Norma Brass not Chambering

WDO

FNG
Has anyone run into any issues with Norma brass having re-sizing issues?
Or issues with the belts on this brass?

I've been reloading for my 300 WM without issue up until the other day. I typically use Hornady brass ( only fired in my rifle) and was given some norma and hornady brass from a friend (factory loads, he shot them and doesn't reload so he gave me the brass).

I FL resized the norma brass and handloaded them. When I went to chamber the rounds, the bolt would only close with heavy force. Enough that I was able to get one to chamber, but I didn't shoot it due to the difficulty. Back at the bench, I rechecked the case length (good), the FL die touching the shellholder (good), and measured the belts. I was not able to verify the exact shoulder location, but the belts on the norma brass were .002 larger than the hornady brass. I then took some of the hornady brass that I was given (shot out of the same friend' browning) and had no issue with resizing this and loading it in my rifle.

So from the research I've done, I've seen people reference the Larry Willis die as it may be a bulge near the belt. That said, as of now, all I know is the belts on the norma brass were all .002 larger than the hornady brass, and hornady (bought new for my rifle AND shot from a friends rifle), re-sizes, loads, and chambers fine.

thanks for any help

If you want to use the Norma brass you could try this. If not Id just stick to what fits your rifle and keep shooting.
Try and adjust your sizing die to cam over a little. Touch the shell holder and then turn the die down about a 1/8 turn.
If the actual size of the belt is .002 larger in diameter that shouldn’t matter either.
Using brass fired in another chamber you should always size a piece and check it in your rifle to be sure it fits before loading them also.

gbflyer

WKR
What kind of rifle do you have? Factory or custom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harvey_NW

WKR
You need to actually measure the shoulder with a comparator and bump gauge, just case length and bottom of die touching shell holder doesn't produce the numbers you need. That being said, I would bet money you're right on your guess and are going to need the Larry Willis die. This issue is the reason why I sent my belted mags down the road.

Last edited:
OP
W

WDO

FNG
What kind of rifle do you have? Factory or custom?

My rifle is a custom 300 wm (defiance action, bartlien barrel).
The brass I had given to me was shot out of a browning hells canyon.

B23

WKR
If your die isn't screwed down far enough to at least touch or slightly bump the shoulder back it's very possible, even likely, for your brass length, case head to shoulder, to come out longer after you FL size it.

Many times I've talked to guys that had no problem chambering their brass before they FL sized it then after it either wouldn't chamber or was very tight on close. Generally it requires a FL die be screwed down to some amount of cam over on your press to properly size your brass.

I think Cahunter805 has it right and you need to adjust your FL like he suggested.

gbflyer

WKR
Seems like if your resized Hornady brass is chambering then you don’t have a setup problem with your die. I think you’re on to something with the .002 difference.

There are some wild variations in belted mag headspace. It’s been my experience that a BM go-gauge is pretty generous. A lot of gunsmiths, not all of course, whether they admit it or not use new brass to set headspace. If memory serves standard SAAMI is .220 breach face to belt, plus .0005. I’ve seen brass as short as .212. If your chamber was setup for the short brass, you will have problems chambering anything longer. Your FL die will not correct this, nor will the bulge buster die.

Probably have to avoid the Norma brass, which again in my experience is very close to spec. Hornady on the other hand has shown to be undersized in all aspects.

wapitibob

WKR
A larry willis die will resize in front of the belt. A fl sizer won't do it without nocking the shoulder way back. If the belt itself is oversize I suspect his chamber is a bit over yours. The willis die won't size the belt itself.
I load a belted mag and when I changed actions I had to toss all my previously fired brass as they wouldn't chamber even after fl size, shoulder bump, and willis die. The only thing at that point is the belt itself or the neck hitting the end of the chamber.

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
just out of curiosity, can you wreck a piece of brass by over sizing it and get it to chamber?
in situations similar to this i have ground a few thou off of the shell holder. also you could buy some other brands of shell holders because they all size the brass differently because they are different heights.

Like stated above since the Hornady brass fired in your friends rifle fit after you FL sized it, I’d guess the problem is in the base diameter on the Norma brass right in front of the belt. Take a piece of the Norma brass and sharpie it just above the belt and also the shoulder and chamber it. See where it’s making contact.
All that said do you really need the Norma brass? Sounds like Hornady is working for you and I’d say just keep running that. Your chamber being custom may also be cut undersized or headspaced a bit different.

Last edited:
OP
W

WDO

FNG
Thanks for all the replies.

I plan to check the things above and see what I come up with. That said, since I have plenty of the hornady brass, it'll be a side project once I get what I have loaded up.