North Carolina Fall Bear

Going for black bear in western NC next fall. Any pointers for new bear hunter? Been hunting turkeys and whitetail for 20 years in this area....so familiar with area and such...just not bear tactics. Thanks in advance

Never been but thankfully (some of) our NC public lands are finally opening up to Sunday hunting!
Most bears in NC are killed by hound hunters. Tough to spot and stalk but I'm sure it can be done with some legwork!

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
Find the local food source they are using think acorns (white oaks preferred over red oaks), pokeberry and devils club. Then sit on it. Tree stand or ground doesn’t seem to matter. Watch your scent. Good luck!

OP
ChrisCarson
Find the local food source they are using think acorns (white oaks preferred over red oaks), pokeberry and devils club. Then sit on it. Tree stand or ground doesn’t seem to matter. Watch your scent. Good luck!
Thanks!!!!

Spot and stalk in the NC mtns will be tough. Since baiting is legal, your best bet is to hug some private land where someone is baiting for deer and bear and hope to catch one moving back and forth from a bait pile. I've spent a lot of time roaming the NC mtns trying to spot and stalk a bear and it's hard. The environment is not conducive to good spot and stalk and glassing. There are a few areas where this can be done, but not many.

OP
ChrisCarson
Spot and stalk in the NC mtns will be tough. Since baiting is legal, your best bet is to hug some private land where someone is baiting for deer and bear and hope to catch one moving back and forth from a bait pile. I've spent a lot of time roaming the NC mtns trying to spot and stalk a bear and it's hard. The environment is not conducive to good spot and stalk and glassing. There are a few areas where this can be done, but not many.
Thanks for the help sir,

Lowg08

WKR
Food is king for wnc bears. I will agree with white oak and poke berry but if you can find an Ashe tree with berries it’s going to be money. Also to stack your odds look at sanctuary permits. Mt Mitchell has special draw sanctuary permits and that area is loaded. I do this!

Wellsdw

WKR
Following, I’m about try the same thing this year. Im about an hour and half from pisgah. I’m not really sure what kind of miles dog hunters put down, so getting away from them may be tough. I hear afternoons are better than morning?

Lowg08

WKR
Dog hunters don’t have to go miles now. They have gps on their dogs. I quit before they come out. Seems like cheating to me. We always just stayed up with the dogs or had good enough dogs to stop a race quick( that may get me cursed out). I have done both dogs and still/stand hunting. Killed allot more bears with dogs.

Wellsdw

WKR
I’m gonna try for a sanctuary tag, but they can still run dogs in there correct? I don’t have an issue with using dog hunters, I just choose not too, and if possible would rather steer clear of them. Have a lot of respect for them and their craft.

Lowg08

WKR
I’m gonna try for a sanctuary tag, but they can still run dogs in there correct? I don’t have an issue with using dog hunters, I just choose not too, and if possible would rather steer clear of them. Have a lot of respect for them and their craft.
Have to apply by July one

Lowg08

WKR
You would be correct. I just scanned through. It does allow dog hunters but I know the group that hunts over there. I used to hunt with them. Small group very few dogs and it’s a little to rough for them.

Shupe88

WKR
In early season focus on hickory nuts and a water source. Find the hickory’s and you will find the bears!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR

RWA13

FNG
I live in WNC and have hunted both sanctuaries the past 4-5 years. I would encourage anybody that plans a spot and stalk hunt out here to take a scouting trip before you apply for the hunt to see what you are getting into. Even hunting with dogs in those sanctuaries it isn't common to see bears. I have personally seen more bears in regular ol' Pisgah than in either Mt. Mitchell or Daniel Boone.

The other thing I would suggest is to take a look at the harvest reports from the past couple of years. Sanctuary hunts sound like paradise, but there have been very few bears killed in those sanctuaries compared to other game lands. Combine that with the fact that you only get 3 days to hunt (in Daniel Boone) and the argument could be made that your time would be better spent hunting somewhere that you aren't time restricted.