Non load carrying daypack?

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I am hoping to get some advice for a new daypack. It looks like most people want a daypack that they can carry their animal back out with but my requirements are a little different. I spot and stalk hunt and when I get an animal we try and get as close as possible with wheelers and then use packboards to carry the quarters out. Mostly moose, caribou and bear. I'm currently using a very old cabelas scout pack and it has worked ok for quite a while but it is just worn out and beat up. Some things that I am looking for is a lighter weight pack that is rain resistant because it rains all of the time here, some sort of pocket or attachment ability for my tripod and spotting scope, hydro bladder capable, good zippers, and about 2000 cu in. It doesn't need to be camo but fairly quiet fabric. I have been looking on this site and going to sites like stone glacier, badlands, kuiu, etc. and it is hard to tell without touching them and checking out. I am hoping some of you use a pack like me and can give your insite on which ones work for you. thanks!

pc3

WKR
Son uses one of those Condor 3 day packs, carry's his spotter, tripod and gear for digiscoping/rabbiting etc. works well, pretty rugged and cheap.

Rodéo

WKR
My stone glacier avail 2200 has held up to 3 seasons of hard use and lots of airplane travel exceptionally well. Fits all the needs you described well too. Hunted with it plenty of times in rain and the gear inside never got wet, no pack cover either. It's pricey at retail but you could find a good condition used one on here or bite the bullet. It's been a much better pack than I expected and I was expecting a lot. Good luck with your search

OP
Kobuk

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
My stone glacier avail 2200 has held up to 3 seasons of hard use and lots of airplane travel exceptionally well. Fits all the needs you described well too. Hunted with it plenty of times in rain and the gear inside never got wet, no pack cover either. It's pricey at retail but you could find a good condition used one on here or bite the bullet. It's been a much better pack than I expected and I was expecting a lot. Good luck with your search
I did read on that pack and it does look pretty nice. Does it have a top grab handle? I don't see one in the pics.

OP
Kobuk

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
Son uses one of those Condor 3 day packs, carry's his spotter, tripod and gear for digiscoping/rabbiting etc. works well, pretty rugged and cheap.
Thanks for that but I'd rather have a full length cargo area and at least one outside pouch/pocket that I could strap my tripod to. Looks like a deceint daypack though

Reactions: pc3

Rodéo

WKR
I did read on that pack and it does look pretty nice. Does it have a top grab handle? I don't see one in the pics.
Yeah mine does have the top grab handle. Not sure if they've changed that since I bought it years ago but I like that feature.

Badlands 2200 is what I use as a day pack and fits exactly what you are looking for.

I use a mystery ranch 7500 for pack hunting.

But for hunting out of a truck or in deer camp it’s just perfect. Has an internal frame, good pocket organization, decent belt, dedicated spotting scope pocket, fold out orange meat shelf. It really is the ticket if you don’t want a frameless day pack.

Attachments

• 56DB25A7-47BC-45CF-A727-D441565FB32F.jpeg
    56DB25A7-47BC-45CF-A727-D441565FB32F.jpeg
    318.9 KB · Views: 39

Northpark

WKR
We got my dad a badlands 2200 a year ago. He has very similar needs as you and it has been perfect for him.

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
Packs are individual things like clothes sizes one size does not fit all. I have a tall body and wanted a framed day pack to carry hydro (3L), tripod/shooting sticks, kill kit, first aid kit and a change of clothes or additional layers. I fit the Badlands Creed and the 2200 but choose the Creed, the rest of my party choose the Diablo or Superday. I also use my pack as a rifle rest if the location allows, my pack is my best support for shooting from.

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
Ill second the Stone Glacier Avail. I am a smaller framed guy and was able to get it with shortened straps which helps. Perfect pack size for day trips. It is pricy but very comfortable and sturdy.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I’ve used my eberlestock X2 exactly as you described all around the world.
Know there’s no love on here for the brand and it might be heavier than some, but the stupid thing is bomb proof and won’t die.

OP
Kobuk

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, I’m liking all of the suggestions. I’m starting to narrow down the wants and I think I’m going to stay frameless or maybe one with a stiffener. Weight is an issue. My pack seems to weigh more than I want already! Haha

fishslap

WKR
I’ve used my eberlestock X2 exactly as you described all around the world.
Know there’s no love on here for the brand and it might be heavier than some, but the stupid thing is bomb proof and won’t die.
I’ve used the x2 as a day pack on several hunts then packed out quarters using a pack frame. Thumbs up for the x2 if it meets a guys criteria. I still use it for whitetail hunts but I use my kifaru woodsman for just about everything else.

EmperorMA

WKR
I use a Mystery Ranch Scree 32 for just about anything a daypack can possibly be used for, including daily commuting. The thing still looks like new ... it has been hiking, hunting, fly fishing and traveling for going on three years now and does not have a single blemish on it!

That being said, if I was picking out a pack for doing what you are doing I would go with the Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28 as a great daypack that doesn't have a frame to get in the way but does have the ability to carry some meat or a head/antlers, just in case I got an animal a bit farther from the truck than anticipated. It is always nice to have a load out of the woods before heading back to pack out the rest!

Attachments

• E185AABB-5305-46B1-8C03-5347974D40E1.jpeg
    E185AABB-5305-46B1-8C03-5347974D40E1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • 41E2F134-A07C-4A2B-B30C-A25A77C7BE29.jpeg
    41E2F134-A07C-4A2B-B30C-A25A77C7BE29.jpeg
    480.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 862913A9-19A9-43A1-8C9C-B78DE45BAEED.jpeg
    862913A9-19A9-43A1-8C9C-B78DE45BAEED.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 27