Non-resident Idaho DIY Elk 2022

Hi everyone, I’m new to Rokslide but I usually look at everyone’s posts for information for my hunts and some pointers.

Anyways, I am a younger bow Hunter from New Mexico and am looking for ways to hunt elk . I generally have success and can usually get on bulls fairly easy. However, getting tags here can be a pain sometimes and they just don’t seem to be bugling good until the last couple days of archery season. I have been looking at out of state opportunities in multiple states and I like what Idaho has to offer.

I have heard really good things about OTC elk hunting in Idaho and would love to try it out next year. I am not asking for areas to hunt, but would just like to know what it’s like to hunt there and what dates would be best (I’m guessing the end of September).

This past September I hunted the 1st through 14th and my buddy hunted the 15th through the 24th. I walked 120 miles in good areas that I scouted and had from years past. I heard a total of about 10 bugles on my hunt. On my buddies hunt, they were bugling better, but nothing like what I see in other states with better elk hunting. I just got back from a youth muzzleloader hunt and the elk were finally rutting in the middle of October, which sucks because I’d like to experience that in an archery hunt.

New Mexico has been good to me, this past September really put this state in perspective for me though. There are too many tags in these small areas and not enough big bulls to get on. I hunted wilderness for 14 days and ran into hunters wether I was 3 miles in, or 15 miles in. I also have only been drawing early September hunts (1st-14th) and I’d like to have more options for the dates which is something I like about Idaho.

I do not mind hunting the backcountry, wilderness, high elevation, or flat lands. I have the gear and equipment to do it all. I just want to know if it’s worth it to buy an OTC tag! Any and all information would be greatly appreciated!

Rob5589

WKR
Welcome! I would start with the Idaho fish and game website and decide whether it's worth it to you or not. Good luck!

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
"There are too many tags in these small areas and not enough big bulls to get on."

If you feel that way about a draw unit on NM, you are likely going to feel that way about an OTC tag in Idaho, or anywhere else for that matter.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

CB4

WKR
I went to Idaho the last two years 2019 and 2020. Wasn't able to go this year. I was in the Lemhi zone. From what I found NRs would backpack hunt and go in deep 4+ miles. Locals day hunted and stayed within a couple miles of the trailhead. IMO stay mobile and day hunt.

I've been hunting Idaho since 2014, tags are harder and harder to get every year, when I started hunting there you could buy a NR tag for a great unit in July, now these tags sale out in less than an hour on December 1st. If you do plan to hunt Idaho, you better be quick on the trigger if you want a tag. I'm by no means trying to discourage you from Idaho, just letting you know, just because its OTC doesn't mean its any easier than New Mexico.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
I will echo what others have said. I have hunted NM (3 times 15-20 years ago) and Idaho (More recently). NM has WAY less pressure. (Since every tag is draw)

I would challenge you to apply for/hunt better units in NM. (Except the ones I apply for! LOL!) Don't hunt memories or go by what someone's brothers first cousin hunted during rifle season 22 years ago. Seriously, every state has mediocre units, even AZ and NM. But the hunter numbers are FAR less in NM.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
The population in the panhandle has quite literally tripled in the last few years. The public land that's accessible is crowded. I live here, but am considering hunting the Frank Church, or moving to Wyoming.

Hunted the Panhandle again this year. Worst year we have ever had. Have hunted this zone for last 10 yrs. Not only has there been population increase but total mismanagement of the elk herd. Saw very few elk and little bugling

Scooter37

FNG
We hunt a zone in Idaho with capped resident and non resident tags so I wouldn’t say it was any more crowded than usual. Actually probably less crowded in the campground we stay at. Where I did notice it was much more crowded was 3-4 miles away from any road or trail system and 1500’ elevation up from the road and still running onto people left and right. There’s not many spots in the area we hunt where you can count on having it to yourself and you just have to deal with it. If you hear a bull bugle, you better get on it and expect other hunters are doing the same.
Here is a picture of the trail going up the hill from where we camp

Attachments

• 2049486E-A63C-4231-BB09-FFB463749A8C.jpeg
    2049486E-A63C-4231-BB09-FFB463749A8C.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 210

Maverick1

WKR
I've been hunting Idaho since 2014, tags are harder and harder to get every year, when I started hunting there you could buy a NR tag for a great unit in July, now these tags sale out in less than an hour on December 1st. If you do plan to hunt Idaho, you better be quick on the trigger if you want a tag. I'm by no means trying to discourage you from Idaho, just letting you know, just because its OTC doesn't mean its any easier than New Mexico.
Yes, times have changed. I hunted Idaho in 2006 and 2007, my first two elk hunts. I purchased those tags online on 8/23/2006 and 8/3/2007. (Those unfilled tags still hang on the mirror in my workout room!) Idaho used to be an "OTC" state; as you mention, many of the units now sell out in less than an hour.

JREG19

Lil-Rokslider
I am an Idaho resident and hunted archery elk for the first time this fall. I am new to archery but not elk hunting. I hunted every weekend from August 30th to September 30th. I found at least one good bull on each trip and every bull I saw was with cows. I did hear bugling every trip, mostly at night and not a lot. There definitely wasn't the kind of bugling you see on YouTube... I only hunted one drainage so I don't know if my results are typical. I think a guy could find a giant in every unit in the state... Like others have said and I agree IDFG is mismanaging Idaho's big game, I think their only interest is turning a trick. Don't be discouraged about coming here to hunt. Even if you can't get a tag in December there are multiple sale dates for returned tags, you just need to watch IDFG's website. Good luck!

Button

WKR
I’m leaning towards Idaho otc to get my feet wet in the elk woods. It’s a farther drive than CO but something tells me Idaho. I’m planning a summer road trip vacation with the wife to see that part of the country. She’s never been and I’ve only been up that way once. It would be nice to at least wander around and fish a potential unit before a September hunting trip.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I am an Idaho resident and hunted archery elk for the first time this fall. I am new to archery but not elk hunting. I hunted every weekend from August 30th to September 30th. I found at least one good bull on each trip and every bull I saw was with cows. I did hear bugling every trip, mostly at night and not a lot. There definitely wasn't the kind of bugling you see on YouTube... I only hunted one drainage so I don't know if my results are typical. I think a guy could find a giant in every unit in the state... Like others have said and I agree IDFG is mismanaging Idaho's big game, I think their only interest is turning a trick. Don't be discouraged about coming here to hunt. Even if you can't get a tag in December there are multiple sale dates for returned tags, you just need to watch IDFG's website. Good luck!
If you got onto good bulls every day you did way better than 90% of all hunters in Idaho.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
having hunted north Idaho every year since 1980…with a lot of success and knowledge of many drainages I can tell you where not to go…last year was the first year I did not pass on a bull and it happened again this year…yes there are still elk around but your chances are extremely limited in some remote drainages of north Idaho….Idaho still offers some very good places to hunt elk but other drainages are suffering from wolf depredation….the units offering a $2000 return for a wolf kill give you an idea of where to stay out of….wolves showed up in my area on trail cams in 2009 in 2011 I and a buddy each found over 40 fresh elk sheds this year we each found one and rubs have severely reduced over the last five years….I love seeing dead wolves especially in my area I went by a trapping sign last week in a drainage I’ve killed several nice bulls and just saw two wolves were trapped their this week👍1635216267377.jpeg

JREG19

Lil-Rokslider
If you got onto good bulls every day you did way better than 90% of all hunters in Idaho.
I'm not sure how others are doing but I believe your estimations. I admit I think my spot is above average in quality and quantity. Also there was almost no pressure, just elk being elk. I have never seen wolves or heard them there but do have a Pic of one on a trail cam. I'm not sure how other areas are doing but I do like to try out new areas and have pretty much had success every where I've been but I haven't been every where.