Non gore tex / waterproof boots...again * UPDATE *

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
I've had good luck with Lowa Baffin Pro boots, which are leather lined and don't have a waterproof lining. With a good leather waterproofing product, they become pretty close to waterproof in my experience. You have to reapply waterproofing every now and then, but you should honestly be applying it to leather boots with gore-tex as well so to me that's a non-issue.

I do think waterproof breathable membranes work. They're all bad, but some are less bad than others. If you're having bad luck with Gore-Tex, I'd try leather lined boots for sure.

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
I went away from goretex boots years ago and haven’t regretted it.
What boots do you wear or prefer? My feet sweat in flip flops and I think I need to go away from gortex

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RCB

WKR
Andrew Skurka, who seems to be a pretty good authority on ultra lite backpacking over very long distances (and he hunts), has written a lot about the negatives of waterproof shoes. He sticks to light weight trail runners. Here’s a typical example of his thoughts: https://andrewskurka.com/waterproof-gore-tex-shoes-second-chance-complete-failure/

He does mention wearing mid-height Gore-Tex shoes in winter once the snow is a few inches high. Even then he wears pretty light weight stuff: The Salomon Mid X mentioned in this article is comparable to Merrell Moab or Lowa Renegade. https://andrewskurka.com/conditions-hiking-waterproof-footwear-winter-system/

Hunting tends to be under different conditions than long distance backpacking, on average. But worth a read, anyway. I’d consider doing a mountain hunt in a pair of trail runners and light gaiters if the snow is light.

OP
W

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
Well, thought I should update this thread...

First thank you all for your replies. I figured out why my feet and boots wouldn’t dry out. The goretex in the new boots is a fail. It has been fairly dry where I’ve been using them lately. However, I went to Kansas to hunt pheasants and had nice wet grass, rain, and snow mix while there. The boots wetted out almost immediately, and I had waterproof gaiters on over them. I could literally feel the cold water coming in...

I purchased them at REI and the return policy says I can return or exchange them. I‘m gonna take them in and see. Salmon also says they have a 2 year guarantee, if the REI thing doesn’t pan out.

I’m still going to find a pair of goretex free boots. The bread bag idea I used to do as a kid. It works ok actually. At least you can put dry socks on when you sweat them wet and have dry feet again. Unfortunately I didn't have any with me in Kansas....

I’ve thought about the trail runners too. However, for me, once I add a good amount of weight to the pack, they don’t have the sole to keep me from feeling everything under my feet and my feet slip off the sole when side hilling.

I’ll look for a decent non gore boot, test it out in different conditions, and decide. I’ll keep a pair of goretex boots around to have a plan B, and I think some conditions may warrant them.

Happy Hunting!

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered a pair of alico guides they'll be in sometime this week as I'm also interested in an all leather non goretex boot. From what I've read is they take 30 to 50 miles before they are broken in, we'll see.

GregB

WKR
I bought some Hamwag Yukons, seam sealed the stitch lines, treated the leather and they are just as waterproof as a gortex boot and they breathe better. I probably won't go back to gortex.

I got my new Frank’s hunting boots a month ago. I have put about 200 miles in them and couldn’t be happier with them. They are not goretex lined. I doubt I’ll ever buy another pair of goretex boots again. These new Frank’s boots are the most comfortable boots I’ve worn. They have helped me practice my social distancing very well. 1022095C-646C-48D8-A639-5C65F27B45CB.jpegF8910699-FDA2-4EFC-B13E-4D91A01FFE7D.jpeg2EA26931-1DD5-4210-9220-C972B27CAEC2.jpeg

OP
W

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
Thought I should update this.....just in case.....

REI exchanged my Salmon's....I wore them for a bit, then it dawned on me I should probably test them for "waterproof" before I was out in the field. Bottom line is I tested them in a sink...ran some water over the toes....leaked through immediately....

So I took them back to REI...they took them back and I got a full return....at least they are good for that !

I then ordered a pair of Lowa Baniff Pro II...leather lined - from REI...NO GORE TEX!! I broke them in, applied Nixwax cream to them......I wore some mil surplus waterproof gaiters with them too......

Had rain, wet snow, snow, and melting snow during my hunt.....multiple days of wet....

My feet stayed warmer and drier than any gore boot I have used. The "mandatory" mid day remove boots to air out my socks and such...easy peasy...hardly wet, dried in minutes, not still damp when I put them back on.

Non Gore boots may be harder to find, maybe more $$$...but I'll never go back!!! YMMV....

skeen

FNG
I'm with ya,' Wacko. I've finally given up on all boots Goretex, as I have yet to find a pair which doesn't leak.

I just ordered my first pair of White's boots and am looking forward to gettin' 'em this week.

Archer45

FNG
I am in the same boat. I always wore Goretex boots and thought they were great - then I started doing some longer distance and multi- day stuff and really started hating them (hot and sweaty in summer, cold in winter, leak after a short time, hard to dry out). Looked around and found some Asolo FSN 85s (no Goretex). What a difference! Wore them in every condition imaginable and they worked great! My Asolo FSN85s are finally wearing out after many years and, surprise surprise, they are no longer made. It seems everything has been ruined with Goretex lol. Planning to try some of the suggestions here.

BigJon

FNG
Altberg boots out of the UK has some good waterproof boots that aren't lined with a waterproof "breathable" liner. They rely on good quality leather and user maintenance to keep them waterproof.

I like them.

WyoBC_99

FNG
I have some La Sportiva Karokorams that use a suede leather upper and no Gore-Tex for water resistant breathable combination. I love 'em in the right conditions.

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
Can you all elaborate on the Seal Skinz? I have in my mind that my foot would be pruned and raw from sitting in its own sweat all day. Not to mention the smell, as the above comment mentions...