Norma Whitetail Ammo

Anyone shot the Norma Whitetail line? Appears to be new this year and has been showing up in stock pretty regularly at a decent price which has me intrigued.

From what I can tell it's loaded with their "Soft Point" bullet but I'm a bit confused because they offer it in configurations that are not found in the bullet-only reloading components (e.g. 150gr 7mm .284).

Is this a rapidly expanding cup/core bullet & a poor choice for elk ?

https://www.norma-ammunition.com/en-us/products/dedicated-hunting/centerfire-rifle/norma-whitetail

caseroj

FNG
I made a promise not to buy any new ammo at the current inflated prices but I broke the promise today and purchased 5 boxes of it online in 300 Win Mag 150 grain PSP bullets. It is a cup and core non-bonded bullet but it seems to me the copper jacket is mechanically bound to the lead core at the center. If you go to Norma's web site they show you an illustration of the bullet which shows a crimp in the circumference near the the center of mass. To me that resembles the Remington Core-Lokt bullets so the projectile will be able to hold together when it hits the animal. Also on Norma's web site is a list of game recommended for this bullet and it looks to me like Elk is at the upper end of the spectrum. It will work I am sure especially if you make a good shot but I would aim just aft of the shoulder blades so the bullet will barrel through the rib cage and take out the lungs.

RMP

FNG
I'm pretty pleased with it. I have some .308 150 grain and some .300 Win Mag 150 grain. I haven't it shot a lot, but I put some through my .308 and got sub-MOA groups with it. Norma ammo is historically very good ammo. I want to see how it does in my .300 Win Mag. I suspect it will group as well as the .308.

seawolfxix

Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t notice this until now, but everything from 7mm-08 up to 300 WM has a 150 gr bullet. Does this seem odd to anybody else?

ID_Snow

FNG
I've shot 5 boxes, and have 10 left. I bought a shit ton (in 7mm-08) as practice ammo for this and maybe next season - it doesn't shoot particularly well out of my ruger american, 1.5-2" when I'm on it. I've shot .75" groups out of this rifle with other factory ammo. It seems like a similar bullet to the hornady interlock - cup and core with a crimp ring to minimize separation issues, still a soft, thin jacketed bullet though. I would avoid the shoulders, and I would avoid shooting elk with this bullet at magnum velocities.

TxxAgg

WKR
Shot 20 rds of 6.5 Creedmoor today and a buddy shot 1/2 a box of 243. Both shot 1-1.5" groups at 100 yds. Good enough for the girls I go with.

25orSo

Lil-Rokslider
So far the Norma .30-06 ammo is holding 1 MOA. I have a couple boxes of older standard Federal with 150's. They have shot a bit under 1 MOA in this rifle.

The real reason I bought the Norma ammo is for the brass. The ammo I got was less than what Norma brass was going for......... IF I could find it.

Shot some 6.5 creed to zero a new AR10 and it was quite accurate for the money. MOA or a little better in my rock creek barrel. For 24.99 and norma brass to reload not bad at all.

I’d love to find some 180 win mag. Would buy most of it lol

25orSo

Lil-Rokslider
Got my first 50 pieces of brass empty and started prepping them.

Sized and then went to trim them. Only had to trim about 10 out of 50. Another 10 were at the trim to length. The other 30 were a bit less than trim to length.

Primer pockets & flash holes look good.

TxxAgg

WKR
Academy has tons of this on the shelf in .308, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag.

I saw a little in 7mm Mag and 7mm-08 also

I need 6.5 CM and of course they're out.

JJRC3

FNG
Academy has tons of this on the shelf in .308, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag.

I saw a little in 7mm Mag and 7mm-08 also

I need 6.5 CM and of course they're out.
Norma Ammunition just launched their online store: https://normashooting.com. They are offering free shipping and as of yesterday had over 7,000 cases of 20 in stock for 6.5 creedmoor. Coupon code “1902” was good for an additional 5% off.