North Carolina Fall Bear

KHNC

WKR
Going for black bear in western NC next fall. Any pointers for new bear hunter? Been hunting turkeys and whitetail for 20 years in this area....so familiar with area and such...just not bear tactics. Thanks in advance
My buddy outfits bear hunts in Henderson, Buncombe and Polk counties. We have bears all over the place. I killed a P&Y on his place 2 years ago, before he started outfitting. Give him a call at 828 243 0510 (Johnny). Tell him Kenny said to call. Not overly expensive. Stand hunting over bait sites. Some huge bears too.

KHNC

WKR
We have too many damn bears in NC. Need to have more of them killed.

Wellsdw

WKR
I’m gonna try for sure. Planning on hitting pisgah. Going to make some
Scout trips over the next couple months hitting up burn areas from a few year back that I worked

Lowg08

WKR
I went ahead and got my Mt. Mitchell permit. I had drawn it twice when it was a draw and hunted a certain border of it for several years. I know how to get around in there. I also called some of my ol hunting buddies that hunt that and there are plenty of bears in the area.

Rokbar

WKR
Going for black bear in western NC next fall. Any pointers for new bear hunter? Been hunting turkeys and whitetail for 20 years in this area....so familiar with area and such...just not bear tactics. Thanks in advance
If you have trouble getting going shoot me a PM on the area around Henderson or Haywood Counties. If you can get in some new clear cuts and find some poke berry patches first thing in the season. Stick to the main lead ridges with oaks, if they hit. I have several buddies that hunt with dogs. Info from them should be coming out in september. I get out some early season around there. If I see anything promising or you have any ?? just ask. Or you can come watch my millennial neighbor trash cans, as long as you promise to properly pick the trash up.

OP
ChrisCarson
If you have trouble getting going shoot me a PM on the area around Henderson or Haywood Counties. If you can get in some new clear cuts and find some poke berry patches first thing in the season. Stick to the main lead ridges with oaks, if they hit. I have several buddies that hunt with dogs. Info from them should be coming out in september. I get out some early season around there. If I see anything promising or you have any ?? just ask. Or you can come watch my millennial neighbor trash cans, as long as you promise to properly pick the trash up.
Awesome!! Thanks for the response!!

Wellsdw

WKR
I’m headed to waynesville this weekend with the wife, hoping to sneak out for a scouting trip. Looking forward to my 1st year hunting western nc bears.

Lowg08

WKR
I’ll be out and about this weekend. Shoot me a message if you need some direction.

IMHO your odds in killing a bear would be better in the north GA mountains. The terrain in NC is really horrible and it is almost impossible to kill a bear there without the aid of dogs or bait. If you had a dedicated month off work to try and get a bear you might get a bear there but the odds are really stacked against you.

You spend a month in the chatahoochie mtns of N GA and you will have a shot at a bear plus you will likely kill 5 hogs.....

KHNC

WKR
Bait is the way to go for WNC bears. Ive killed one while deer hunting during bear season, but ive rarely seen one without bait here during season. I dont dog hunt and dont have any interest in it .

SaltyBowman

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re going to kill a bear in the mountains without dogs I’d suggest you get permission to a private tract and start dumping some corn and peanuts in late Septembe/October. Get the bears coming then ween the bait back to where only the first 2-3 bears to the pile get any corn. Weening will cause them to daylight earlier and earlier until they hear you rebait and are on the pile in 10 minutes.

Lowg08

WKR
The bear I posted is on a travel corridor public land, near a natural food source. Bait does work, dogs work. Hopefully I can kill one with out either with a bow.

Lowg08

WKR
Public land, no bait. Different spot than the last.

Attachments

• 30AAB050-0690-442A-B2C1-4829964E6B13.jpeg
    30AAB050-0690-442A-B2C1-4829964E6B13.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 12