Noob Optics Question

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
You have received a TON of advice above about how to spend your money, but I think the best came from idahohiker. For around $1000, you can get into a really good used (or new meopta, maven, nikon, etc) set of binos and a mid range spotter. It may not be "alpha", but coming from the midwest and just starting to hunt MT, it'll be all you need. I live in MT and use Zeiss Conquest 8x32 binos, and a Vortex Viper spotter. I have about $1100 invested all together, and have no problem finding and judging animals. Save that extra coin....you'll find more than you can imagine to spend it on once out here.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I'm curious about the new Vortex Razor UHD's. If price tag is a way to measure quality, then they should qualify as "alpha glass"...

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm interviewing for some jobs in Montana, once I move, I plan on my first hunt being a spring bear hunt. Being a Midwesterner, I haven't relied on glassing...really ever. All I have is a cheap pair of Vortex Crossfires 8x42, which I have been pretty happy with. I'm planning on getting some new glass soon and I'm not sure if I should focus on getting a good mid-range spotting scope (Vortex Razor 16-48x65), or get a nicer pair of binos. I'm already planning on getting a good tripod. I guess my thoughts are, I might want a spotting scope for determining if a bear is a sow or boar. I understand for Elk all you need is a good pair of binos, unless you are hunting for a trophy class bull. I plan on updating my binos eventually anyways, but I'm planning for a wedding and won't be able to fit getting both in my budget this year.
I would go with binos first!!!!! Your 3 most important items.... Boots, Optics and then a Pack. Some may agree with me some may not that's ok but if you cant see them what are you chasing!

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm interviewing for some jobs in Montana, once I move, I plan on my first hunt being a spring bear hunt. Being a Midwesterner, I haven't relied on glassing...really ever. All I have is a cheap pair of Vortex Crossfires 8x42, which I have been pretty happy with. I'm planning on getting some new glass soon and I'm not sure if I should focus on getting a good mid-range spotting scope (Vortex Razor 16-48x65), or get a nicer pair of binos. I'm already planning on getting a good tripod. I guess my thoughts are, I might want a spotting scope for determining if a bear is a sow or boar. I understand for Elk all you need is a good pair of binos, unless you are hunting for a trophy class bull. I plan on updating my binos eventually anyways, but I'm planning for a wedding and won't be able to fit getting both in my budget this year.
If you are looking or just have any questions on optics and what you may be looking for I will give you all the help I can get.

OP
holzgene

holzgene

FNG
If you are looking or just have any questions on optics and what you may be looking for I will give you all the help I can get.
I appreciate it, I've decided to save up a bit more in order to get binos in at least the $1000 dollar range. Once I have the money I'll probably give you a call. Ill also need to upgrade my clothes and might give you a call to try and figure out a good versatile layering system.

OP
holzgene

holzgene

FNG
Since I posted this I have keyed in on the Nikon HG. BUT now I can get a screaming deal on a pair of Zeiss Victory SF 10x42. My question is, will I really be able to notice a difference? Is it worth the extra 500-600 dollars? When I say screaming deal I mean screaming deal.

Since I posted this I have keyed in on the Nikon HG. BUT now I can get a screaming deal on a pair of Zeiss Victory SF 10x42. My question is, will I really be able to notice a difference? Is it worth the extra 500-600 dollars? When I say screaming deal I mean screaming deal.
I’d get the Zeiss. Those sf may be the best 10x42 on the market

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say you buy the best pair of Bino's you can afford and if those arent better than what you have, save for next year and the next until you can. Maven Optics has a Demo program where you can basically get a pair for a reduced cost, if you like them you can either keep them at that cost or order new ones if you don't like them or it's not working like you need them too you can send them back. All you pay is shipping.

LaHunter

WKR
I'd say right now, 1K
If you are patient and stay on top of the optics classified ads and ebay, you can find some used Swaro SLC binos at or very close to $1k. As long as they have been taken care of and the glass/coatings are in good condition, there really is no difference in performance in used vs new. The warranty is transferable also.

Personally I'm a binocular fiend and would say you will never regret spending a bit more to get better binos.