nonresidents will bend over in Wyoming

ST52v

WKR
HB 236 was introduced after the last one got shot down. This bill only increases tha price of nonresident tags. Resident prices stay the same.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We are fighting it, i promise. I sent my reps letters with 3 separate ideas to raise revenues. PM me your email and i can send you the ideas to email as well.

jmez

WKR
I don't have problems with state's raising NR fees.

I still have a very big problem with WY's horse**** non resident wilderness area situation.

huntwest

Lil-Rokslider
Send our reps letters stating you will be leaving the point pool. It will help!

Would you have a list of their e-mail address?

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ok, here are my proposals that i have sent to the state legislators. If there is enough interest, they might listen to some of them to help break the revenue gap. Send them letters!

1. Statewide wolf tag, not just the trophy zone. No regulation change other than the requirement to have a tag to hunt wolves. Trophy zone and shoot on sight remain in tact, but what hunting resident wouldn't have one in their pocket? What non-resident wouldn't have a tag in their pocket if it were affordable. Tag also allows real tracking for the number of people hunting them for use in possible defense in court later.

2. Create a separate tag for Whitetail Deer. Currently a resident, or non-resident must pick which species to hunt, but with the sustainable growth in the WT population it only make sense to add that tag. I would buy a general WT tag, as would most hunters here, especially as we see the numbers in the river bottoms on a constant increase.

3. State sales tax on all camping equipment.

I am ok with the Residents paying a bit more as well.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, here are my proposals that i have sent to the state legislators. If there is enough interest, they might listen to some of them to help break the revenue gap. Send them letters!

1. Statewide wolf tag, not just the trophy zone. No regulation change other than the requirement to have a tag to hunt wolves. Trophy zone and shoot on sight remain in tact, but what hunting resident wouldn't have one in their pocket? What non-resident wouldn't have a tag in their pocket if it were affordable. Tag also allows real tracking for the number of people hunting them for use in possible defense in court later.

Good idea to me. Idaho made their non-res wolf tag very affordable ($30?) and they sell.

Idaho got cocky with Non-res fees a few years back (along with bowing to pressure from residents who won't pay even a few bucks more) and raised their non-res fees. Although there are other factors that play in (wolves, Colorado deer hunting comin' on), it was the nail-in-the coffin and has cost Idaho millions of dollars in lost tag revenue.

Montana got away with it, but they already had a waiting list.

With Wyoming deer hunting in the decline, I'd guess they'll land somewhere between Idaho and Montana results. I know that I don't apply for the special deer price much anymore where in the early 2000's, I did all the time. It's not really the dollar amount that's keeping me away, but the value for the dollar is poor.

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
I like sreekers ideas. I'll add selling grizzly bear permits when they are delisted, however that will be a long fight with the anti's

huntwest

Lil-Rokslider
Well it looks like hb236 will not be passing this session. I hope wyoming can find another way to help fund the game and fish.

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
the best way to fund the game and fish is cut expenses,,,,, but I guess we know that isn't going to happen.....

I disagree with the permit to shoot a wolf outside of the trophy area, if we go there we will need a permit to shoot any predator.

I really like the idea of being able to hunt WT and Muley on different licenses

Make it fair and make rifles hunters buy and additional permit like archery hunters do,, that is my biggest pet-peve with our state.

I will email my ideas in also

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
As a rancher and visiting with my rancher friends who are not hunters but carry a gun to shoot coyotes, wolf etc.. why should we have to pay to shoot animals to protect our livestock?

HOT ROD

WKR
wyelkhunter U shouldnt need a licsens. To kill all the predators U want. On Ur own ranch. U could dig them a proper grave. No one would ever no.....

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Wyelkhunter, you should be able to protect your livestock. But as it stands WyGF have to keep track of how many wolves you kill, and without a tag they have no added revenue to do so. So we rob the elk of attention it needs(which you hunt), say in making sure that they aren't passing brucellosis on to your cows in order to manage wolves. We can't have it both ways.

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hot Rod, nobody would probably know but if it were required to have a permit to shoot wolves I would get one, I don't agree with breaking the law no matter how I feel about said law.

sreekers, I agree there needs to be a way for the G&F to get more funding (ideally it would be cut wasteful spending) I just don't feel it should come through a predator permit. We already have to pay for ridiculous stamps and licenses suck as an archery permit on top of the hunting license, elk feed ground permits if the G&F classifies a hunt area as such etc....

One way the G&F could raise money that I would go for is have a system where you buy the license then you have to buy a archery permit if you want to hunt during archery season and a firearms permit if you want to hunt during that season.