Non-mummy bag help

Midwestwaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy and I drew 2nd season CO deer tags and I am looking at sleeping bags/quilts. I went to REI to test fit some bags and everything they had was real tight in the shoulders and chest. I am looking for suggestions on other bags to check out for folks with wide shoulders. Also kicking around the quilt idea, but am doing some more reading on that now. Thanks.

Mosby

WKR
Western Mountaineering makes a great wide bag. I bought the Badger. Moosejaw sells them if you have one of those near you.

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
If you want synthetic the Kifaru slick bag is nice and roomy. I hate the feel of small mummy bags around the chest/shoulders and feet but I get along just fine with the slick bag. Just wish it was a side zipper instead of a center zip.

HookUp

WKR
Try a nemo spoon shaped bag. I am using a nemo riff and it has plenty of room for me to toss and turn.

OP
M

Midwestwaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks I’ll check out these bags. I tried a Nemo at REI that I believe said it was for side sleepers and it was still too tight in the shoulders. Any recommendations on temp ratings? I was leaning towards zero to be prepared, but I don’t know if a 15 or 20 would be better.

Try a nemo spoon shaped bag. I am using a nemo riff and it has plenty of room for me to toss and turn.

I am big in the shoulders - XXL 48/50 coats - and a side sleeper.

I had a Montbell burrow bag I like. Spiral baffles and stretch stitching make it move with you a bit and at a cheap price.

I decided to look at a new 20* bag and I gave a hard look to western mountaineering but ultimately didn’t want t o drop that much coin.

I took a step down the quilt road and got an EE apex convert. It works fine and I was in the habit of using my mummy bags as quilts anyway. The finished quilt was a bit smaller than there specs would suggest ( they publish the measurements of the unfilled blank which shrinks a bit when filled) and Weight and compressibility are not great relative to bags with the same or better ratings. I am fairly pleased after a few nights in it and plan to use it as a primary bag down to 15-20 degrees.

On a whim I used my REI dividend and picked up a Nemo forte and like it so far. I wish it were a bit bigger in the shoulders but It seems to work and the leg room is crazy.

Im a stockier guy, 5'8 208.
Last year I bought a down Enlightened Equipment Enigma quilt. It has a sewn foot box. I went with a regular wide in 30 degree. I also brought my Sea To Summit liner. September in Montana I took it well around 20 degrees and was just fine. Super warm! The key with a quilt is a high r value pad.
The quilt definitely has a nice bit of room for big shoulders. The straps that keep the quilt to the pad really let you side sleep with out any drafts.

I also bought an WM Alpine light last year. A 10 degree bag but if you're a bigger dude I'd go with the Badger. I was almost thinking about trading the Alpinelite for the Badger myself. But I've been losing weight faster than an anorexic cheerleader.

Honestly though the Enlightened Equipment quilt serves 90% of my needs. And the 10 degree WM bag is for late season or November in September.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Western mountaineering Badger for 20 degree bag. Roomy from the knees up and plenty warm.

Western mountaineering Terralite with over fill from Hermits Hut will get you a more roomy version of the badger with about the same temperature rating. I liked the fit of the Terralite better due to more room from the knees down. Also the Terralite has a dual zipper that extends down around the foot box for venting the foot box or opening the bag completely to use as a blanket.

These bags are pricey but worth the coin. Resale value is insane if you change your mind.

OP
M

Midwestwaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the advice guys. I’ve got a lot more options to research. Do you think I can get away with a 20 degree bag? Ive got puffy pants and jacket I can wear if I have to.