Non-resident Idaho Wolf Hunts

muleman

WKR
Does anyone have any experience wolf hunting SE Idaho? I would would like to give it a go this year. Are the tags tied to a specific zone or are you able to hunt any open zone? I have inlaws that live in Island Park year round. The only issue I see with around Island Park is that it has a shorter season and a harvest limit.

Any advice is welcome.

Should be the same as last year. Some units have quotas, some don't. Season open till quota is filled or season dates end. Tag is good for any open unit. Should be able to kill two wolves in most units, and five in some. Can buy up to five tags this year.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Thanks MuleyHunter.

For those that have hunted wolves in Idaho what zones are worth hunting. How about caliber is a 220 Siwft alright, or would a 270 WSM be better? I wouldn't think I would need the big iron.

What's the best way to hunt them? Howl to locate, challange call, predator call, or follow the elk?

Do ranchers like wolf hunters and grant access to their property?

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can look up harvest stats online - that's a good place to start for identifying which zones have been most productive. Island Park area has a strong wolf population.

I would probably recommend the bigger iron - these are nothing like a coyote man. BIG dogs... Your 270 probably is a little better at long range - 350 plus. Winter is the best time to find them - more concentrated on elk winter range and a lot easier to locate tracks.

All the tactics you listed will work - just have to test the waters and see.

Ranchers are pretty friendly toward wolf hunters - especially if they have livestock. They can be a good source of info about where wolves have been seen recently too.

Good Luck,

Coop

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
I would probably recommend the bigger iron - these are nothing like a coyote man. BIG dogs... Your 270 probably is a little better at long range - 350 plus.

My wife always tells me that my attituted is go big or go home. So I have been trying to make an effort to be more "realistic". My "unrealisitc" side says big iron is good and a load work up is in order. Thinking Barnes .338 TTSX in 160gr or 185gr at about 3100fps could work. Unfortunatly my real big iron .50 460gr conical over 110gr 777 doesn't have the distance.