Non bow quiver for the backcountry?

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I really don't like bow quivers does anyone have any idea for a quiver that would be accessible with my pack on. My back quiver I figure is pretty much out.
Thanks Jason

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know several guys who run Cat Quivers on the side of their back packs and they seam to like them.

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
I used a hip quiver one year, attached to my waist band on my pack. I had one with a quick release so i could take it off the pack with one hand and hook it to my belt without having to unlatch anything. That being said I use a bow quiver exclusively now when doing multi-day hunts off my back.

I know several guys who run Cat Quivers on the side of their back packs and they seam to like them.

I used a detachable pse quiver and connected to the side of my pack using the waist belt and side compression strap. It works very slick. Never lost an arrow.

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
Bow quiver for me also. I have tried other ways, but this seams most efficient.

lastcall

Lil-Rokslider
Ive also used a cat quiver attached to the side of my pack. Ive never lost an arrow with it. It still gets used depending on the hunt.

There are a number of ways you could attach a quiver to the side of your pack so that you could use it with the pack on. Strapping one of the smaller CatQuivers or a bow quiver that has a bar its full length as mentioned above is one option. You could also strap your existing back quiver to the side of your backpack, I've done that as well. With these two options you would reach back or over your shoulder to get your arrow out. Also, they won't be protected from branches or other things that might pull them out of the quiver or make noise.

This is the Rancho Safari catquiver mini:
Catquiver1.jpg

A third option is to attach a hip quiver or one of the tube quivers that have come out in the past several years to the side of your backpack. The advantage of this third approach is that the side/tube quiver will protect your arrows while still providing an easy way for you to reach back and withdraw an arrow from the bottom of the tube.

This is an example of a tube quiver from Safari Tuff side quiver on the Three Rivers Archery website:
6206X.jpg

G Posik

WKR
I made one from a plastic map tube that I strap to the side of my pack. Hold 5 arrows inside and totally protected. Made it where the arrows are held by a foam wheel and spin around for arrow selection. I will try to get some pictures posted up later this week when I get home.

Glenn

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I made one from a plastic map tube that I strap to the side of my pack. Hold 5 arrows inside and totally protected. Made it where the arrows are held by a foam wheel and spin around for arrow selection. I will try to get some pictures posted up later this week when I get home.

Glenn

I am very interested in this also.

G Posik

WKR
The tube is a 1-3/4" diameter map tube. It is 36" long and wrapped with digital camo cloth I bought on ebay. I then cut the oval out and it is about 8" x 3-1/2". I glued some felt inside to keep the noise down. I then glued some clear tubing around the cut out. The arrows are held in place by close cell foam. I have a wooded dowel in the middle that allows the arrows and the foam to spin. There are some small notches to hold the arrows secured. There are two of the foam rings to hold the arrows. i have it secured to the back pack by a 2" nylon strap that came with the map tube and I have it rigged so when I am walking it sits up a bit higher than pictured, then when I need to get an arrow out just pull down on the tube to allow for pulling an arrow. It holds 5 arrows and cost me about $35.00 to build this thing(That included a few extra pieces of dowel, foam and camo material. The arrows are loaded and unloaded thru the opening in the side. The fletchings are towards the top, will stay dry in a down pourand the branches will not tear them up or steal them.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m48/birdhunter_03/IMG_0171.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m48/birdhunter_03/IMG_0170.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m48/birdhunter_03/IMG_0169.jpg

GLenn

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glenn, you should look at marketing that quiver. Pretty cool design for non now quiver guys. I could see many traditional archers who would like their feathers always protected. Nice job with it.

G Posik

WKR
I will have to look up where I bought the map tube when I get to work today. I have a few small things to clean up/Fix/Change, before I ever thought about something like that. then would need to search to make sure someone doesn't have a patent on any of it. Would hate to have some one sue me for making them and selling something they have the rights to. I will find out where I bought the tubes and let you know.

Glenn

Drafting steals.com is where I got the tubes.

Last edited:

G Posik

WKR
Total time was about 5 hours, this included the drying time for the glue. As long as you do not screw up the tube when cutting out the area for arrow removal, its all good.

Glenn

Jerry Simmons of Simmons Broadheads made and sold a version that would probably suit your purpose. I use mine in a similar fashion to what you propose as well as others. I wish I knew how to post you a picture but if you look up Jerry Simmons Bushmaster quiver you should be able to get info. Just briefly it is similar to the one made by G Posik but has a rotating axle in it so the arrows rotate like the cylinder on a revolver and each arrow lines up with the cavity in the side, if that makes sense. If you like PM me and I can send photos to an email address.
Dan