Non gore tex / waterproof boots...again * UPDATE *

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
So on my hunt this year the one thing that bugged me the most were my goretex boots. I have the Salomon quest 4d 3 gtx. Fit great, no blisters, can cover some ground....but. They don’t breathe well at all. They would never dry out. I took my shoes off mid day, pulled the insoles, let dry in the sun, dried out my socks, but they wouldn’t dry. I even tried putting them near the wood stove in the tent at night to help. Nope.

Bottom line is my tootsies would get cold because they were always wet. Hard to sit for any period of time when your feet start to freeze cause they are wet.

My possible solution is a military style dessert or combat boot that is non goretex. Salmon makes the XA Forces, which seems to have the same basic features as the quest, but not waterproof. Danner makes the marine expeditionary hot boot. Belleville, lowa, and others make some...

Anyone using any of these with a ruck? Any boots guys would suggest? I know Zamberlan and a few others make a leather boot with a leather lining...not sure if those would dry enough.

Thoughts welcome...

Jimss

WKR
Boots are always tough because everyone's feet are a little different. If I were you I wouldn't give up on gortex...it may not be the fault in your boots.

Not all gortex, stitching, gluing, etc is created equally. I wear and abuse my boots on a daily basis, year-round here in Colo. I'm constantly in wet grass, crossing creeks, snow, etc often. I've had fantastic luck with high quality gortex boots over the years until the seams finally wear out or get punctured. I've had such great luck with gortex that there is no way I would ever buy a pair of boots without it. I've worn the same boots in Alaska on multiple trips in super wet conditions...never a leakage problem. Before Alaska trips I make sure to add a fresh coat of waterproofing.

If you are hunting the Western US in wet conditions I would highly recommend gortex lined boots. I would also look at multiple reviews for particular brands and styles....some are a lot better than others!

In regard to breathability in boots...gortex breaths super well so I would expect it's other materials that are causing your feet to sweat.

Generally speaking, thick leather boots don't tend to breath near as well as synthetic and meshish material boots. Unfortunately synthetic boots with seams don't tend to last as long as full leather boots with no seams. Once seams are warn through you are screwed with gortex! Cactus, brush, and wear/tear can puncture the gortex layer.

If your feet sweat a lot I would likely recommend synthetic material with gortex. You may be buying boots more often but at least your feet will breath. There is pretty much a trade-off between synthetics and thick leather.

Last edited:
OP
W

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I am in Colorado also. I have used multiple variations of boots with goretex. I must be an anomaly. I’ve never liked them. I know it’s a trade off with “keeping my feet dry”..but they aren’t whether it is dry out or not. I guess I’m just tired of “dealing with it”, so I’ll try something “quality” without it.

FYI, I can soak out a goretex jacket from the inside too. That’s why I just went to Helly...if it’s raining that hard I might as well guarantee it keeps the rain out. Gonna get wet from the inside, but at least I’m “warm”...lol.

You can get quest 4d forces without gortex

In my limited search everyone has the gtx version. If it is listed it shows not available...even on salomon’s site it says not available on line. They might be phasing it out.

JNDEER

WKR
Big fan of the vasque breeze (non-gtx) boots for hunting in hot weather. Been using them for 10 years and they usually give me about 3 seasons of hard use before having to purchase another pair.

Jimss

WKR
I guess it's one of those things where you need to try a few boots out yourself and see what works best for you.

Jimss

WKR
There aren't many suggestions so I thought I'd add a couple more.

Possibly try different sock and insole combinations. Similar to boots...not all socks/insoles are created equally. I generally do a lot of sitting and glassing. I often take my boots, socks, insoles off and place them in the sun while glassing to air them out. This will also dry and cool off your feet. Do the same when you return to camp for the night. Periodically dip your bare feet in a creek. Your feet will likely cool down and love it!

You may want to bring along an extra pair of socks each day. If it's sunny out you can hang one pair on your pack while hiking to dry....and alternate as often as needed. You may want to try a non-gortex thin leather boot in super wet conditions....they may not soak through as quickly when wet as a non-gortex synthetic boot. Some full leather boots have synthetic tongues that may breath a little better. I always add waterproofing to the leather in my boots to preserve the leather and help with waterproofing.

OP
W

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I’ll just have to give one of the ones I find a try.

Another adventure awaits...

tdot

WKR
I generally dislike Goretex in boots, but the Scarpa boots that I've been using lately have been pretty decent... I cant think of the model, but they are about the same weight class as the Salomon that you had.

Lowa makes non waterproof leather-lined versions of many of their boots. The Baffin and Trekker boots are a great choice - the Baffins are heavier and are popular with wildland firefighters. I have them and there is a clear improvement in breathability vs my waterproof boots. Not having that waterproof lining makes a big difference in my experience. Of course there are other boots out there - most higher end companies make several leather lined (or otherwise non-waterproof) boots.

howl

WKR
Waterproof membranes in boots are a sales gimmick. Might as well just stick your foot in a bread bag. Really bugs me that perfectly good boots are not available without the membrane. Danner and Alico all leather have worked for me with seams sealed and Obenaufs. I'm assuming you know a company will build on different lasts to fit different feet.

Honyock

WKR
If your feet are sweating try spraying them with cheap under arm deodorant (I’m serious). Buddy swears by it and he’s the guy that rings the sweat out of his socks when glassing.

A month ago I ordered a pair of Frank’s Boots for hunting boots. I know the firefighters use them in the mountains all the time. I wear their packer boots along with White’s and Nick’s while hunting on a horse and have done so for decades. I have done a lot of walking in them while leading my horse and have never wished they were goretex lined.

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same issues with Goretex, and I found a deal on a pair of Lowa Renegades that were leather lined. The boots are nice and the leather helps them fit like a glove, but they do NOT dry quickly. I haven’t used them hunting because they weren’t as sturdy a boot as I was looking for, but I kept them as an extra pair of hiking boots and it takes them days to dry out sometimes. Some places online say you should let them dry thoroughly before hiking hard in them again so as not to tear the leather. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but if it is, that pretty much rules them out as multiday hunting/backpacking boots.

I have had the same issue with goretex boots. The leather dries from the outside but not the inside. Eventually the leather rots from the inside.

I have the Hanwag Nazcat leather lined boots and much prefer them to my Gore-tex boots. Since they have leather inside they can still take time to dry but my feet don't sweat nearly as much. Socks can also have a lot to do with that. FOr non-Gore-tex boots that also dry out quickly i have a pair of Meindl German military desert boots that still have good ankle support and tough soles.

Lando

WKR
In my experience, Gore Tex breathes about as well as a trash bag, which inevitably leads to sweaty feet, which then get cold. My best luck has been using sno sealed leather boots with synthetic socks.

*zap*

WKR
I have been told that stuffing newspaper in a boot will dry it out but I have never tried that. If it is dry I use a non gor-tex boot because my feet do not sweat as much in those. But if it is wet I use the gor-tex boots. Belleville makes non gor-tex boots that have drain holes in the sides at the bottom. Belleville boots are generally good ( break in period may be required) and run pretty true to size but stay away from the Belleville/tactical research boots which are made in china. Belleville is USA made.

Last edited:
I have been told that stuffing newspaper in a boot will dry it out but I have never tried that. If it is dry I use a non gor-tex boot because my feetn do not sweat as much in those. But if it is wet I use the gor-tex boots. Belleville makes non gor-tex boots that have drain holes in the sides at the bottom. Belleville boots are generally good ( break in period may be required) and run pretty true to size but stay away from the Belleville/tactical research boots which are made in china. Belleville is USA made.
Newspaper does help wick the moisture out. I bought a pair of Columbia pack style boots and my feet sweated so bad it soaked the inside insulation. I stuffed them with newspaper and put them near the wood stove. I changed the paper out a few times before they were dry. I didn’t put them very close to the wood stove because I didn’t want to melt them so it took about a day before they were totally dry. I’m bringing a boot dryer next year to run when we have the generator on.