Non-breeding season coyote vocal calling

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
I use a variety of distress sounds for coyote hunting, but I want to get more into using/understanding coyote vocals (interrogation, barks, challenge howling etc.) for calling the more wise and educated coyotes out there. I use coyote distress sounds during my stands and it has been effective, but I’d like to do entire stands with more vocals than distress sounds. Let’s hear some of the dos and donts with calling using vocals that you guys (or gals) have experienced. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigjohn

FNG
I’ll use a locator howl and challenge. YouTube Randy Anderson he does a good job of explaining the different calls

Outside of breeding season or pup noises in the spring I’ve only used noises to stop a skittish coyote from wandering off or locator howls to get a general idea of their area or number. I avoid any aggressive sounds and usually use pup howls or female howls.

WCB

WKR
I'm finding more coyotes getting educated to howling/vocals because everyone and their brother starts or ends their calling with vocalizations. Not that they won't work at times just like a cottontail or jack rabbit distress (the go to call of 99% of callers) but I personally have not noticed a higher percentage of call in rate using vocalizations even during mating season. I do get responses but...

Now using it to locate then move in or position yourself is a different thing.

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate all of your feedback and will be applying some of what you guys have said this upcoming weekend. I’ve been listening to Les Johnson and Randy Anderson on YouTube and have found a few podcasts to listen to. I’ll post my results and what worked/what didn’t work for me.

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
Was able to bring in the alpha male from a pack of coyotes in on the run looking for a fight. I used interrogation howls and the pack answered every time. Then I followed it up with rabbit distress and would do an interrogation howl. Shortly after the rabbit distress I went to coyote distress and it brought him charging into 15 yards and had to woof at him to stop. I had my call behind me pointed down a coulee. It was an absolute adrenaline rush and I have not seen a coyote come charging in so hard like that before. Another play in my playbook. Hope you guys are having good luck out there.

I’ve been using a female short howl for the last month or so. Usually the coyotes come running within a few minutes.
Yesterday I got a double. The remote said 3:10. That’s how long the caller was on after shooting. That’s walking back to my stand, making sure everything is ready, playing the sound, and shooting.
A single came into it a few stands later. I played it twice and it died at the 6 minute mark. That one was directly downwind at 111 yards. There was a 10-12 mph wind. Obviously it could smell me but didn’t seem to care.

Not sure exactly what the sound means. But I’ll keep using it haha.
I killed 4 yesterday and never played a prey distress sound. It’s warm here this year and I had pretty dismal results when I was trying them. So this year I’ve been learning to use vocals.

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
One weekend every January, my two buddies and I meet up and coyote hunt for the weekend. This last weekend was “our trip.”we were around coyotes all weekend and had responses and their overall interest wasn’t really there. Temps were in the 20s-30s with hardly a breath of wind. I shot the one coyote using the howls mixed with rabbit and coyote distress and we ended up calling a pack of four in on the last morning and shooting two of them. They came to a rabbit distress from around a half mile away. I skinned one coyote out and he had a lot of fat on him, so their winter has been pretty good on them overall I think. Usually we call in at least a dozen and kill 6-8 every year. We weren’t thrilled with settling for three coyotes, but three is better than two and given the beautiful weather and the company it was still a weekend for the books.