Non-resident spring bear hunt 2022

Looking for some guidance on best state and unit to do my first spring black bear hunt in 2022. I have never hunted bear and would like to avoid areas with decent grizzly populations. I was thinking Oregon or Idaho. Btw, any state out west would be a non-resident hunt for me. Thanks in advance!

Everyone wants to know exactly this, but nobody wants to earn it And nobody with any brains is going to give out any good info on an internet forum.
Lots of attention-seeking, unemployed idiots post videos in YouTube that will give you an idea of what to look for. Google earth something that looks similar, and go there. After (likely) several years of figuring it out, keep it a secret when the next yuppie asks this question on the internet.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
C
Thanks. Just looking for some guidance, I’m from Florida and growing up fishing and spearfishing for 30 years, my GPS has thousands of fishing spots in the Atlantic that I wouldn’t share with any strangers. But I get asked all the time by tourists and newbies for good spots. I don’t give them my spots but I least give them some tips and put them in the area or what fish are moving that time of year. Not looking for anyone’s honey hole but just some guidance. Thanks in advance

OP
C
Unfortunately Florida doesn’t allow black bear hunting currently and probably won’t open for the next 8 years at least.

I'm not sure that just unemployed idiots are posting videos on YouTube... I think based on the views they get a lot of people enjoy them and, as you mention, people learn from them.

To the OP, I have experience hunting non res bear in Oregon but the waiting period can be 3 to 5 years, at least for the units I am familiar with. They use the point system. I would look at Idaho spring bear or Colorado fall bear.

Everyone wants to know exactly this, but nobody wants to earn it And nobody with any brains is going to give out any good info on an internet forum.
Lots of attention-seeking, unemployed idiots post videos in YouTube that will give you an idea of what to look for. Google earth something that looks similar, and go there. After (likely) several years of figuring it out, keep it a secret when the next yuppie asks this question on the internet.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
You are the man. “Unemployed idiots”

Original post,

spend a day to two days in the woods, chutes, cuts, blowdowns, on the trail, etc... you will likely find bear sign. Hunt fresh sign. Be in the “bear zone.”

Florida has had a two day bear season in the past. It’s a quota (250 bears or close to that number) the protesters were everywhere here in north Florida.

To the OP I’m in the same boat. I’m a bow hunter and wanting to do the same I’m guessing I’ll try with an outfitter first. So I can learn as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look up harvest reports for gmus. Find one with good harvest statistics and then get onx and find accessible public land. Plan for later may or early June so the snow is melted and roads are clear.
Idaho or Oregon are your best options for otc spring bear.
Northern Idaho has some grizzlies
Western Oregon is a wet jungle.
Washington may* not have a 2022 spring bear season.

Booking a guide may be a good option too.

Last edited:

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Idaho and we get bears every spring. I moved from northwest Montana to Idaho almost 30 years ago. If you are spot and stalk hunting I would go to Montana over Idaho. Spot and stalk in accessible areas can be tough as we have endless seasons, hound hunting and baiting plus reduced costs tags for non residents and lots of 2 bear units. It’s still good but Idaho bears get hit hard Montana is better for spot and stalk and overall age and size. Sorry Montana hunters lol. If you don’t mind waiting for draw your best bears would be Oregon in spring. Washington has a 2 bear season starts in august if you’re not set on spring that’s best spot and stalk western bear hunting. Corresponds with berries and easy to locate bears due to food source. I don’t know about Colorado or New Mexico. My freind from Idaho was working in California this fall and brought back a HUGE bear. According to him there were lots of large bears. For predators like bears you are better off in less hunter freindIy states as they have been somewhat protecting predators with limited seasons and methods. As a result they have older age classes and a lot higher populations. Idaho has had increasing seasons and tag numbers on predators since wolves showed up trying to help the elk and deer. Idaho still has plenty of bears but definitely wouldn’t be my first choice for an out of state bear hunt. I noticed op and another poster from Florida any contacts for a February gator hunt? I’m pretty sure I will need to go guided

LWatts

FNG
I used York Outfitters for my spring bear in 2021. Our group had 9 tags and killed 7 bear in 5 days. Out of Graingeville, ID. Chad knows his bears !

For the locals in southern Idaho on here I will be doing some scouting for a mule deer trip in the sawtooth area in may so I went ahead and bought a bear tag to use while I’m there. Question I have is should I buy a wolf tag too or am I good without one? Didn’t know how the population was in that area of wolves. TIA

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
For the locals in southern Idaho on here I will be doing some scouting for a mule deer trip in the sawtooth area in may so I went ahead and bought a bear tag to use while I’m there. Question I have is should I buy a wolf tag too or am I good without one? Didn’t know how the population was in that area of wolves. TIA
I’m not in that area of Idaho but I would say ALWAYS have a wolf tag in Idaho. I think they are still pretty dang cheap for non residents still ? If you want an easy shot at a wolf don’t bring a tag 😂 of course you could use your mule deer tag but you probably don’t want to do that

I’m not in that area of Idaho but I would say ALWAYS have a wolf tag in Idaho. I think they are still pretty dang cheap for non residents still ? If you want an easy shot at a wolf don’t bring a tag 😂 of course you could use your mule deer tag but you probably don’t want to do that
I appreciate your input and will buy one then lol…area we are hunting is on the west side of sawtooth but east of lowman…lot of wolves around those parts?

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate your input and will buy one then lol…area we are hunting is on the west side of sawtooth but east of lowman…lot of wolves around those parts?
Get the tag, plenty of wolves all over Idaho. I shot one bear hunting last spring when it chased a cow elk right through my camp....never know when you'll have an opportunity.

Quick question, if I’m just buying a reduced price spring bear tag for Idaho, I don’t have to buy the tag before feb 15 correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk