non legal rams Alaska

Akshphntr

FNG
No i just think that if you need to glass a ram for hours you should move on to a wholly shit ram and fire as fast as you can. Quit shooting maybes and pass them up its better for the resouce

mdoolin

FNG
I just got back from a dall hunt in Alaska as a Non Res and my guide was awesome about verifying a ram was legal before we even got setup. He also told me a story of a hunter a few years ago that shot the wrong ram that ended up being sub legal. In that case the guide received the fine(not sure on the amount), the sheep was confiscated and the outfitter had to give the hunter a free hunt the following season.

Gwoodak

FNG
Had a friend shoot a ram that was 3/4" shy of full curl. He had to give up the ram and paid $1000 in fines. He fortunately didn't have to forfeit any equipment. I can tell you that even after observing a ram for multiple days that was full curled and broomed on one side that there was still a little voice in my head that was juuuuust a bit hesitant to tell my wife to pull the trigger on her ram. It was pretty relieving to walk up to it after the shot and confirm everything. Not to mention having her kill her first ram on a DIY after chasing the same ram for 6 days.

Broomd

WKR
The simple truth is that many guys and gals don't have the time to chase down a 40" ram, not to mention the rarity of such an animal in many areas.
I taught school in AK and barely got enough time to sheep hunt every year as it was with classes starting. If a ram was a legal it was targeted.
As a family we went 5 for 5 on rams the last 5 years we hunted before moving to Idaho. We're thankful for every hunt we experienced regardless of trophy status...

Stick test....

Attachments

• DSCN5190.JPG
    DSCN5190.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN4665.JPG
    DSCN4665.JPG
    276.4 KB · Views: 74
  • legal_full_curl_ram.jpg
    legal_full_curl_ram.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 76

Broomd

WKR
That may be true, but it is in essence the same as the last AK F&G determination photo in my former post. The stick just takes the place of the slotted line. It is just another way to try to help visualize legality.

wantj43

Lil-Rokslider
That may be true, but it is in essence the same as the last AK F&G determination photo in my former post. The stick just takes the place of the slotted line. It is just another way to try to help visualize legality.
When viewed from the side the horn tip can meet the criteria of passing through 360 but not meet the front view of the "stick test". If the tip passes through 360 by either "stick" or angle I think it is considered "legal".
Joe