until this sale.

Have a pair of lower end/lightweight Mavens in the closet for my daughters bday in a couple of months that I want to try out

Firehawk

WKR
I run the Meopta 15x56 and Maven B2 9x and feel just fine about finding game in the woods and open basins of the West. Terrific views from both.

I have ran Vortex Razors (original open bridge style), Vortex Talon, Hawke, Minox BD/BR 10x and a small 8x32 (which I still own), Zen Ray Prime HD, Maven C1 and B2 and a Leica Duovid 8-12. I would take my Maven B2 every day and twice on Sunday. Not a fair comparison in most cases here, but the Leica, as nice as it was, was outperformed by my Maven and so I sold them.

Last edited:

nobody

WKR
Wow. That isn’t very promising!!!

I to would move on!

I would have to think you a rare case or they wouldn’t be in business let alone growing each year.

Who knows if it will hold up, but I just got a gen 1 razor 85 and it’s better then the my swaro ats 65 was. The ats was a huge let down for the price!

Thanks for the feedback

Like I said in one of my posts, they have the single most successful Marketing Platform in the outdoors industry, perhaps any industry, in the world. They market themselves using social media, photos of broken/burned up binoculars that they've replaced, and by sponsoring every "long range" competition out there.

They are successful because they sponsor all the popular T.V./Youtube personalities and give them free gear so that they push it. Then, the new hunters/outdoorsmen and young people who watch these videos eat it all up and buy it as fast as they can. Whenever your stuff goes back for warranty work, they make sure to send you a hat and a T-Shirt and a Yeti mug and a pile of stickers and they ask you to post something on Instagram using #vortexnation so that everyone likes it and makes you feel good for buying vortex stuff.

They are popular because they give guys like me who work part time at Sportsman's Warehouse an incentive to sell their products. Every piece of glass I sell at Sportsman's earns me a certain amount of "vortex bucks" that I can then redeem for free optics. So every time you walk up to the optics counter at a big box store and say you need a scope or binoculars or a spotter, the first place I take you is the Vortex case, because I want my free stuff. Guys like me don't sell them to you because they're the best of the best, we sell them because we get their stuff for free! (For the record, I think I'm the only one at the gun counter at my local sportsman's who ever even shows people Leupold, Sig Sauer, Zeiss, or anything else besides Vortex, so YMMV).

Think about what comes to mind when you hear the names of the big optics companies:

Swarovski: Best Glass on the Market
Maven: Direct to Consumer
Leupold: Made in the USA Scopes
Nightforce: Tough as Nails
Vortex: Warranty

Their quality or their glass doesn't pop into your head when you think of Vortex, because they're pushing their warranty on you. All you hear about is when your buddy's scope busted and Vortex rolled out the red carpet for him and took care of him. But what if your Nightforce broke on a hunt? Wouldn't they be absolutely destroyed on forums and otherwise? Why isn't Vortex held to the same durability standard as Nightforce, or the same clarity standard as Maven or Swaro? Because that's not what they sell.

For the record, I do think Vortex has its place in the industry. They offer a functional product at a reasonable price for someone who is just getting started. They have more ads and more sponsors and more exposure than other people because they sink their money into it, so new guys are more likely to have heard of Vortex and have likely never even heard of some of the other brands. Their seemingly great price points hook lots of new guys every year who would never even dream of spending what some of us have spent on our optics, yet they help get them converted to the hunting community at a price they can stomach. They're smart for doing it, because as you said, they're successful and growing every year! But I stand by the fact that there are very few guides that I know who use Vortex stuff exclusively.

Jo83ben

FNG
Like I said in one of my posts, they have the single most successful Marketing Platform in the outdoors industry, perhaps any industry, in the world. They market themselves using social media, photos of broken/burned up binoculars that they've replaced, and by sponsoring every "long range" competition out there.

They are successful because they sponsor all the popular T.V./Youtube personalities and give them free gear so that they push it. Then, the new hunters/outdoorsmen and young people who watch these videos eat it all up and buy it as fast as they can. Whenever your stuff goes back for warranty work, they make sure to send you a hat and a T-Shirt and a Yeti mug and a pile of stickers and they ask you to post something on Instagram using #vortexnation so that everyone likes it and makes you feel good for buying vortex stuff.

They are popular because they give guys like me who work part time at Sportsman's Warehouse an incentive to sell their products. Every piece of glass I sell at Sportsman's earns me a certain amount of "vortex bucks" that I can then redeem for free optics. So every time you walk up to the optics counter at a big box store and say you need a scope or binoculars or a spotter, the first place I take you is the Vortex case, because I want my free stuff. Guys like me don't sell them to you because they're the best of the best, we sell them because we get their stuff for free! (For the record, I think I'm the only one at the gun counter at my local sportsman's who ever even shows people Leupold, Sig Sauer, Zeiss, or anything else besides Vortex, so YMMV).

Think about what comes to mind when you hear the names of the big optics companies:

Swarovski: Best Glass on the Market
Maven: Direct to Consumer
Leupold: Made in the USA Scopes
Nightforce: Tough as Nails
Vortex: Warranty

Their quality or their glass doesn't pop into your head when you think of Vortex, because they're pushing their warranty on you. All you hear about is when your buddy's scope busted and Vortex rolled out the red carpet for him and took care of him. But what if your Nightforce broke on a hunt? Wouldn't they be absolutely destroyed on forums and otherwise? Why isn't Vortex held to the same durability standard as Nightforce, or the same clarity standard as Maven or Swaro? Because that's not what they sell.

For the record, I do think Vortex has its place in the industry. They offer a functional product at a reasonable price for someone who is just getting started. They have more ads and more sponsors and more exposure than other people because they sink their money into it, so new guys are more likely to have heard of Vortex and have likely never even heard of some of the other brands. Their seemingly great price points hook lots of new guys every year who would never even dream of spending what some of us have spent on our optics, yet they help get them converted to the hunting community at a price they can stomach. They're smart for doing it, because as you said, they're successful and growing every year! But I stand by the fact that there are very few guides that I know who use Vortex stuff exclusively.

Interesting inside look at Vortex marketing. If it’s true than it’s brilliant from their standpoint. You’ve got to hand it to them, they’ve become a powerhouse in the hunting and shooting optics world. Are they the best? Nope. Are they total junk? I think also nope. I managed to get three pairs of diamondbacks for me and my hunting partners for a great price and they’ve served us well. My rangefinder works great too. No it’s not the best; but I trust that I’ll have it forever so long as it’s not lost or stolen. The vortex UHD line is truly impressive as well, and I think their first attempt at an attack on true alpha glass.

I recently bought some Swarovski SLC’s and couldn’t be happier (the NL pures would equal a divorce. ). I’ll definitely be keeping my diamondbacks as keep in the truck always binoculars and they allowed me to get into hunting (a potentially very expensive hobby if you’re completely new to it and a gear junky), so they’ll have a special place in my hunting gear assortment.

That being said, lots of other companies offer great warranties and excellent products worth looking at as well. If you’re new to hunting or an experienced hunter looking to upgrade I suspect vortex would be a great brand to consider, but it’s also good to know that the guys at the optics counters aren’t always trying to sell you what’s best for you...remember it’s sales.

Of course now that I’ve got the SLCs I’m egging for some 15x56’s or a spotting scope (don’t tell my fiancé!).

kravguy

WKR
If looking for a pair of 15*56, I would grab Meoptas and not look back. Love that the eye cups are similar to Swaros and those absolutely work best for my eyes. If 12 power is ok, I would try Tract. They are very nice for the money. There were some demos listed on their 12.5*50 line a few days ago, plus they have a 30 day free return policy too. 10 power the Kowa's are very nice. I recently bought my son a pair and they are super for the money. One of the best focusers I've used and I've had all of them except top of the line Leica.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have Razor HD 10x42 that I've been very happy with. Not as clear or crisp as $2000+ binos but excellent for the price point of sub $1000.

nobody

WKR
Interesting inside look at Vortex marketing. If it’s true than it’s brilliant from their standpoint. You’ve got to hand it to them, they’ve become a powerhouse in the hunting and shooting optics world. Are they the best? Nope. Are they total junk? I think also nope. I managed to get three pairs of diamondbacks for me and my hunting partners for a great price and they’ve served us well. My rangefinder works great too. No it’s not the best; but I trust that I’ll have it forever so long as it’s not lost or stolen. The vortex UHD line is truly impressive as well, and I think their first attempt at an attack on true alpha glass.

I recently bought some Swarovski SLC’s and couldn’t be happier (the NL pures would equal a divorce. ). I’ll definitely be keeping my diamondbacks as keep in the truck always binoculars and they allowed me to get into hunting (a potentially very expensive hobby if you’re completely new to it and a gear junky), so they’ll have a special place in my hunting gear assortment.

That being said, lots of other companies offer great warranties and excellent products worth looking at as well. If you’re new to hunting or an experienced hunter looking to upgrade I suspect vortex would be a great brand to consider, but it’s also good to know that the guys at the optics counters aren’t always trying to sell you what’s best for you...remember it’s sales.

Of course now that I’ve got the SLCs I’m egging for some 15x56’s or a spotting scope (don’t tell my fiancé!).

Yes, I want to make it very clear that I don’t think everything they build is complete garbage. I just feel like I do a disservice if I don’t share my experiences with other people. And I also want everyone to understand what happens in the retail industry that makes everybody selling and buying vortex products so common. Do they make a decent product at a decent price? Yes, they absolutely do. But there are better products out there in the same price range with the same warranty and to the same customer service. Like I said though, they just aren’t as flashy or in front of you as vortex are. Maven builds a fantastic product that beats out most of the competition that cost 2 to 3 times as much, but you don’t see them on every single YouTube channel or TV show, and they don’t sponsor anybody and everybody, so they aren’t getting the same kind of exposure. Vortex has chosen their market, and in many ways, they dominate it.

mainly, I want people to know why it is that they are so often recommended by people in sporting goods stores. Seriously, I think I’m the only one that even mentions other brands in our Sportsmens warehouse location. And it’s not like I’m intentionally turning people away from vortex, I just make it a point to list off two or three options as well, where as you don’t really see that with anybody else that I work with. But everybody I work with is salivating over the free stuff they can get if they sell vortex optics, and selling something else, in their mind, is inhibiting them from getting their free stuff. And as far as I’m concerned, that’s not why you should sell product. To me, that is extremely dishonest and unethical. I’m not going to lie, I have sold some vortex products while working at Sportsmens, but I also sell lots of other stuff and make it a point to give people two or three options minimum in their price range and then I let them make the decision.

I think the other important thing to remember is that anything you buy today is miles ahead of what our dads and grandpas used back in the day. It used to be that when you got a new rifle, you bought either a four or 6 Power Fixed Leupold and that was pretty much it. Now, even the most inexpensive optics have glass that would blow those old scopes out of the water. So of course, everything is relative. We have so many great options on the market today, it really is a great problem to have when there are multiple viable options on the market that fit what you’re looking for!

Fallow120

FNG
Just go with a really good set of vortex 12x50s