Non hunters

Bigrog

FNG
What conversations about hunting if any do you have with people that don't hunt? Good or bad?

Just wondering as I was talking to a electrician contractor at my house yesterday and I brought up my upcoming hunting trip to Arizona.

He replied with I don't hunt or fish as I don't understand how people can get excited about killing animals.

I then explained to him its not so much being excited about 'killing' an animal as I like to eat the meat and killing is the only way to do that. He seemed surprised to hear that I only kill what I plan to eat. I also expressed to him the satisfaction of sitting down to a meal with your family knowing that you had a big hand in providing that meal.

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
I rarely run into antis, but my conversations with non hunters who aren’t anti usually revolve around how it is cared for, prepared, and tastes. Almost universally they have been fed bad game meat at some point and believe all game tastes bad, or “gamey”. I spend lots of time trying to convince them otherwise.

wytx

WKR
Big difference between anti hunters and non hunters.
We have many non hunting friends, they enjoy the game meat we share with them. Up here most realize hunters are hunting for the meat.
We've changed many a mind about gamey meat.

OP
Bigrog

Bigrog

FNG
I hear that alot as well. Whenever I mention eating whitetail deer here in Texas the response is always 'does it taste gamey?' I respond with it tastes like real meat :) Of course like you mentioned it is all about how you handle it after the kill.

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
Most of my family is full of "animal" lovers and they do not understand hunting heritage. When I have conversations about it I tell them it is about the process of getting food from the wild to your dinner table. You put in the work and effort in order to kill, quarter, process, etc the meat and have a direct hand in the process. It gives you a direct connection with the food and will make you appreciate all food knowing the work and animals' life that go into the food. The appreciation you gain will make you less wasteful and more mindful of your meals. I personally cannot stand seeing people waste food especially at restaurants. The majority of people are too pampered these days and disconnected from nature and food processing to be appreciative of how good they have it.

archp625

WKR
I live in the midwest so its probably a little more easy for me to explain hunting to non-hunters. More than likely someone in their family hunts or hunted in the past. I really talk more about the experience and being away from people than the actual kill. I don't think I have ever had anyone argue with me after we talk about the reason I go.

GueroUlt

FNG
The only reason I began hunting was because my fiancé’s family brought me along years ago. I never thought I would become a hunter but now I am! My family never hunted, and thought that I was crazy. But after doing it for years, they now see what I get out of it. Adventure, meat, and they get its way more than just “killing”. Heck, “killing” isn’t part of it for me. I process my meat and they see how careful I am with everything. I have changed their minds, I even got my mom and dad to proudly take a picture with my elk’s antlers last year 😄

i work in a building surrounded by non hunters. most are genuinely interested in hearing about it. I bring in a lot of game meat to pot lucks and such...which we used to have often... probably never again though.. but it always got devoured. I truly believe most non hunters are not anti hunters at all. frankly that is why it is so critical we do not do stupid shit to turn the ambivalent non hunter into anti hunters. if all those non hunters see or hear about the really bad side of hunting then they become anti hunters....and anti hunters vote. and they outnumber us tenfold.

mlgc20

WKR
My sister in law is an anti-hunting vegan. She doesn't wear leather, eat animals, the whole bit. We have had a lot of discussions on the topic. She does appreciate that we at least are eating what we kill. Ultimately, we don't agree on the topic. But, we do respect each others view. She doesn't shame my daughters (who also hunt and eat meat) or try to "convert" them. Similarly, when she and her family are at our house, we make sure they have dietary options that work for them. I don't copy her on the family text messages with my daughters successful hunts, etc. Frankly, I enjoy the discussion with a reasonable person who holds a different viewpoint. Obviously, very different from the name calling childishness you find online. I don't ever wade into that pool.

cnelk

WKR
I think you missed a bigger point by not explaining that hunters are 'game managers'. And the proceeds from license sales offer so many wildlife viewing opportunities to non-hunters.

caesAR15

Lil-Rokslider
I think you've got the gist of it OP. I like to respectfully ask people like that if they eat meat, then, again respectfully, inform them that game meat is the most ethical and cleanest form of animal protein there is.

I live in Iowa, the pork capitol of the world. Growing up we raised hogs, one of our family friends is one of Iowa's largest pork producers. I respect and appreciate farmers, but go spend even 15 minutes in a confinement building or meatpacking plant and I think most anyone would walk away with a deeper appreciation for hunting. Factory farming is... well, it's a complicated (and depressing) issue.

But I'm convinced that because big agriculture is such a messy business it's something that we hunters can (and should) benefit from. Feel free to flame me for this, but in some respects, I feel like I've got more in common with vegans than your average deli counter meat-eaters. We may differ on what we consume, but I know we've both at least given serious thought to what we consume which more than most people can claim.

Last edited:

caesAR15

Lil-Rokslider
The only reason I began hunting was because my fiancé’s family brought me along years ago. I never thought I would become a hunter but now I am! My family never hunted, and thought that I was crazy. But after doing it for years, they now see what I get out of it. Adventure, meat, and they get its way more than just “killing”. Heck, “killing” isn’t part of it for me. I process my meat and they see how careful I am with everything. I have changed their minds, I even got my mom and dad to proudly take a picture with my elk’s antlers last year 😄

Perfect summation of how valuable it is to invite non-hunters to join us, even if it's just as a non-hunting observer. If you can, you should.

TheGDog

WKR
Long story WAY shorter? Their minds can't conceive of the insane amount of effort the whole process entails, nor the insane amount of dedication it can require. They have no frame of reference in terms of the sweat-equity you have to put into it.

EDIT: Besides the fact that their heads are filled with a ton of engineered virtue-signalling indoctrination. I especially love when I get to have these conversations with Vegans! Because I can then show them things like this video here and explain to them how their lifestyle actually leads to even more creatures being killed then my own!

brsnow

WKR
I have numerous friends who have started hunting based on these discussions. The new hunters come from much different political and social background than “traditional “ Demographics.

Poser

WKR
Recently, most such interactions have been at trailheads with questions like “are you actually hunting in here?” With the implication being “I’m nervous to be hiking in the same place you are hunting” in which case I tend to take some time and explain some things conceptually, usually resulting in them being much more at ease and thinking about hunting very differently than they have previously considered.

Whisky

WKR
How much to hire some of you guys to convince my wife of the importance of my hunting?!?!?