North Carolina Fall Bear

Lowg08

WKR
The first one is a definite shooter. The second is not. He’s just a baby(150). Ill let him walk unless my son has a chance at him. I have a third bear on a spot I don’t run a camera on yet. Have a stand there. Stinking boo boo got my back rear cushion out of my stand. Chewed it up bad.

Lowg08

WKR
That first one looks like a pretty decent bear.
I have to get a better look at the first bear. I think it’s a sow. If it is I won’t kill her unless she might give me a chance at P&Y. I doubt she will. See my cushion. That stand is also on a travel corridor on the edge of laurels, pine patch and oaks. Three edges. Much like deer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 8

SaltyBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Yea they’re destructive critters. I have one farm where they have chewed hydraulic lines off of tractors and an excavator.

Lowg08

WKR
Yea they’re destructive critters. I have one farm where they have chewed hydraulic lines off of tractors and an excavator.
Yea I found it 30 yards from the stand. I may have to hang a camera on it to see what it is. I do love bears though. Such a cool animal.

Lowg08

WKR
Another non-shooter. Just find some food source and you should be good to go.
Going for black bear in western NC next fall. Any pointers for new bear hunter? Been hunting turkeys and whitetail for 20 years in this area....so familiar with area and such...just not bear tactics. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 676336F0-0FB4-48C3-AE6A-121D2F102D8E.jpeg
    676336F0-0FB4-48C3-AE6A-121D2F102D8E.jpeg
    379 KB · Views: 6

Alarka

FNG
Try to hunt off private land (bait) that borders USFS and has plenty of forest service roads and or trail systems if your not dog hunting. To have your best chance hunt the White oaks and berry patches along clear cuts where yon can see a long way. Definitely have a good GPS & app that shows private land lines and access points for retrieval and entry points from highways and roads. The Appalachian/Bartram trail system have a lot of access to different highway crossings and pack light and smart as you’ll be doing some walking and camping in the woods. Early October when the bears are hitting the White Oaks/Hickory/Poke berries and fall apples is the best time.

Wellsdw

WKR
Well do to mandatory OT, and some poor planning on my part, my fall bear hunt slipped by. Anybody who hunt western nc have luck still hunting in the late season (2nd season) on public land? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Lowg08

WKR
Well do to mandatory OT, and some poor planning on my part, my fall bear hunt slipped by. Anybody who hunt western nc have luck still hunting in the late season (2nd season) on public land? Any insight is greatly appreciated.
No luck so far. We will see how it goes this weekend. Lol. It’s tough no matter especially after they have been dogged for a bit. It can still be done though.

jpkoepse

FNG
I'm assuming anyone who was successful last year would have mentioned that... So those who got out there and still hunted... Any suggestions/lessons learned? Are you just trying to cover as much ground as possible while reading sign and looking for food?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
I'm assuming anyone who was successful last year would have mentioned that... So those who got out there and still hunted... Any suggestions/lessons learned? Are you just trying to cover as much ground as possible while reading sign and looking for food?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I had several I thought I might of had a chance at but it never came to fruition. I’ve got plans. For a weekend bow hunt if I can draw a permit.

jpkoepse

FNG
I had several I thought I might of had a chance at but it never came to fruition. I’ve got plans. For a weekend bow hunt if I can draw a permit.
Well that's awesome. I'm assuming you just couldn't get a shot off?

Care to share some strategy? Was thinking around the Appalachian trail area. Obviously it's all about food right? Are you just covering tons of ground? Are you on ridge tops or you looking for transition zones? Water? If you see sign, do you just setup and wait or you follow it and hope to bump a bear? Any predator calling?

Sorry for all the questions ha been going to Idaho for bear hunts but figured I should give my home state a try!

Lowg08

WKR
Well that's awesome. I'm assuming you just couldn't get a shot off?

Care to share some strategy? Was thinking around the Appalachian trail area. Obviously it's all about food right? Are you just covering tons of ground? Are you on ridge tops or you looking for transition zones? Water? If you see sign, do you just setup and wait or you follow it and hope to bump a bear? Any predator calling?

Sorry for all the questions ha been going to Idaho for bear hunts but figured I should give my home state a try!
The best chance I had was I was 100 yards from probably 95lber lol. It was in a rock cliff and I laughably had called my wife because I had been trying to put the moves on this big deer I’d been after. I had gotten 50yards from him in my sock feet. I said hey I got to go. I’m going to kill this bear. Then she began to lecture me on its a baby and on and on lol. So I did watch it for a bit and it Was very small. So I just slipped on out.

Well I’ll be honest. I’ve found over the years a steady food source or the most reliable is what I look for when targeting bears. Plus I cover a ton of ground. I also not where I cross bear sign deer scouting and if it seems to start coming together i try to put a pattern together.

jpkoepse

FNG
The best chance I had was I was 100 yards from probably 95lber lol. It was in a rock cliff and I laughably had called my wife because I had been trying to put the moves on this big deer I’d been after. I had gotten 50yards from him in my sock feet. I said hey I got to go. I’m going to kill this bear. Then she began to lecture me on its a baby and on and on lol. So I did watch it for a bit and it Was very small. So I just slipped on out.

Well I’ll be honest. I’ve found over the years a steady food source or the most reliable is what I look for when targeting bears. Plus I cover a ton of ground. I also not where I cross bear sign deer scouting and if it seems to start coming together i try to put a pattern together.
Are you running ridge tops during NC first season? Or not necessarily?

Lowg08

WKR
Are you running ridge tops during NC first season? Or not necessarily?
Not really. I usually find a heavily used deer trail in the spring and just follow it til it either turns to nothing or goes to bed. Usually through cliffs and laurel thickets. Just looking for the things that keep them alive. Food water bed and a place to hide.