Normal wear or nah?

While wiping down and going through my newest rifle today I noticed some things that I thought may be abnormal wear on the action and bolt. I compared it to all of my factory rifles with significantly more rounds through them and none of them have the same scratches, marring, wear. Most notably on the inside of the action where the bolt lever rests is scratched up, on the centerline of the action adjacent to it has a chunk out of the coating, and I'm just concerned about it.

This is my first custom rifle and I was a bit dismayed at how much smoother my Tikka factory actions were and how much less the would bind when cycling the bolt.

For context the rifle is chambered in 300 Norma, and is a lone peak razor action. The rifle was built in May/June, It has 80 rounds of federal premium ammo through it and has been used almost entirely on the range with a relatively slow rate of fire.

any insight would be awesome, hopefully I'm just overly worried because it's my first custom build

Attachments

• 20220102_164823.jpg
    20220102_164823.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 169
  • 20220102_164914.jpg
    20220102_164914.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 20220102_164908.jpg
    20220102_164908.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 170
The marks at the back of the action could be from putting the bolt in, removing it when cleaning, that type of thing. Could be from a cleaning rod, jag tip, metal loop tip. Not saying they are from cleaning, just speculating since you asked for opinions. They aren't sliding or rotating wear marks in my opinion, as you said, it is scratched up and "chunked up".

The mark on the bolt shroud, you should be able to see if it's making contact somewhere. That looks more like a typical wear mark, without seeing it in person, it's just taking a guess at it.

As far as the bolt, are you asking about the marks inside the fluting? It doesn't look like the finish coming off on its own or from rotational/sliding wear and tear. Again, in my opinion from seeing the pictures you gave.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
Fairly normal. Rifles wear when metal rubs metal. Some finishes are more durable than others.

It doesn't look like your action is timed very well to me.
Marks from the bolt handle and looks to be wesr on the corner of the recoil lug.

Id have the Smith look at it.

But u also do not see a drop of lube on the thing.

Try cherry balms bolt balm.

ID_Matt

WKR
Something seems odd there. those aren't normal marks in the bolt body. I have 2 lone peaks and neither ones have anything like that after hundreds of rounds. They are also extremely smooth and have zero binding. I would have your gunsmith look at that.... is that the standard nitride finish or cerakote?

OP
E
The marks at the back of the action could be from putting the bolt in, removing it when cleaning, that type of thing. Could be from a cleaning rod, jag tip, metal loop tip. Not saying they are from cleaning, just speculating since you asked for opinions. They aren't sliding or rotating wear marks in my opinion, as you said, it is scratched up and "chunked up".

The mark on the bolt shroud, you should be able to see if it's making contact somewhere. That looks more like a typical wear mark, without seeing it in person, it's just taking a guess at it.

As far as the bolt, are you asking about the marks inside the fluting? It doesn't look like the finish coming off on its own or from rotational/sliding wear and tear. Again, in my opinion from seeing the pictures you gave.
I only really showed the bolt in the event someone else saw something that would be causing the abnormality inside the action. The wearing of the nitriding seems normal enough to me.
I agree that they definitely don't appear to be sliding or rotating marks, but it is right at the end of the bolt throw so maybe it's just from the lungs hitting their end of motion in the action?

As far as cleaning supplies to, I completely agree it could cause it, but I always use a bore guide, cf rod and brass jags, so I think that could be eliminated

OP
E
It doesn't look like your action is timed very well to me.
Marks from the bolt handle and looks to be wesr on the corner of the recoil lug.

Id have the Smith look at it.

But u also do not see a drop of lube on the thing.

Try cherry balms bolt balm.
I have been using white lithium very lightly on the bolt lugs and then a light coat of hoops lube on the main body. I'd just cleaned it when I took the photos, but maybe those are not ideal combos?

OP
E
Something seems odd there. those aren't normal marks in the bolt body. I have 2 lone peaks and neither ones have anything like that after hundreds of rounds. They are also extremely smooth and have zero binding. I would have your gunsmith look at that.... is that the standard nitride finish or cerakote?
I believe the outside of the action is cerekoted and the inside and bolt are nitrided.
I'll have to ask the builder but my invoice said "cerekote barreled action" as a line.

ID_Matt

WKR
I believe the outside of the action is cerekoted and the inside and bolt are nitrided.
I'll have to ask the builder but my invoice said "cerekote barreled action" as a line.
My only guess is it has to be something to do with the cerakote. I looked at my steel fuzion last night that has around 200 rounds through it and it still looks brand new. Zero signs of wear. It is an all black nitrided version.

OP
E
My only guess is it has to be something to do with the cerakote. I looked at my steel fuzion last night that has around 200 rounds through it and it still looks brand new. Zero signs of wear. It is an all black nitrided version.
What caliber is yours in? I'm wondering if the 300 Norma will develop more wear that short/regular long actions?

ID_Matt

WKR
What caliber is yours in? I'm wondering if the 300 Norma will develop more wear that short/regular long actions?
6 dasher. Pretty insignificant compared to a norma. My 7 saum is on a lone peak titanium and it shows a little bit of fading but nothing like yours.

I would talk to the gunsmith that built the rifle. It looks like he cerakoted the action inside and out and possibly some of the bolt. If so this would also explain why it’s not as smooth especially if he applied it thick/incorrectly.

OP
E
I would talk to the gunsmith that built the rifle. It looks like he cerakoted the action inside and out and possibly some of the bolt. If so this would also explain why it’s not as smooth especially if he applied it thick/incorrectly.
I'll definitely talk to him. Is there a way (if I decided to do so) to have someone strip cerekote and reapply it? I'm really unfamiliar with cerekote. Or will cerekote eventually wear down and smooth out?

Wapiti1

WKR
I'll definitely talk to him. Is there a way (if I decided to do so) to have someone strip cerekote and reapply it? I'm really unfamiliar with cerekote. Or will cerekote eventually wear down and smooth out?
It will wear down and smooth out. I personally hate it inside the action. Hardened steel on hardened steel is how it is designed and it should be left that way. Paint adds thickness and just makes it sticky.

I'd take a stone to that and clean it all out of the bolt raceway. Even hot blue will make an action sticky, and should be polished off the rails and inside the rear bridge. They should have taped the inside off when they sprayed it, but many don't.

Cartridge choice doesn't change how an action wears. Care, original fit of the parts, metal hardness, finishes and lubrication affect wear. Nothing or nitriding are the best options. DLC is OK, but still a coating.

From the photos, yours is cerakoted only with no nitriding to be seen. Nitrided parts are black and it cannot be easily removed since it is not a coating. You have to literally grind the surface away. Nitriding does not chip or peel.

Jeremy