Non resident Alien tags help?

JP100

WKR
Hey guys
I am heading over to the states in 2015 and I have a mate from Colorado who I will be hunting with.
We are planning on chasing some speed goats in WY(he has hunted there before).
We cant seem to get any info from the Wyoming website about season dates ect.
could some one please explain it to me easily?
I have alot of trouble grasping how tags/seasons work as here in NZ we have no seasons/tags or restrictions.

Thanks in advance

ssliger

WKR
Most archery dates open on Aug 15th. Then rifle opens any where from Sept 10th to Oct 5th. Do you have any points? If not then buy a point this year. Do you guys have a idea on what area you want to hunt.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
Most archery dates open on Aug 15th. Then rifle opens any where from Sept 10th to Oct 5th. Do you have any points? If not then buy a point this year. Do you guys have a idea on what area you want to hunt.

Hi thanks for the dates.
I dont have any 'points'. what are they/how to get em? (probably a stupid question)
My friend has an area he has hunted for a few years but I dont know where it is

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can buy a point in June. All antelope tags are draw some areas never sell out and can be purchased over the counter after the draw. Some areas take multiple years to draw for each year you don't draw you get a point. Two points opens up a lot of units for you to draw which is why you would want to buy a point this year so you would have two next year when you apply.

colonel00

WKR
Since your friend is from Colorado I would assume he will be applying as a non-resident as well so I believe you will be getting the same tags. Since he has been there before, he should know if you both need preference points to have better drawing odds. Has he not mentioned any of this to you?

Depending on the game unit and animal to be hunted, Wyoming, like many states, offers preference points for tags that are awarded in a drawing. You can buy one point per year per species. Let's say there is an hunting unit that is known for trophy animals but the animal numbers are a little lower. There may only be 100 tags available. If 500 people applied, it would just be a lottery and you would have a 1 in 5 chance to get a tag. Now we bring in preference points. Let's say that 20 people applying have 3 preference points and that is the most for anyone applying. The first 20 tags will go to those 20 people. Now we say there are 75 people of the 500 that have 2 preference points. The next 75 tags would go to this group. Now we are left with only 5 tags out of the original 100. In the next group we have 150 people with 1 preference point. Those 150 people will be hoping to get the 5 remaining tags. Lastly would be anyone that applied without any points and they were really never in the running.

This is a very simple explanation of how it works but for coveted areas, you might need to buy points for several years. With that, there are other areas that have decent odds for no points and are almost guaranteed with 1 point. You would just have to research the area and past drawing results. You can buy the points through mid September I think through the Wyoming F&G website.

colonel00

WKR
which is why you would want to buy a point this year so you would have two next year when you apply.

I always get this spun around and around in my head but I thought that if you bought one point this year and apply next year, you are only in the group with one point. The application doesn't count as a point. Maybe I have this backwards as I always start thinking one way and then it flips but I know I asked the question not too long ago. I will see if I can find the thread.

Here it is: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?10560-Wyoming-preference-point-question

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
Since your friend is from Colorado I would assume he will be applying as a non-resident as well so I believe you will be getting the same tags. Since he has been there before, he should know if you both need preference points to have better drawing odds. Has he not mentioned any of this to you?

Depending on the game unit and animal to be hunted, Wyoming, like many states, offers preference points for tags that are awarded in a drawing. You can buy one point per year per species. Let's say there is an hunting unit that is known for trophy animals but the animal numbers are a little lower. There may only be 100 tags available. If 500 people applied, it would just be a lottery and you would have a 1 in 5 chance to get a tag. Now we bring in preference points. Let's say that 20 people applying have 3 preference points and that is the most for anyone applying. The first 20 tags will go to those 20 people. Now we say there are 75 people of the 500 that have 2 preference points. The next 75 tags would go to this group. Now we are left with only 5 tags out of the original 100. In the next group we have 150 people with 1 preference point. Those 150 people will be hoping to get the 5 remaining tags. Lastly would be anyone that applied without any points and they were really never in the running.

This is a very simple explanation of how it works but for coveted areas, you might need to buy points for several years. With that, there are other areas that have decent odds for no points and are almost guaranteed with 1 point. You would just have to research the area and past drawing results. You can buy the points through mid September I think through the Wyoming F&G website.

Thank you soo much for the info. we are hunting private land that has public hunting access apparently?
So if I buy a point this year and apply next year I will have one point? Better than no points I suppose.
Man this US hunting laws confuses my brain. It must be soo annoying.
Here you just buy a gun and go hunting. thats it.

colonel00

WKR
I don't think it matters if it is private or public land but I could be mistaken. Yes, the way I understand it now, if you buy a point this year and then apply next year, you will be applying with 1 preference point. Off the top of my head, I think points for antelope are only like $30 so that isn't too much. However, if you can find out from your buddy where you will be hunting or what unit, it will be much easier to look up drawing history.

Rucker61

WKR
Where are you hunting? We hunt antelope does on private land in SE Wyoming every year. We usually get leftover tags, although they ran out early this last season. I'm going to pick up a couple in the draw this year just in case. The doe/fawn season runs Sep 20-Dec 31 in our region.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
Where are you hunting? We hunt antelope does on private land in SE Wyoming every year. We usually get leftover tags, although they ran out early this last season. I'm going to pick up a couple in the draw this year just in case. The doe/fawn season runs Sep 20-Dec 31 in our region.

Im not sure of the block/sector(what ever its called). They usually rifle hunt for does as well(you can take 2 does?) but I wanted to try for a buck(hopefully).
Thanks for the dates. have just got an email from the guy in American we will be hunting with he has abit more info

Rucker61

WKR
Im not sure of the block/sector(what ever its called). They usually rifle hunt for does as well(you can take 2 does?) but I wanted to try for a buck(hopefully).
Thanks for the dates. have just got an email from the guy in American we will be hunting with he has abit more info

In the region we hunt, (GMU 35) we can get up to four doe tags. In our group, that meant that on Saturday we found out that 8 does makes 140 lbs of sausage at at 60% speedgoat. Good luck with your hunt, and let us know when you're headed over to the States.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
haha awesome!! bet they taste good. what you mix it with? pork?
any other general tips for speed goat hunting?
from my under standing its generally flat open country,no or little cover,hard stalking and possibilities of long shots.
and goats have very good eye sight and can run 50 miles and hour haha

Rucker61

WKR
haha awesome!! bet they taste good. what you mix it with? pork?
any other general tips for speed goat hunting?
from my under standing its generally flat open country,no or little cover,hard stalking and possibilities of long shots.
and goats have very good eye sight and can run 50 miles and hour haha

Where we hunt, it's slightly rolling, so you can sneak up to a few hundred yards sometimes. Long shots for us are the norm, they do have great eyesight, especially when multiplied by the numbers in a herd, and the slow ones only hit 50. And yes, pork, about 40% depending on the recipe.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
You can buy a point in June. All antelope tags are draw some areas never sell out and can be purchased over the counter after the draw. Some areas take multiple years to draw for each year you don't draw you get a point. Two points opens up a lot of units for you to draw which is why you would want to buy a point this year so you would have two next year when you apply.

***This is incorrect information! You can buy a PP between 7/1 and 9/30 and it is not good until the draw for a 2015 tag. You can only buy 1PP each calendar year and it isn't good for the draw until the following year. If you apply for a tag and draw it on your first choice you lose you PPs. A PP for antelope is $30. Whenever you do draw a tag you can either bow hunt during the regular season date that is normally done with a rifle or buy a $35 archery permit that allows you to also use the tag for the archery only early hunt in the unit you draw . You also need a $12.50 Conservation Stamp and if you don't have a card showing you have passed a Hunter Safety course you will need to pass a course and get a card in order to hunt.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your correct if you buy a point this year you would only have one point going into the draw. I meant one point plus you current years entry but Wyoming apparently doesn't count it that way

elly87

FNG
thanks for that but still says 'cant connect' or 'web page not available'
must be blocking NZ because we are terrorists haha.
will keep trying to get on there

Thanks
w.png

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
the WY site blocks all international users. so not much chance of getting it sorted.
thanks anyway.
anyone know why WY blocks everyone else?