Noobie Needs Guidance

First off, I want to thank/blame (depending on how this fall goes down) Robby Denning for his posts on muzzleloading. This has helped steer me and clear up some of the voodoo of muzzleloading. I remember first hearing about the concept in hunter's ed and wondering how people don't blow themselves up. Now, I think I have a plan for the fall, but could use some help getting over the hump and pulling the trigger (pun intended) on my first smokepole.

To put things in context, I'm a new hunter and exclusively hunted archery so far for the past two years. It's been a fun and humbling journey. I love archery since it's a sport that requires a level of discipline and as the season approaches I basically live at the 3-D range. That said, a few weeks ago, my wife and I welcomed our son to the world and I can see not having the usual amount of time this summer to prepare. As a result, I'm looking at picking up a few muzzleloading tags to get me out in the field around the same time as archery season. Also, I'm looking to become a more well rounded hunter. I want to be in a position that when I have X points for a species, I can put in for just about any method of take since I'll have experience with a wide variety of weapons.

In some particular order, here's a list of initial questions I had:
1. How many range trips does it take to get totally comfortable and confident in the rifle? I'm hoping that 2-3 trips a month from now until the season starts (obviously ramping up as things get closer) would be sufficient to get comfortable shooting from different positions and also to ensure my load is working as intended.
2. What is the deal with primer availability? I'm sure you all are feeling the hurt, but I'm wondering if primers have been trickling in here/there or if it's been a desert for the past several months. What are the chances I'll be able to start shooting in the spring?
3. Related to the above, how do loads differ/vary when changing to a different primer? I'm in CO, so I'll be shooting 209 primers (and likely Blackhorn 209 powder). Say I develop a load with brand X primers and now all I can find is brand Y, how much variance will there be in trajectory (bullet and powder being the same)?

Appreciate the help in advance. I'm still deciding on whether or not to take the plunge, but so far many things have been demystified about muzzleloading and I'm definitely taking a hard look at using this method of take this fall.

WCB

WKR
1. Totally depends on how competent you are. I have seen guys that shoot every weekend...however they are horrible shots and I am not sure how they still have all their limbs. First priority would be getting a load that shoots well that could take a half dozen shots....cold take 20 or 30 this total unknown. My current load took 3 shots basically. Had 3 different powder charges ready and poured. first charge I tried first 3 shots 1" at 100 yards done. Just to get used to shooting a gun maybe borrow a 22 or something just to get trigger time.

2. If you can find them buy them...start looking now. It is not going to get better...not in a month, 6 months or even a year.

3. I use Fed 209A...tried Winchester in the same load (using Triple 7 Pellets) and saw a doubling in group size. I currently use 209As with 95grs BH209 and haven't tried it with that. If you find priers buy at least a couple hundred and you won't have to worry for a while.

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
shoot until you know your rifle as well as a loved one. Any changes you make in your load, regardless of how simple it may be, needs to be verified at the range.

OXN939

WKR
3. Related to the above, how do loads differ/vary when changing to a different primer? I'm in CO, so I'll be shooting 209 primers (and likely Blackhorn 209 powder). Say I develop a load with brand X primers and now all I can find is brand Y, how much variance will there be in trajectory (bullet and powder being the same)?

Sounds like you have a good general idea. I'd reiterate to find a load (i.e., combination of components) you want to use and then start buying all the components you can find, from powder to primers to bullets, whenever you see them, in person or online. If you start that now, you'll likely be alright by hunting season. The guys who wait til August are going to be in bad shape this year.

Regarding primers, they don't change trajectory enough to notice with a CO legal blackpowder setup. The biggest thing is the consistency with which you get ignition. For BH209, you need the right breech plug and powerful primers- like these- for it to reliably ignite. Primers that say "for muzzleloaders" on the package are generally weaker than standard shotshell 209 primers and don't have the horsepower required to ignite BH209 reliably. If you find your load now and start practicing consistently with it to make sure you get the ballistic performance and reliability you want for your hunt, you'll be fine by fall.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'll just say that you have plenty of time to figure it all out. In 2017 I had had a ML sitting in my safe for 10 years and had never even shot it. Then a week before ML elk started here in CO, I was loading up my truck for my archery hunt when the DOW called and offered a ML bull tag to my 16 year old daughter. Someone had turned one in and she was next on the list. We took it, and we had a whole hour and a half of range and familiarity time to get ready for her hunt. She did a fantastic job of learning quickly and then shot the first bull I called in for her at 30 yards. So having 7 months of prep time, I'd say you're golden. What part of CO are you in?

Attachments

• 0910171856a.jpg
    0910171856a.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 7

87TT

WKR
There you go. Spend more time learning to call and "elk" hunt and don't worry about shooting so far.