North/central Montana hunt

WCB

WKR
Thinking of staying in Havre and drive up to an hour or two. Might stay in my pickup a couple nights also. Not 100% sure
With the block management thing and if you basically draw a 90 mile circle (about 1.5hrs drive) you will find more ground than you will know what to do with. Also, as others have said the density of deer in general in MT is stupid. You will see A LOT of deer...now finding a buck you like is always a process.

not sure if your part of WA has the really wide bucks but just and FYI a 25-26" mule deer in MT is wide. not that they don't get bigger but don't expect real wide racks in general.

OP
Trev93

Trev93

FNG
Goo to hear that! The buck I shot last year here was 22” wide. Really the only reason I’m coming to hunt MT is my wife is due with our baby on October 12th so no deer hunting here for me. I was able to apply for MT and fortunately get a tag and get a deer hunt in this year. Cannot wait!

How did this area and hunt do for you? Going to North/Central Montana in November and would like to hear how you did.

OP
Trev93

Trev93

FNG
Not as good as I had hoped. Seen A LOT of deer but nothing big. Ended up taking a 3 point on the last day I was out there.

Not as good as I had hoped. Seen A LOT of deer but nothing big. Ended up taking a 3 point on the last day I was out there.
Hopefully going for Mule Deer in North Central Montana next year. Can I make do with 10x42 bunks for glassing or should I look at getting a spotting scope?

OP
Trev93

Trev93

FNG
Hopefully going for Mule Deer in North Central Montana next year. Can I make do with 10x42 bunks for glassing or should I look at getting a spotting scope?
Spotter would be nice. I was there in November again and spotted a 4 point at 2 miles. Was a shooter, so I went and shot it.

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
Did you know some 3 points will never grow into a 4 point? 😱😱😱
That is a false statement that has been debunked time and again. Did you know a 5 1/2 year old 5 point 180” was once a 2 1/2 year old 3 point. But hey, you got some expensive meat in the freezer right. I mean a guy has to feed his family!!!!

Last edited:
OP
Trev93

Trev93

FNG
That is a false statement that has been debunked time and again. Did you know a 5 1/2 year old 5 point 180” was once a 2 1/2 year old 3 point. But hey, you got some expensive meat in the freezer right. I mean a guy has to feed his family!!!!
Nothing but good times out in MT. I’ll be there every other year! 😏

OP
Trev93

Trev93

FNG
Sounds like you are a heck of hunter. With your low standards and fat pocket book, you will be well pleased for years to come🤡.
Low standards? It was a helluva 3 point buck. MT boy just bugged at your states system. Go be a grump to them if out of staters really piss you off. Another hunter trying to feel good by putting another down. Ain’t putting me down bud. Go and be insecure elsewhere.

Low standards? It was a helluva 3 point buck. MT boy just bugged at your states system. Go be a grump to them if out of staters really piss you off. Another hunter trying to feel good by putting another down. Ain’t putting me down bud. Go and be insecure elsewhere.
Your tag, fill it however you like!

You are going to be highly disappointed! You will see more people then deer…

You are going to be highly disappointed! You will see more people then deer…
Unfortunately, this is my first western trip and this is where the guys I’m going with have experience for Muleys. They are still confident on having a successful trip, as they did this past year.