Non-stiff boot for mountain hunts

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
Long story as short as I can make it.

I have a very wide foot and a history of ankle problems.

In 2014 I bought some Lowa Renegades to break in for a 2015 Alaska moose hunt. Liked them in training but ended up wearing wader pants the whole trip so never really got to use them as intended.

2017 trained for a caribou hunt (in the mountains) and used the Renegades. Liked them a lot but only had one really tough day of packing (2 bulls from the valley to the strip at the top of the mountain).

2018 hunted high alpine mule deer in the Renegades. Feet were wet and cold the whole time (deep snow). Wrong boot for the job for sure.

2019 got some Lowa Tibet's to train in and use for a sheep hunt in the Brooks. 98 miles on my feet and they were destroyed by day 3 of 11. Main problem was crushing of my pinky toes on the outside. I also had hot spots on the outside of my big toes. My foot was getting pummeled going downhill. Came back from that hunt and got the same boot but one size larger. Have been wearing them on day hikes and whitetail hunts and my left pinky is still very unhappy.

I have a high mountain moose hunt planned for this fall and am strongly considering going back to a more flexible boot.

Looking for someone to tell me they hunt in mountains with a less than stiff boot so I can confidently go back to a Renegade or similar. I see the posts about changing insoles but I lack faith in that as a fix for my problem. Thanks.

2019-08-12_14-00-20_352.jpeg

MThuntr

WKR
Several friends hunt early season elk with Solomon Quest boots.

Personally I think it was the fit of the Lowa Tibet and not the flex of the boot that got your feet.

Felix40

WKR
You can get away with more flexible boots. Ive worn renegades and oboz bridgers on pretty much all my hunts with no issues. Like you, I got blisters when I tried to go stiffer.

tdot

WKR
I've had great success with the Scarpa Zodiac GTX. Basically an approach shoe with an over the ankle cuff.

I'm just starting to break-in my new Scarpa Ribelle HD.

I have a wide Toe, but narrow thru the rest of the foot. Both of these boots fit well, with the Ribelle being a bit wider in the heel.

Insoles wont necessarily make a huge difference right away. Theyll make a difference after several days, when a foot would normally start to collapse and toes spread out.

As I've gotten older (50) my feet no longer tolerate softer soles. My advice is to use a soft sole as long as your feet will let you.

Beendare

WKR
Fit is everything.

Its individual preference. Stiffer soles feel clunkier...but those can provide a solid footbed that don't wear out your feet. Some feet just feel better with stiffer soles....some are fine with the flex.

Terrain makes all the difference. Spend a day slipping and sliding on steep sidehills in some day hikers with your foot practically blowing out the side and you will feel the difference. But then on easy trails those same day hikers are great.

Seems obvious but......Key is to get those boots long before the hunt and put a lot of miles on them in varied terrain. This helps condition your feet...and wear in the boot.

_____

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
Have you tried on meindl boots they usually work well for wider feet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

MTForester

Lil-Rokslider
I also can't handle stiff boots for high mileage. Have packed lots of heavy loads in lightweight Lasportiva hikers. Just make sure you get your feet and ankles in shape beforehand. I do my summer backpacking in trall runners. I used to roll ankles all the time in heavy mountaineering boots. Can't remember the last time I rolled one in the lighter lower profile shoes.