Non SmartPhone backcountry ballistic solver options

Did some LR test yesterday. Had a bad charging cable for iPhone and nearly wasted my range time due to not having access to my Applied Ballistics app. I really don't like relying on the phone. For a multi day backcountry hunt, I would be dead in the water so to speak. Somewhat of a technophobe, but it's time to get with the program...pun intended.

What non Smartphone ballistic solvers are available ? Watched Sam's demo of Kestrel 5700 Elite. Looks to solve the issues. Upload profiles from smartphone. But only holds 3 rifle/ammo profiles?

Sig2400ABS? Completely stand alone once profiles are uploaded?

Options I am overlooking?

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
I think the Kestral is your best bet. I know two people who have made first round hits at a mile using the Kestral. I just need to save up for one.

freebird

WKR
I just posted this question last night. I have a sig 2400 ABS and was curious which would be better to have? I don't own a kestrel yet.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A Kestrel 5700 Elite or the Garmin foretrex 701 will be currently the 2 best options. I will say the Garmin is really nice because you can wear it like a watch so data is right there, and it is a GPS. So for how compact it is you have your ballistic solver, and a back up (or primary) GPS. The batteries last quite a while... and there is different power saving modes and screen brightness.

OP
J
I did notice the 701 a few months ago. I am more of GPS nerd than any other Tech. It was pretty appealing. But the Kestrel HUD and screen looks much bigger and easier to read. Not sure what environmental data the 701 would provide? I'll have to research.

For hunting situations it’s a rangefinder with a ballistic computer or dope cards.

Last edited:

skierhs

WKR
My apology if this was covered recently. I didn't see anything in the last few pages that was relevant
I’ve been using a 701 for the last year or two now and really love it. It shines most when your using it coupled with a pc making system I think. I highly recommend the device. The screen is very large and the interface I think is far easier to use than a kestrel. I still have a cheaper wind/temp only kestrel but I like my system much more especially with the range card and target card options.

I really like the range capability and how when my range finder needs to be upgraded every few years it will still be many, many years before the 701 won’t reach far enough for me since it can go well past 3 miles for solutions.

Last edited:

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I love my G7. And when you only Have a couple seconds to range a long shot and take, you can’t beat the range dial shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dogman11

FNG
I’m in the same boat I think the g7 is awesome but I have never been around a kestrel. I started out with huskewma scope and regular range finder. Now I use g7 and moa on all our rifles. I find it much more accurate for us than trying to use applied ballistics thru the phone. I’d like to hear what the thoughts are from someone who has used both a g7 and a kestrel.

dogman11

FNG
Luke I use a handheld wind meter, but then you could be in a wind break and 5 other things affecting bullet flight between you and the target, that’s where art, science, and practice meet!
That said when you range on a g7 it gives you moa then you can scroll the arrow keys and it gives you the wind holds in moa for a 5,10,15,20,25 mph wind at that distance. I’m not familiar with the kestrel, I don’t have a clue how it works if anyone knows I’d like to hear a comparison.

freebird

WKR
I have the Sig 2400 ABS, its a great range finder and am not sure I quite know how to use it to its fullest. It has a little wind meter that you can plug into your headphone jack on your phone, but iPhones don't have a headphone jack anymore. I hear a ton of great stuff on the Kestrel 5700 elite with link....was watching some you tube video's on it last night. But, its $700 and that's a fare chunk of money. When your in the back country with no cell service I am not sure how you would get all the variables?? A gunsmith friend talks about density altitude being a biggie on long range shots.

OP
J
But, its $700 and that's a fare chunk of money. When your in the back country with no cell service I am not sure how you would get all the variables?? A gunsmith friend talks about density altitude being a biggie on long range shots.

Kinda lost me here^....the 5700 will provide you with every variable needed...minus the distance to the target

WyoElk

WKR
Kinda lost me here^....the 5700 will provide you with every variable needed...minus the distance to the target
Is it clunky to use the Kestrel, in conjunction with your rangefinder? Just seems slow to get everything plugged in but I haven’t used them so it’s totally foreign to me. The SIG looks pretty automatic but it’s speedy.

For guys like me that wind can each my lunch on more occasions than I care to admit, how do you guys work out your wind holds with just the rangefinder with ballistic comps?

I typically am hunting pretty thick stuff and trying to range and get dope from a kestrel has costed me shot opportunities. I leave full value 5 mph wind in the kilo abs and use that for minor wind corrections. If it’s really gusty or switchy I just haven’t shot. I typically hunt solo but could see it being easier/quicker if a pair has one person on the gun and the other ranging and getting dope.

That said, I don’t have near the number or shots on game as you Luke. In your case I’d probably carry the kestrel as well for the trickier shots where you have time.

For me the clunky part about a kestrel is having to record wind, enter range, direction of fire, and angle of fire. I tend to not do it very efficiently when under pressure of a moving animal! It’s nice for intermediate shots to just range and have dope immediately.

freebird

WKR
I haven't used a kestrel and really to be honest haven't used my sig 2400 a whole lot either. Sounds like I may have answered my own question for me.

I run a G7 and a Kestrel 2500. When I get the G7 good and tuned in to a specific load and use the Kestrel to help out with wind value. It works pretty damn fast and accurate for me.

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
G7 or sig abs rangefinders hands down for realistic hunting situations, u can’t ask the animal to wait!! , shooting paper is totally different , there are better systems