Nonresident hunting license.

Bsd0323

Lil-Rokslider
Good evening gents, I hope this is the right place to ask this. As an eastern hunter, NC, I've often longed for mountain ranges out west. I've got a few question concerning nonresident tags. I'll use wyoming as my example here. It seems to be all draw based to me. The website mentions a $15 dollar fee for nonresidents. Is that per species per gender? Also, why are cow tags so much cheaper, quantity? My brother and I have been discussing hunting out west within the next few years. Any recommendations for states and or species? To put it in a better perspective if you could only hunt one state, one season out west a year what would you pick?

Thanks

Warmsy

WKR
Good evening gents, I hope this is the right place to ask this. As an eastern hunter, NC, I've often longed for mountain ranges out west. I've got a few question concerning nonresident tags. I'll use wyoming as my example here. It seems to be all draw based to me. The website mentions a $15 dollar fee for nonresidents. Is that per species per gender? Also, why are cow tags so much cheaper, quantity? My brother and I have been discussing hunting out west within the next few years. Any recommendations for states and or species? To put it in a better perspective if you could only hunt one state, one season out west a year what would you pick?

Thanks
I live in clifornia, and I find the hunting regulations to be terribly difficult to understand. I pored over the regulations to find out if applying as a party for premium tags would get preference points fir both if us were we not selected... 12 emails! I thought I was taking to a robot. Good luck finding the answers to your questions.

Cow tags usually have less demand, partly why they are cheaper. Harvesting cows does more for population control than harvesting bulls, so departments have objectives to reduce, sustain, or slowly encourage population growth which will set how many tags are available. Bull tags are more coveted, and they're doled out for more revenue vs. what the population can reasonably endure based on success rates. Also depends on if the state/zone is being managed for quality/quantity or opportunity.

Someone may correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it is 15 per application in WY. Any species/sex drawings you enter incur that charge for each application. I'm not 100% sure because I have only been building points there.

For opportunity on elk, if you haven't been playing the game long, Idaho and Colorado are (at this time) good choices. OTC tags are available, though recently have had zones(units) and allocations reduced, from all signs they will be gone in the future. If you don't plan to start playing the game in the systems, I'd suggest looking at those two soon.

Montana you can get a general tag almost every other year currently, not a terrible option.

NM (like Idaho) doesn't have a points system. Although your odds are low you've got a chance to draw. Just not something you can plan on getting often/reliably.

As for telling you what to pick and choose, that's hard to do. It's up to you to decide where and what you want to hunt. You can start by applying for Wyoming antelope, Colorado Elk/Mule Deer, Montana a combo elk/MD hunt, etc. Just depends on what appeals to you.

There are a lot of resources and overviews of how certain systems work and the opportunities. Randy Newberg has some decent stuff on YouTube, you could spring for GoHunt, search through forums for information like here and HuntTalk - these questions have been asked over and over so you should find them through a search petty easily.

wapitibob

WKR
Cow tags aren’t any cheaper unless you buy type 6/7 reduced price.
There is a $15 application fee per app except for the leftover draw.
If there is something you don’t understand about the regs just ask.

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
I live in clifornia, and I find the hunting regulations to be terribly difficult to understand. I pored over the regulations to find out if applying as a party for premium tags would get preference points fir both if us were we not selected... 12 emails! I thought I was taking to a robot. Good luck finding the answers to your questions.

Yes everyone will get a point

LostArra

WKR
Have you considered Kentucky?
I don't know one thing about their draw system but I was reading about the success of their elk reintroduction program. Even if the odds are bad it might be worth the app fee since it is a lot more convenient from NC than"out west".

You can hunt elk every year in the west. Focus on Colo, Wyo, Idaho or Montana. Pick a state. Learn their draw system. No one can post all the details here but you can get specific questions answered. Half the battle is learning the draw vocabulary for a state.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk