Non- flattening high quality binos? SLC like

i agree, you talked me into them, and they are seriously impressive at their price point. a few days ago my wife and i were switching back and forth between the kowas and slc's on the tripod, and it's just more fun sitting behind the kowas.

my wife is stealing them like she stole my slc's, but that's ok, because that means i get the nl pures... look forward to a side by side comparison of all 3, just because.

the kowa is the only glass i can truly say hits above it's price point... especially at that 1k dollar price point you guys often offer (or have at least) i don't think anything can touch them at that price.... different league than the vortex uhd

This is spot on. Yes the Kowa Genesis is a bit heavy which is really the only downside. I used 12x50 previously on my chest so I honestly do not notice the size or weight difference.

@roosiebull @Fins_N_Tines do the Kowa have a threaded insert for a tripod adapter? For some reason I don't remember, I was under the impression they do not.
This works better than any stud adapter I've tried. It slips in and out of my harness without snagging.

Really Right Stuff Cinch-LR Binocular Adapter​

really_right_stuff_cinch_lr_ba_cinch_lr_bino_adapter_1589811684_1562926.jpg

This is spot on. Yes the Kowa Genesis is a bit heavy which is really the only downside. I used 12x50 previously on my chest so I honestly do not notice the size or weight difference.
Yeah, they are heavy, but it didn't bother me either... some weight is worth packing. would you rather have a couple extra ounces on your chest you probably won't notice, or spend another grand to get a little lighter comparable glass....

the kowas have been my favorite binos, i would rather have the 10.5x44 kowas than swaro slc in 10x42, even taking the weight into account, i like looking through them better. i just got some nl pures, so i'm sure they will be my favorite, but that doesn't make the kowas any less awesome, i'm surprised they aren't more popular

Would love to see a 1:1 comparative review between the Kowa 10.5x44 and the new Maven B6 10x50.

Firehawk

WKR
Would love to see a 1:1 comparative review between the Kowa 10.5x44 and the new Maven B6 10x50.
An even better comparison would be the B2 11x45. But size wise the B6 10x50. Looks like the B2 would be a bit larger.

edited: Meant to say B6 not B1.2.

Last edited:
This works better than any stud adapter I've tried. It slips in and out of my harness without snagging.

Really Right Stuff Cinch-LR Binocular Adapter​

really_right_stuff_cinch_lr_ba_cinch_lr_bino_adapter_1589811684_1562926.jpg
Yup, this is what I use as well. I use the polymer version which is cheaper and its been rock solid. as long as your bino harness isn't tight you can leave this on the binos and it becomes so easy to take on and off a tripod. After using the cinch I do not even miss using a threaded stud.

An even better comparison would be the B2 11x45. But size wise the B1.2 10x50. Looks like the B2 would be a bit larger.
Just to clarify - the new Maven 10x50 is the B6 - the B1.2 is their new 42mm model.

I’ve owned the B2 in 9x45 and it is a nice binocular. Can proclaim that IME the new Maven 50mm B6 is next evolution and superior in just about every way to the 45mm B2 - optics are sharper/brighter, sweet-spot is bigger, it is a 50mm yet smaller and lighter, and the handling characteristics, ergonomics/haptics are improved. As a complete package it’s a superb offering and certainly a contender for the title at the $1K and under price-point. And, a light/compact 50mm binocular is just a slick piece of kit.

Not really trying to knock the Kowa. It’s a fine optic that has stood the test of time (believe the current 44mm Genesis design has been around for a decade or more). Their triplet objective lens system incorporating fluorite glass is very sharp, but it also adds significant weight. There are some other minor issues, but overall a very good binocular - just quite large/heavy for a 44mm hunting glass, and lacks a tripod stud. Would love to compare with the lighter 50mm Maven B6.

Firehawk

WKR
Just to clarify - the new Maven 10x50 is the B6 - the B1.2 is their new 42mm model.

I’ve owned the B2 in 9x45 and it is a nice binocular. Can proclaim that IME the new Maven 50mm B6 is next evolution and superior in just about every way to the 45mm B2 - optics are sharper/brighter, sweet-spot is bigger, it is a 50mm yet smaller and lighter, and the handling characteristics, ergonomics/haptics are improved. As a complete package it’s a superb offering and certainly a contender for the title at the $1K and under price-point. And, a light/compact 50mm binocular is just a slick piece of kit.

Not really trying to knock the Kowa. It’s a fine optic that has stood the test of time (believe the current 44mm Genesis design has been around for a decade or more). Their triplet objective lens system incorporating fluorite glass is very sharp, but it also adds significant weight. There are some other minor issues, but overall a very good binocular - just quite large/heavy for a 44mm hunting glass, and lacks a tripod stud. Would love to compare with the lighter 50mm Maven B6.
Good catch, B6 is what I meant to say. Thank you for correcting my post. I did look through a 10x42 B1.2 a few evenings ago for quite a while. It is very nice. If the same characteristics carry over, the B6 10x50 would be a great option.

ljalberta

WKR
You could get the new iteration of the SLC, being the Kahles Helia S 42 if you’re comfortable ordering from Europe.

Broomd

WKR
Do yourself a favor and do some research on the past generation Zeiss Victory FL in any magnification or objective size.
They do not have the flatteners, and can often be found very reasonably priced; some of the brightest optical glass ever offered by any manufacturer.

Fantastic and still-relevant binc even in 2021!

Sorry for a potential rookie question but what exactly does "field-flattening" mean? Is this only found in lower-budget binos? Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to look through high-end binos but am looking to upgrade.

nvHUNT3R

FNG
Sorry for a potential rookie question but what exactly does "field-flattening" mean? Is this only found in lower-budget binos? Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to look through high-end binos but am looking to upgrade.
Field flatterers can be found in the high end stuff too, like the swaro el line so it’s not a budget thing. Some people, myself included, get kinda motion sickness looking through glass with heavy flatterers. If you’re about to drop some serious coin on some new glass, I’d suggest going to some sort of local sporting goods store and looking through some with and some without flatterers to see if they effect you or not.