Non-resident elk hunters breaking point.

I make a real good living, and I really like to hunt out west. But I'll be honest it's getting harder to justify the expense of tags, travel and time. I love the experience more than the kill, at least I'm finding that to be more the case as I'm getting older. I'm one of those eastern guys that hunts out west every year that sees that time coming to a close in the not too distant future. It really does feel like it's becoming more of a rich man's game, and even if I can afford it honestly it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Still will be going out west every year but I can see me not carrying a rifle with me in the a few years or at least not as often. And I know I'm not alone in those feelings.

I remember reading an online story about a guy that used to hunt and got into wildlife photography for that very reason. All the same experience was there from scouting, glassing, stalking etc but at the end you snap a DSLR instead of a gun or bow. There are no tags, politics or seasons and you end up with some badass photos. Some you can sell too.

I remember reading an online story about a guy that used to hunt and got into wildlife photography for that very reason. All the same experience was there from scouting, glassing, stalking etc but at the end you snap a DSLR instead of a gun or bow. There are no tags, politics or seasons and you end up with some badass photos. Some you can sell too.

Exactly.

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
Pack out will be a heck of a lot easier too.

Didn’t have time to read all replies. So sorry if this is a repeat

Don’t really have a set price limit. It all boils down to hunt quality. I would pay quite a bit if I knew I could have a good hunt.

I define that as seeing or at least hearing elk on an ongoing basis and if I do everthing right on my part, have at least one shot opportunity on at least 50% of my hunts. Maybe actual success 33%.

In the case of Colorado, general tags do NOT meet that criteria any more and the price is getting close to topping out on what I think it is worth. So no, a Colorado general elk tag is not worth $1000

As far as how long to wait, I would be good if I can hunt at least every other year.

Cseaman91

FNG
I have been purchasing bighorn sheep bonus points and plan to do so for at least 30 years before I draw a tag. With that in mind, I would pay up to $2k for an elk tag and plan to hunt every year. The only thing that would turn me away from hunting out west as a Non-Resident would be requiring a guide. It is a personal preference, but hunting would not be as fulfilling or rewarding with a guide.

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
For many of us it’s not the money. But there allot of people that would probably like to get out and hunt elk. Where a week off work, gas, tag and license, food, and gear isn’t doable.
I don’t have the answer but the elk belong to everyone rich and or poor. But the ones who have access and the means to go after the elk is slowly turning into a upper middle class or above affair. I don’t want any extra ass clowns flooding the elk woods and I have no control on what DFW and these shit head politicians do. But I’ll be getting after elk and Bowhunting until I can’t anymore. And I’ll make sure my boy can as well. Life isn’t fair. There are people that do, people that talk about it, and people that don’t. Feel free to pick your direction. We need to start charging and taxing the greenies to backpack and view wildlife. **** we are the ones who pay for their well being and management but many other groups reap the benifits of out Pittman Robertson money and tag/hunting license fees. Tax camping gear, and fee the shit outta the vegan, Patagonia/north face wearing douches, with their Subaru. Get money outta them.

We need to start charging and taxing the greenies to backpack and view wildlife. Tax camping gear, and fee the shit outta the vegan, Patagonia/north face wearing douches, with their Subaru. Get money outta them.

Be careful what you wish for. The more money that non-consumptive users put toward wildlife management, the more they're going to want a say in how that wildlife is managed. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

CoStick

WKR
Be careful what you wish for. The more money that non-consumptive users put toward wildlife management, the more they're going to want a say in how that wildlife is managed. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.
There is no doubt, here in CO, the CPW is starting to generate revenue in other ways. If other stakeholders start to realize their pull it could be an issue.

For me you can’t put a price on it, granted we all have our financial limits. I love it out west and if it wasn’t for family roots I’d probably move that way tomorrow. It’s kind of sad that you’re even asking this. I guess I can understand not loving non resident hunters in your state, however we have a massive impact on supporting your state and local economies. The sales from our licenses make up a considerable amount of the revenue needed to fund the state wildlife agencies and conservation efforts. The majority of us hunt a week or two weeks a season and the vast majority of us return home with an unfilled tag. We already pay on average 5-10 times what a resident pays for a tag. Not to mention the gas money we pay to venture out west (thanks Joebama). Be careful what you wish for. If non residents get to the point they move on to other endeavors what’s to say that our government officials won’t say the heck with wildlife management/land conservation etc. all together because it’s no longer profitable. It’s time we come together and support each other as hunters. Good luck this fall!
Well said.

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
We head out to CO or WY every 3-4 years. Hunt elk or mule deer rotating so we build points. We lease private land and pay up to $5k per person. All DIY just really access to private land which has been all the difference in our groups continued success.

PRC_GUY

WKR
I still hunt regardless of the price, , I go elk hunting once a year, my wife loves it when I bring elk meat home.