Non running guys, what are your workouts to prepare for the mountains?

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
I take it your incline treadmill isn't like the one I use. The one I go on goes all the way up to 30 degrees.
I am on a Nautilus at the gym, it only goes to 15 degrees but I've found anything over 10 for me (292 lbs) and the machine starts sticking at forward stride at footfall, very uncomfortable and can cause injury if not careful.

A3d you're going to plateau out on those machines quickly. Once you get a good bit of endurance and heart rate capacity under you I suggest trying to sprinkle in some crossfit WOD's. IF you really want to ramp it up give them a shot. All you really need is a barbell and a squat rack that you can do pull ups in and you can do most of the workouts. Medicine balls and kettlebells are extra for a little variety. Sounds like you're coming up to the point where you might want to give crossfit a shot and kick your workouts to a whole new level.

I hear you, and I may get there but I'm not there yet. A lot of "soft" left on me.;)

With bad/poor knee's you can do mega sprints on a bike on paved or dirt roads for more resistance. I was over in Denver and went to Redrocks this weekend. Got there at 8:30 a.m. and there were already 200+ people there. Put my 25lb grandson in a backpack up & down the 196 steps 11 X. Monday I had to come down the stairs backwords....got to remember thats a good pain

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
And while I thought of it... Rowing is my other favorite cardio workout. You want to really push your capacity? Get on a rowing machine and go to town. Tell me you aren't sweating like a hot pig at the 2 minute mark..

Nope 10,000 meters a crack for me, 43 minutes and change.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hit the stairmaster and the treadmill again today.
20 minutes on stairmaster to warm up
Jogged a mile and it loosened everything else up, then an incline for the next two miles on treadmill.

Been adding in bench press and various machines as I make my rounds in the gym. Nothing extremely targeted, just hitting what machines are empty and keeping the heart rate up then going to free weights after that.

Seems the main things I've been doing the most are:
upright exercise bike
treadmill
stairmaster

What I read paraphrased from your above is that you go to the gym and hit the treadmill and stairmaster most days. Then you hit the weightroom and use some random machines each time that just happen to be open/available.

Problem with this is your body will get accustomed to the treadmill/stairmaster or whatever machine you may be using the most for any given period. CHANGE it up, unless you are specifically training for something like a marathon (which you said you're not), and keep your body guessing.

Weight room should always come before the cardio when done in the same session. If you're using your stored energy in the cardio room, before you get to the lifting, you're not going to be making the mass gains you should be. Randomly just picking machines that are open to use without having a routine/program to follow each day/week/month/cycle isn't going to get you near the gains you could be making and its a waste of your time. Literally I mean your time, how much you spend at the gym. With proper timing, rep and set schedules, you should be in and out of the gym in 45-60 minutes of lifting. Covering 2-3 muscle groups. Add in a little cardio if need be, or better yet 2 a day it. Fasted cardio in the am, and lifting in the pm. This past Saturday I ran 24 people through 12-2 station workouts. 2 minutes on 30 seconds off (used to rotate to next station) in 60 minutes I had all 24 depleted of all energy, sweating like pigs, and didn't need 1 piece of heavy gym equipment. There are a lot of options out there when you start researching and asking questions.

Biggest thing I see from your post is to change it up, and make sure you follow a plan.

Last time I ran a step was Bloomsday 1992...hurt my knee and achilles and never bought another pair of running shoes.
Because I travel 70% + of the time I have found TacFit to be a great workout that I don't need a gym for or any equipment.
On the weekends I lace up the Kenetreks, grab the beagles and hit the trail with some weight in the pack.

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
What I read paraphrased from your above is that you go to the gym and hit the treadmill and stairmaster most days. Then you hit the weightroom and use some random machines each time that just happen to be open/available.

Problem with this is your body will get accustomed to the treadmill/stairmaster or whatever machine you may be using the most for any given period. CHANGE it up, unless you are specifically training for something like a marathon (which you said you're not), and keep your body guessing.

Weight room should always come before the cardio when done in the same session. If you're using your stored energy in the cardio room, before you get to the lifting, you're not going to be making the mass gains you should be. Randomly just picking machines that are open to use without having a routine/program to follow each day/week/month/cycle isn't going to get you near the gains you could be making and its a waste of your time. Literally I mean your time, how much you spend at the gym. With proper timing, rep and set schedules, you should be in and out of the gym in 45-60 minutes of lifting. Covering 2-3 muscle groups. Add in a little cardio if need be, or better yet 2 a day it. Fasted cardio in the am, and lifting in the pm. This past Saturday I ran 24 people through 12-2 station workouts. 2 minutes on 30 seconds off (used to rotate to next station) in 60 minutes I had all 24 depleted of all energy, sweating like pigs, and didn't need 1 piece of heavy gym equipment. There are a lot of options out there when you start researching and asking questions.

Biggest thing I see from your post is to change it up, and make sure you follow a plan.

Les, you are pretty much spot on and that is why I was throwing it out there.

I will say that I basically follow a 2-3 week rotation on the cardio machines.
After two weeks I try to make some type of major change.
If I have been running for most of my treadmill time, then I will switch to mostly incline walking. If I have been through that for a while I will switch to more elliptical work at a steeper incline and heavier resistance.

The problems I have with some workouts are old injuries, such as my right knee or my right shoulder. Some things I just can't do very well without aggravating those injuries.
In January I was following a pretty strict lifting plan, only to find it started giving me back problems. Stopped that and the back problems went away.
Based on that I do target specific muscle groups in lifting, but those machines or free weights may be a different form week to week based on what is available.

There is no doubt I need help and appreciate all that people have said.

So based on the main goal being weight loss, what should I be doing? for how long? and at what point should that change? and to what should it change to?

Forgot to add: 2 a days are out. Not even an option with my schedule. In an ideal situation, absolutely, but not for me right now.

Last edited:

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
a3d,

I could answer now, but I would be short changing you. These 18 hour days are killing me....Let me get to it tomorrow whenI'm fresher and I'll give you an answer then!

Les

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
Sounds good. I'm headed to Albuquerque for the weekend for vacation and the NCAA mens basketball national tournament so I'll check in later.

Hike&Hunt

FNG
I lift and do cardio all year long, constantly changing things up to keep the body guessing. Rep ranges from 6-50 per set. Cardio is on the stair mill or incline treadmill 15* or better. I dont run, ever! Mix of cardio from intervals, steady state moderate intensity ( hr=150), low intensity (hr =130), or with a pack and some weight strapped on.

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
a3d,

I could answer now, but I would be short changing you. These 18 hour days are killing me....Let me get to it tomorrow whenI'm fresher and I'll give you an answer then!

Les

Les, where you at???

Well, for me I tried the Asics 2170 and my feet did not like those at all.
Threw me right back into some foot pain from plantar fasciitis and I only got 3 workouts in last week.

One of those workouts, on Thursday, had me hammering my legs.
Squats, leg extensions, leg press, etc....until I couldn't lift anymore and felt like I was walking on cement legs!

Last edited:

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
I do a Crossfit style workout 5 days a week. Olympic lifts, gymnastics, energy system development, rowing, airdyne, and running ect. Swim 1-2 times a week.
Started hiking with a pack to prep for the miles. Since the land is flat here ( Ga ) gonna run some stadium stairs occasionally and hike the stairs at a tall building with a pack when the temps start to rise. I think I'll try the treadmill on incline too. Good idea!

G Posik

WKR
There is a lot of good advise here. Looks like for the next few weeks I will be doing some of the non running things as well. Was running in the pre-dawn the other morning and stepped in a hole. did a little twist to the left knee. It is tender and do not thing I tore anything just a little strain. Going to see Dr. to make sure. So will be avoiding any real impact for a few weeks, have to keep the cardio up. I have been running 4-6 miles a day in the mornings 5 days a week. Then to the gym during lunch 4 days a week for the weights. Just finished a 6 week cycle of heavy weight and now back to moderate weight and lots of reps for 6 weeks.

Glenn

philw

Lil-Rokslider
I just get tired of how long it takes to get things accomplished while walking on the treadmill at an incline, by the time I walk an hour on the treadmill then hit the weights I've lost 1 1/2- 2 hours at the gym.

Looking to hear some more ideas for middle age guys who aren't into running marrathons. ;)

Well, I'm 54 and I hate to run so that fits me to a "T."

Have you tried interval training on the cardio machines? It's been shown to increase your aerobic capacity faster and more efficiently than training at one speed. I'm no expert but it seems to work for me. I switch up on the machines but seem to gravitate to the Gauntlet machine since it's closest to climbing hills and the elliptical. Whatever you do, don't hold onto the rails, that just defeats the whole purpose by easing the workload and "cheating" as far as maintaining your balance. And switch it up by going backward too. If you want to work your stabilizers and improve balance, try setting the elliptical at high resistance, don't touch the rails, go backward, and close your eyes. It takes some getting used to but I guarantee your balance will improve and you'll have to work harder so it's a better workout.

I do cardio every third day in the gym, an hour of intervals on two different machines that leaves no gas in the tank. Followed by 15 minutes of stretching, which is just as important as you get older. On the other days I'll do resistance training, one focusing on lower body/abs., the other on upper body. As I get older, my joints can't take the strain of weights I used to lift so I've been gradually migrating toward body weight exercises and core strength exercises. High-rep push-ups instead of low-rep bench presses, things like that. Pull-ups, and different cable flies for shoulder stability. I was told I needed rotator cuff surgery five years ago but opted for shoulder-stabilizing cable flies instead; it worked (knock on wood) and I can draw the bow without the pain I used to have.

On the lower body/core day I do a squat machine with the weight on the shoulders to help with lower back. I like the machine rather than wieghts because one knee is a little unstable. I do prone leg curls for the hamstrings, since I have a surgically-repaired ACL and strong hamstrings benefit the ACL. I'm a big fan of box jumps, if done right they will flat kick your a** and really add explosive power that you need every now and then in the mountains. Also, a couple of differnt calf raises, and hanging leg lifts/ball crunches for abs. Mixed in with balance exercises like squats on a Bosu ball, and single-leg Kettle bell lifts over your head, those will really improve balance too.

Last but not least, one of the best things I ever did was get a golden retriever who has to have long walks at least a few times a week. We do a 3-4 mile loop at a local state park, off-trail over uneven ground. I always have a fanny pack that goes about 10 lbs. (got rocks in there to throw at the coyotes that get too close) and as hunting season gets closer I'll switch to a backpack with 30-40 lbs., it really helps and I think walking off-trail on uneven ground is key for your ankles and knees.

From one middle-aged guy to another!!!

I do interval sprints and hike hills with a pack for cardio. I'd like to try some Crossfit and more backpacking this summer. I also lift for about an hour and a half a day, really hitting it hard with free weights. I found this past year that having my legs in shape from big, bodybuilding type split, leg days helped enormously. Don't forget your calves either. I also ride a mtn bike a lot throughout the summer.

Tyler

Pueblo

FNG
It sounds like we have a lot of dedicated and educated members. I can't add anything particularly different than several other threads, but I'll share my experience with this.

I'm 52, used to run in high school but at 25 had major skiing accident (right leg 180 degrees in wrong direction). The doctor told me I shouldn't run anymore because I'd lost a lot of my meniscus, so I didn't. When I got serious about getting into shape again when I was 40 I did the 15% incline tread mill as fast I could walk and weight training, this did wonders. Over time I added elliptical, with a focus on sprint-like intensity burst over 5 minute periods; standard "Body for Life" stuff. I lost 30 pounds and kept it off for a decade. When I hunted or hiked I found my body was ready for most things. I've continued to have occasional ski injuries and I'm missing a few chunks of muscle from both calves from bad tears during falls.

In early 2011 my daughter entered a local 5K and I wanted to support her so I started to run....really tough at first but I now run 2-3 times a week anywhere from 3 to 7 miles each time and try to be very intense on one of them...definitely not jogging. No knee problems at all, although I have had small muscle pulls and soreness. This has added a whole new level to my fitness in two ways: I have better on the fly recovery than ever. I can push hard and get exhausted and yet hit it again within minutes; also I'm leaner, with abs starting to peak through, something I haven't had since high school. I attribute this to the added calorie burn. On the trail I really noticed this. In the Columbia River Gorge about 25 miles from my house there's a popular day hike called Dog Mountain. It's a 7 mile loop with a 3000 foot climb. I've done this in 1:50 stopping to take a couple of pictures. I actually run down the moderate sections to get a better time. This is a great supplemental workout, but I mention it mainly because this is a trail that prior to adding the running would take me almost 3 hours to do.

I'm interested in the cross-fit but haven't studied it enough to act.

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
Thanks for the great ideas guys.

Went out to Palo Duro Canyon today for a bike ride, was a little hot out there.

A friend of mine in the first pic, he had lost his front brakes and rears were barely working:
DSCN0438.jpg

DSCN0451.jpg

Me in the next two:
DSCN0448.jpg

the truck was reading 95 degrees before dropping into the canyon, it was hotter down there but not sure it was this hot...another temp gauge listed 110 degrees.
DSCN0437.jpg

Last edited:

Aubery

FNG
In fact that there is no single better physical conditioning excercise than running.
It is a core element of my preparation, and I don't run marathons.