NON Merino Base Layers

yukonC

Lil-Rokslider
Alright folks I’m one of the idiots that can’t wear any merino... it’s all itchy even first lite stuff. I’m looking for advice on high quality synthetic base layers that I can wear several days without the funk getting to out of hand. Also any advice on lighter weight over the calf socks that don’t wear out after a few uses would be good too. I have tried darn too ugh socks but they are way tight on the instep for me. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
I think it's itchy for everyone when you first start wearing it.

Whenever I get new base layers they are itchy the first couple times and take a few wash and drys to feel softer.

Have you tried toughing it out for a while?

If you have, and need to go synthetic, I used to wear Under Armour cold gear bases and they are great at keeping you warm, maybe a little too good in some circumstances.....but man they stink after one sweaty day.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

For the past 5 years I have been using the military PCU level 1 base layers from Beyond Clothing. I let them air out at night and have never had an issue with smell. They have also held up remarkably well for the miles put on them....

For socks I use Kenetreks. My hunting buddy swears by the KUIU socks....

Have you tried a Merino Blend? I have a Black Ovis blend that I really like. Other than that, I just wear the Cabela’s ECWS synthetic line and have always liked them. I bought some Plythal Synthetic this year that I really like. Nice and soft but can’t speak to the stink factor. I am a good smelling dude 😎

Treated synthetics (ie Polygiene) and synthetic-wool blends will help. They will still stink but not quite as fast and not as hard to get out

I’m in the same boat as you as far as merino shirts being itchy. Sitka Core Lightweight and Patagonia Capilene have been the only synthetic layers that can beat the stink for multiple days. They are both treated with Polygiene. I have tried other brands with anti-odor technology. Polygiene is the only one that works. It’s been put to the test on backpacking trips, week long trip in Colorado, and several consecutive days of rucks and running in MissourI summer humidity.

I have heard KUIU’s toray stuff is good but never tried it myself.

j33

WKR
Sitka lightweight hoody is awesome for managing stink. Kuiu synthetics get stinky faster for me.
I can easily do about 3-4 days on my Sitka hoody of hard sweating

Have you tried a Merino Blend? I have a Black Ovis blend that I really like. Other than that, I just wear the Cabela’s ECWS synthetic line and have always liked them. I bought some Plythal Synthetic this year that I really like. Nice and soft but can’t speak to the stink factor. I am a good smelling dude 😎
If the OP is like me, the blends don’t help, washing doesn’t help, and lanolin doesn’t help. I tried running in a 50-50 blend shirt one time and felt like I had poison ivy after one block. Tried every high end brand out there...

Ironically, I can and do wear merino underwear and socks everyday without issue. It’s just above the waste that I have issues with.

Honyock

WKR
I smell like a dead goat by noon wearing Under Armour hunting. Sitka core baselayers don't stink quite as bad for me. I use merino for the most part, especially the bottoms. You might look at Smartwool or Farm to Feet on socks.

I like the KUIU peloton 118 followed by Sitka core lightweight. I have a bunch of merino but found over the years I’m warmer and more comfortable not wearing merino. The two above I can wear multiple days.
tip on smell, shave your armpits and chest if it’s hairy. The hair will smell and make your shirt smell.

RCB

WKR
Cotton t shirt. Won’t itch, won’t stink like a synthetic. Probably won’t kill you either.

You guys that have synthetic stink after one day or even just several days should consider that your laundry methods are lacking and also your hygiene is lacking. Not sorry if that offends you.

Your clothes are not getting clean, that could be caused by moldy crud buildup inside your washing machine. Look into ways to get rid of it, namely disassembly and cleaning by scrubbing and bleach. Try adding laundry disinfectant. It could be you have a lame high efficiency washer that simply does not agitate well enough to actually clean well.

And try different bathing techniques, different soap, a scrub puffy to defoliate, better deodorant, daily showering, and body powder. Oh you don't think need to shower every day, cool bro, why do you think you stink?

You need to get that funk off your body, it might take a while of daily effort. And you also need to go through all of your laundry and towels etc and get that funk out of your laundry. Then keep it off.

If you can't wear a simple Under Armour type shirt for one day without stink, it's absolutely you and it's not "normal", and you can change that with a little effort.

You guys that have synthetic stink after one day or even just several days should consider that your laundry methods are lacking and also your hygiene is lacking. Not sorry if that offends you.

Your clothes are not getting clean, that could be caused by moldy crud buildup inside your washing machine. Look into ways to get rid of it, namely disassembly and cleaning by scrubbing and bleach. Try adding laundry disinfectant. It could be you have a lame high efficiency washer that simply does not agitate well enough to actually clean well.

And try different bathing techniques, different soap, a scrub puffy to defoliate, better deodorant, daily showering, and body powder. Oh you don't think need to shower every day, cool bro, why do you think you stink?

You need to get that funk off your body, it might take a while of daily effort. And you also need to go through all of your laundry and towels etc and get that funk out of your laundry. Then keep it off.

If you can't wear a simple Under Armour type shirt for one day without stink, it's absolutely you and it's not "normal", and you can change that with a little effort.
Ya maybe if your truck hunting every day or a whitetail hunter. But the op is probably referring to base layers when you have to wear the same layer for a few days packed in on your back. Even if you take 1 spare max.

Hopefully your just trolling. Lol

Ya maybe if your truck hunting every day or a whitetail hunter. But the op is probably referring to base layers when you have to wear the same layer for a few days packed in on your back. Even if you take 1 spare max.

Hopefully your just trolling. Lol
Well, the OP has stated repeatedly that he is a turkey hunter, not a back country backpacker. I actually read his post history before I posted. So no.
First off, I’m a turkey hunter in the Midwest so I’m not climbing mountains but I have out 8-10 miles in a day before.
Anyways, what I posted about laundry and hygiene remains true.

Well, the OP has stated repeatedly that he is a turkey hunter, not a back country backpacker. I actually read his post history before I posted. So no.

Anyways, what I posted about laundry and hygiene remains true.
So you stalked on his profile before responding? Lol

There are a variety of brands that offer merino blends where nylon ranges from 11 percent up to 50 percent. I generally find 100% merino base layers itchy as well. Some brands that sell direct can be found with a google search. I like Wool and Prince with their 78/22 blend. I've read good things about Duckworth but haven't tried myself. I also really like yAthletics, which has a proprietary blend with a higher nylon content and also silver fabric to limit odor.