Nonresident hunters under attack on the North Slope- HB211

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
If you are planning on hunting the North Slope/ specific herds under this proposed bill and are a nonresident, you'd better pay attention to what is going on in Alaska.

Alaska State Legislature

This bill unfairly targets nonresidents opportunity in specific regions and herds while allowing other opportunities. It is my understanding that this bill was sponsored by residents of Unit 23. Apparently getting Federal lands shut down to non residents and non local Alaskan residents is not enough. Hiring a guide will drive up the cost of many DIY hunting trips, in most cases the cost will double a NR. This effectively will put the North Slope and associated herds out of reach for many a NR hunter.

While I do not believe that this bill will pass, based on the discriminatory nature of the language, it could and then be challenged. Perhaps the lower 48 states need to double the cost of all their hunting licenses towards residents of Alaska and require them to hire guides for hunting our public lands and animals as well. :mad:

Ray

WKR
Keep in mind that legislative bills are not how the fish and game management of AK is conducted. Its left to appointed boards which consider proposals which are reviewed by the public and once approved by the board are turned into regulations. This act is not going to go anywhere...but how messed up our legislature is these days, where they do anything but the job they were sent to JNU to do, they could move something as stupid as this through the system.

Daniel_M

WKR
Regardless of the trajectory of the bill, I wrote a letter and distributed it as a nonresident that has visited that area to caribou hunt and plans to again.

What I find interesting, is that his purpose is to protect the resource for the future of those who subsist though he doesn't outright claim that, in doing so would advocate a rather prejudice stance and we know that isn't kosher as a politican....In my experience in keeping up with the news, there has been more wanton waste against those who subsist versus non-residents. Spending a few thousand bucks is a big motivator in eating what you kill.

Point Hope comes to mind.

Last edited:

Tod osier

WKR
What I find interesting, is that his purpose is to protect the resource for the future of those who subsist though he doesn't outright claim that, in doing so would advocate a rather prejudice stance and we know that isn't kosher as a politican....In my experience in keeping up with the news, there has been more wanton waste against those who subsist versus non-residents. Spending a few thousand bucks is a big motivator in eating what you kill.

Point Hope comes to mind.

Absolutely. As a NR I ate on the trip and/or brought home every bit of meat I've ever taken out of state, including Alaska.

If you read his Facebook post, he makes his intention crystal clear.

Daniel_M

WKR
Yep. Exactly why I shared the link.

Residents (can) get the same treatment under different methods. I've been met with discontent a few times in my explorations over Alaska.

Tod osier

WKR
HB 211 passed the house yesterday by a slim margin, but there are some procedural issues that I don't understand (having to do with the effective date not passing and a reconsideration of a vote). Looks like it is moving forward. Any AK residents have a sense for its future in the Senate and with the Gov?

Daniel_M

WKR
No clue where politics are going these days, it's a crap shoot.

There's additional measure to lock even residents out of certain areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bambistew

WKR
I'm not 100% sure what the effective date means, but from what little digging I did... the bill has a date to start (july 2018), but if not accepted as the "effective date", then it would be in effect in 90 days instead.

Still has to pass the Senate and Governors office. Doubt it will make it through the Senate, and even more doubtful it will make it much farther this session.

All speculation on my part, so take it for what it is.