Noob - Etolin Elk - first tag ever!

I have been searching are reading like crazy and I am trying not to repeat questions already here. I am very familiar with the terrain and environment but I have not set foot on that specific island. I have a cabin just across the strait, fish around the island and have gone on hurts on Prince of Wales island. I have a new fairly stout boat I intend to take over and pack gear in from the beach. Planes are too unreliable during October and expensive so thats out for now. There is a good chance I will be on POW for all of October and may be available to assist the early hunters if needed with some logistics.

My first and maybe the most important question is regarding shelter. As you know it will be 50 degrees and raining sideways most days on average so a place to dry out ourselves and gear is important. I know it could be hot and dusty as well but that would be an exception. I can't imagine packing a wall tent up from the beach and I cant imagine sleeping in a two person backpack tent either. If that is what needs to be done thats what we will do but is there a compromise?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Brendan

WKR
I'd pick something like a Kifaru Sawtooth with a stove. SeekOutside has options too. Hard part is going to be getting one this close to the season as it's the busiest time of the year for them.

LostArra

WKR
Hijack: where do you plan on taking your boat ashore? I have fished along the west side but never went to any beach. In fact, I didn't see much beach where we were fishing; more of a sheer rock wall.

And a heated shelter like Brendan mentioned sounds like the best option.

OP
NevadaMike
Hijack: where do you plan on taking your boat ashore? I have fished along the west side but never went to any beach. In fact, I didn't see much beach where we were fishing; more of a sheer rock wall.
I will probably head into one of the inlets on the southwest part of the island. Burnet and McHenry inlets are closest to where I dock my boat. On the northwest end of the island there is Steamer Bay and there is even a Forrest service cabin with a mooring ball. I have an inflatable and A 2.5 hp outboard to go ashore.

OP
NevadaMike
I am back in Ketchikan headed home with my head hanging low. As has been said here before that island is a beast. We managed to cover over 20 miles that we remember to record on OnX or Strava. Every step was uphill, wet and muddy. Do not show up without micro spikes! Your knees, hips and lungs need to be solid. Don't expect any trails. We also boated around to several coves and took the dink to shore for the day. We saw some limited elk signs but we only saw three deer. The wolves always let us know they were there either with howling or fresh tracks in the mud. Fortunately I have a boat and a cabin nearby so we could bring a ridiculous amount of gear to stay comfortable at night affordably. I can't imagine what the cost would be for the hunt otherwise. When we were headed home a group of hunters came down who had flown in and we took them back with us. Their report was the same. Having said all that discouraging stuff let me say WOW amazing country. I don't regret it for a minute and I would go again in a heartbeat. I spoke to the local ADF&G biologist and the elk numbers are way down so I would go with lower expectations for elk and attitude for the adventure. I can't get pictures to load but I will try again.

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
Jealous you got to experience it, even with minimal elk interaction. Every report back from Etolin hunts confirms just how difficult it can be. I would really love to see photos if you can figure it out. Thanks.

Did you make it up to the high country much? How were the deer numbers in thr alpine?

OP
NevadaMike
Did you make it up to the high country much? How were the deer numbers in thr alpine?
We made it up to the alpine twice. We saw two deer on the trip and they were both down low. The other group we ran into camped up high in the alpine and only had wolves to report.