non factory coyote calibers

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
I use a 30 cal. It makes them deader quicker:)
Or maybe it's just making them flip with their insides on the outside that I like. If I could stand The recoil I might use something bigger. But 125 grain hollow point at 3100 ft per second seems to be working. All coyotes and all hogs need shootin.
I wish I could 22 cal restriction in our state for night time. I did watch video of one being shot with a 50 cal that makes me wanna try one in daytime with 212 gr lol

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
For years my yote combos were a 6.5x55 loaded with 85gr hollowpoints and a .220 Swift, both on Husqvarna commercial actions. Either cartridge is a blast to load for.

As I’ve gotten more into the AR game, I’ve pivoted to 6.5 Grendel, and recently 6mm ARC. I’ve done a lot of loading for the Grendel, and have found it’s also a great one to load.

Longest I’ve busted a yote with the ARC was this one last week down in the Chiricahua Mts @ 400yds even. Factory Precision Hunter loads:
3025E9A7-6619-4B37-A053-FEA41B385B38.jpeg

Schism

WKR
What distance and bullet are you using for those yotes? I considered the 40 VMAX for the 20 Practical.

I use the 40 grain Bergers in my 20 practical. It's not a long range rig by any means. Most shots I take are 250 and in but I've shot a couple out to 350 and had great success.

I haven't had good luck with 20 cal tipped bullets on coyotes.

Houseminer

Lil-Rokslider
I'd vote for a .22-250 Real flat, and not a huge caliber. If that could fit in an AR-15 I'd have one.

xsn10s

WKR
I use the 40 grain Bergers in my 20 practical. It's not a long range rig by any means. Most shots I take are 250 and in but I've shot a couple out to 350 and had great success.

I haven't had good luck with 20 cal tipped bullets on coyotes.
Wow I would have expected better results with the tipped bullets. Maybe they fragment too much which gives the edge to the Bergers. In any case thanks for the insights.

RDMT

FNG
I use my 20 Practical on coyotes and prairie dogs. Yotes get the 40gr Vmax, and the dogs get the 32gr Nosler Varmageddon. Great success with both out to 350+ yards.

450+ yards I use a 6 Creed for coyotes with a 90gr Ballistic Tip.

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas. Really looking at something in the 75gr-85gr running @ around 3,000 fps. Anyone every look into the 6mm MAXX?

That's a hotness I've been looking into, and like it for a number of reasons, including better bolt/extractor life in ARs over grendel-based cases. However, the idea of wildcatting it to .22 MAX is exceedingly interesting to me. Especially if it's running a 77gr TMK. It may very well be my ideal AR-15 cartridge.

If I was going large-frame AR, .22 Creedmoor's a phenomenal cartridge.

Bolt gun? .22 Creedmoor again, or if a wildcat, .22-250 Ackley Improved. If I wanted to bump up in caliber, I'd consider .243 AI, especially if you're looking at lighter and faster 6mm bullets.

The 6X45 as stated (6mm-223) earlier is one I have thought long and hard about. I have a friend that runs one in a contender frame pistol for coyotes and loves it. You also have a wide range of bullet weights from the 58gr V-Max up to around the 100gr. depending on twist rate. He said its a very easy round to load for and has found it to not be finicky at all. The other plus is you will likely never have to worry about brass ever. If you do run out just swing by a local shooting area and you will likely be back in the game again. Gotta love the AR shooters. They usually leave you neat little piles of 30 pieces at a time...
6-223 has a good following for predator hunting.
6x45 was going to be my suggestion.
Endless supply of brass and bullet selection.