Non-Freestanding Tent On Platform?

Rampaige

Lil-Rokslider
I have a new Tarptent Stratospire 1 that I've only used on a fishing trip. I love the tent so far, but I'm going on a backpacking trip next week in the White Mountains in New Hampshire. We will be staying at designated campsites that have wooden tent platforms. Apparently, it is prohibited to set up a tent off the platform for protect the natural vegetation. Does anyone have experience pitching a non-freestanding tent on a wooden platform? I bought some fishbone stakes to (hopefully) slip through the decking of the platforms, but I'm still somewhat concerned that it's going to be a pain in the ass to pitch. Worst case scenario I'll cram into my buddy's 2P, but I'd rather use my own tent. I do have a Tarptent Moment DW on the way that can be pitched freestanding, but it's not looking like its going to be here in time, and it definitely isn't going to be seam sealed for the trip.

EdP

WKR
It can be done as you described but also, as you said, a PITA. I've done it a few times with a tent with hoop poles that wasn't too bad because just the corners had to be tied out, but it would really suck with my Kuiu Summit Star. Are you sure the platforms are wood? Many of the WMNF platforms that were wood at one time have been redone to rock retaining walls and soil. 13 Falls Tentsite is this way and they call them "tent pads." On the other hand, the last time I was at Guyot (25 years ago) there was a shelter and wood tent platforms and they still are described as tent platforms. In that case you could maybe stay in the shelter. If you have to pitch your tent, paracord is your friend.

Voyageur

WKR
Take a look at the Tarptent website and their newest tent. It shows an option for pitching that tent on wood platforms. I didn't pay alot of attention, but it looked pretty slick. At the very least contact Tarptent and talk to them. I would be shocked if they didn't have at least one option/suggestion for you.
Hope this helps.

Hammer and nails....JK. Ive got a spot I'd like to camp this fall (after elk season) that require the plaforms be used and I'm trying to figure it out. Maybe paracord to the corners and down through the slats and tied off to rocks or something. however those fishbone stakes look pretty cool

OP
R

Rampaige

Lil-Rokslider
It’s looking like we’re going to get washed out this week so it may not be an issue after all. Once the fishbone stakes come in I’m going to try it on my deck. I’ll probably have both tents by then, as well, so I’ll be able to see how well the Moment DW works with the ridge pole as a freestanding tent.

EdP

WKR
I had not seen anything like the fishbone stakes before. They look like they would work pretty well.

OP
R

Rampaige

Lil-Rokslider
Update:

I ordered the fishbone stakes and set the tent up on my deck at home. They worked awesome on the deck. However, I took the tent to the AT this week and the site we stayed at only allowed pitching tents on platforms. It was POURING rain when we were setting up. I attempted to use the fishbone stakes but ran into a few issues.

1. Many of the gaps between the decking were too wide. It was an old platform and some of the gaps were over an inch--too wide for the fishbone stakes.

2. If I was setting up only my tent on the platform, I probably would have made it work, but we were also setting up my buddy's 3P tent on the same platform. Though the body of the tent would have fit geometrically, the stakes have to be tight to a joist under the decking to maintain tension in the guy line and to prevent them from sliding under tension. This resulted in the guy lines taking up real estate for the other tent to pitch. Again, I probably could have made it work if I had more time, but I was tired, in torrential downpour, and hungry. Since my buddy had a freestanding 3P tent, I gave up on my tent and we popped his up and slept in that.

I ordered the Moment DW to compare to the Stratospire 1. My plan was to have it for this trip but it got delivered literally 20 minutes after I left the house (I would have had to seam seal it anyways, so I guess it's not that big of a deal). I set up the DW and though it has a good free standing system option, I think I prefer the Stratospire and I'll learn to become proficient at setting it up on a platform.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rampaige

Lil-Rokslider
I sold my Summit Star for this tent. The Kuiu would certainly be a pain in the ass. It was a pain just to set up on level soft ground, let alone a wood platform, I'm sure lol.