Non-Frame Day Pack

Ohio3561

FNG
I’m heading to WY next October on a elk hunt. This will be my first out of state big game hunt. Part of the gear list is a non frame daypack to hold extra layers, water/snacks other personal gear such as tripod/shooting sticks.

I’m primarily a a waterfowl and upland guy with some whitetail mixed in. I have been researching the forum and most packs people are using are for pack in style hunts with frames.

This is a horse ride and hike hunt From camp so I’m guessing they want non frame for packing On a horse and not be bulky.

Budget around 300 Or so. I would like something quality that will last and can be used for other endeavors. I’ve looked at Kifaru and Mystery Ranch. At this time I don’t see myself doing pack in hunts or a need to carry meat a long ways.

Thanks for any suggestions/opinions

Bunkin

FNG
Stone Glacier just released a new small day pack that looks nice and may fit your needs.

That said, I would recommend thinking about a framed pack with a day pack sized bag to give you future versatility in packing out heavier loads.

Reactions: pc3

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe Hill People Gear? I have an Umlindi that I love. Their packs have a plastic frame sheet, with aluminum stays. You can remove the stays, and leave the sheet in, or remove both.
The HPG shoulder harness is very comfortable as well.

OP
O

Ohio3561

FNG
Thanks for replies guys. I’m going to call the outfitter and see what they say on a frame. I like the idea of having future options

Will also check out HPG

I would never go back to a frameless pack...never. My Kifaru packs all have their frames, super light, very adjustable and besides, you want your basic survival gear strapped to your back when riding a horse. One guy got tossed off his horse when it suddenly spooked and the guy died because he could not get to water in time. He was experienced but one small mistake killed him.

smith406

FNG
I would never go back to a frameless pack...never. My Kifaru packs all have their frames, super light, very adjustable and besides, you want your basic survival gear strapped to your back when riding a horse. One guy got tossed off his horse when it suddenly spooked and the guy died because he could not get to water in time. He was experienced but one small mistake killed him.
What the heck happened in that story? It kinda sounds like a nalgene full would not have solved that problem.
As far as day packs go pretty much anything you find comfortable. For example, I’ve used a camelback backpack that’s probably around 20L for dirt biking, slack country skiing, and some hunting for the last decade and it has held up well. This includes some major get offs that led to hospital staycations.
If your guides handling all the big stuff focus on comfort and how useful it will be used in your other endevers.
Look at something like a MR front or an osprey offering for now and put the extra 220 towards a frame later when you need it.

OP
O

Ohio3561

FNG
The front looks like a good pack. I will heed your advice and get a frame later should the need arise. I just need a basic gear hauler for now. When I get back it will be used for hauling some stuff to a stand or marsh

I use the Sitka flash packs for day packs. Extremely light, comfortable and QUIET. Almost all my buddies have begun using them as well. We hunt DIY elk in Wyoming, UT,AZ and CO with these for day packs. Good luck finding what suits you...

I use the Sitka flash packs for day packs. Extremely light, comfortable and QUIET. Almost all my buddies have begun using them as well. We hunt DIY elk in Wyoming, UT,AZ and CO with these for day packs. Good luck finding what suits you...

i take that back - Sitka apex and ascent is what we use. Not the flash

I run the urban assault series for work and play. My 18 goes out for day hikes and such, while the 24 is used for work and travel.

I read about it years ago...forget if it was Mexico or New Mexico but a snake spooked the horse, reared up and the hunter fell off. All his gear was strapped to a second horse trailing behind him and they took off and never looked back. He was like 22 miles from the nearest water. Died with his boots on trying to get there.

OP
O

Ohio3561

FNG
Thanks for all the suggestions. Looking at them all comparison shopping now.

Also thanks for the promo code heads up

Agross

WKR
I picked up a badlands super day used on here that I will be using for about everything I hunt around here Really like this pack.

OP
O

Ohio3561

FNG
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I have been shopping around but haven’t made any decisions yet. I called the outfitter today and clarified. They said a small frame back is acceptable they just don’t want anyone bringing a large frame pack that is used for a multi day backpacking trip.

So with this new info and I agree with the aforementioned a frame gives more options. I don’t see any real backpack type hunts in the future but plan on more out west trips and some longer day hunts here in the east in national forest. The frame will help hauling deer and stands in/out and will be used in future endeavors out west.

So with this new info anyone have more suggestions. I’ve looked at the outdoorsmans spur 50 for awhile but never hit order. I like the option to haul a heavier load and the gun scabbord and the long pocket on side for a tripod. There doesn’t seem to be many reviews or people buying.

Just curious on everyone’s opinions.

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely Hill People Gear. I'm saving up for one of the Umlindi V2s. Their Connor V2 or Aston House Backcountry would also be good options.

pc3

WKR
Stone Glacier just released a new small day pack that looks nice and may fit your needs.

That said, I would recommend thinking about a framed pack with a day pack sized bag to give you future versatility in packing out heavier loads.

I tend to agree with this..if it is one decent pack I think making it as versatile as possible may be a good move. Another option, or an in-between-er might be the new Kifaru Kuthroat. Little more than your budget, but gee might be the best all round option.

I have a Kifaru Frame and 44 mag and that would also serve you well, but there are many ways to skin a cat.