Non Migratory Bucks?

Thanks for the responses so far but I'm going to simplify the question. Does anyone specifically target areas for resident non-migratory bucks that live in or near winter range year round? If so what are your strategies? Do they have patterns or tendencies that migratory bucks don't?

Last edited:
Not knowing the area you are discussing, I can only through a few things out there. So here goes. Even non migratory deer utilize a wintering area. If this area is their wintering area, and no mature bucks were there, it suggests that those mature bucks did not yet reach that wintering area. So, you might try working up trail a bit more if possible (i.e., where they are coming from).

OP
Nickofthewoods
Unfortunately that's not possible because it would put me in another unit, so I either hunt there or abandon it for a different part of the unit where I can be more mobile like that. Thanks for that suggestion though, it kinda confirms what I think I'll probably have to do anyway which is find a different spot.

Not all the deer have seen the published migration routes and do something different.
Sounds like the area holds potential but that identifying a backup plan or two is advisable.
Take a look at the area on maps and satellite imagery then see if you can replicate it at lower elevation or a more southern exposure.

JustHunt

FNG
Not foolish at all to check back in there. It actually sounds like a damn good spot to spend some time in. Just because the CPW doesn’t show a migration route through there doesn’t mean a big old buck doesn’t pass through there in route to the winter range. Not all deer will take the traditional migration routes.