North/central Montana hunt

Trev93

FNG
Hey all,
I drew the non resident deer tag in Montana and I was thinking about going northernish/central for rifle. Thinking I will be going there around November 11th and I will be there for a week or so.

I have hunted mule deer in north east Washington up in the Okanogan National forests or the last couple years and have had pretty good success but this year wife is due with our baby on opening day for there…. So I applied for MT.

Scouting was not an option unfortunately for me and e scouting is so much different then up in the mountains in WA. There is not much BLM or state/gov land in the area I’m thinking about going and the Missouri breaks are like 1.5 hours away which isn’t a bad drive really.

I just want to pop on here and to see if any of you guys have anything you would like to tell me.

feel free to dm me if you don’t want to spill the good stuff to everyone. Hope you all have a successful year hunting.

Thank you

bsnedeker

WKR
The general deer tag in MT is one of the easiest tags to fill. There are literally deer everywhere. Be aware north central MT is a CWD area....I wouldn't let that stop me but just be aware.

Mark some public land on your maps, get out there in November and kill a deer. You will not have a problem unless you are looking for some kind of monster buck. 3 points and small 4 pointers abound and if you get towards the end of the week and haven't found something you like you can put your tag on whitetail doe any time you want.

OP
Trev93

Trev93

FNG
The general deer tag in MT is one of the easiest tags to fill. There are literally deer everywhere. Be aware north central MT is a CWD area....I wouldn't let that stop me but just be aware.

Mark some public land on your maps, get out there in November and kill a deer. You will not have a problem unless you are looking for some kind of monster buck. 3 points and small 4 pointers abound and if you get towards the end of the week and haven't found something you like you can put your tag on whitetail doe any time you want.
There is not a whole lot of public land it’s basically a checkerboard. Have you hunted the north side of the breaks?

WCB

WKR
There is not a whole lot of public land it’s basically a checkerboard. Have you hunted the north side of the breaks?
Where exactly are you thinking of going, maybe not exactly but give a better idea as generally speaking there is more public land than a guy could ever hunt north of a lot of the breaks to the Canada border with a ton of Block Management.

From what you described I would drive a bit more and get into more public land before I dealt with minimal public. Now if you had hunted through that area before or scouted that is different but I think you would have better experience headed to more public land. There are a ton of deer in those areas but that time of year there will be a ton of guys also.

OP
Trev93

Trev93

FNG
Where exactly are you thinking of going, maybe not exactly but give a better idea as generally speaking there is more public land than a guy could ever hunt north of a lot of the breaks to the Canada border with a ton of Block Management.

From what you described I would drive a bit more and get into more public land before I dealt with minimal public. Now if you had hunted through that area before or scouted that is different but I think you would have better experience headed to more public land. There are a ton of deer in those areas but that time of year there will be a ton of guys also.
Thinking of staying in Havre and drive up to an hour or two. Might stay in my pickup a couple nights also. Not 100% sure

hobbes

WKR
Look to see how much land is Block Management. You can hunt it same as public but may need to sign in daily or even get permission from landowner (type 2). Type 2 are s simple matter of making a phone call or catching a rancher at home.

Where are you coming from?

OP
Trev93

Trev93

FNG
Look to see how much land is Block Management. You can hunt it same as public but may need to sign in daily or even get permission from landowner (type 2). Type 2 are s simple matter of making a phone call or catching a rancher at home.

Where are you coming from?
I am coming from the SW Washington area! Is there a ton of information about block management on Montana fish and wildlife website?

OP
Trev93

Trev93

FNG
Yes. Also, OnX or the like will have a layer that shows it.
Does this mean anyone can hunt this as long as they sign in before entering?

Attachments

• E2A1978E-4903-41CE-B431-3DA3B1234AD1.jpeg
    E2A1978E-4903-41CE-B431-3DA3B1234AD1.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 80

hobbes

WKR
Does this mean anyone can hunt this as long as they sign in before entering?
Yes. That's a type 1. A type 2 may have limits on the number of people, controlled by landowner or fwp, or require a yearly permission slip from one or the other. It just takes a little more work to hunt type 2 but just as accessible. Some BMs had fire restrictions this year but those will likely be gone by then.

OP
Trev93

Trev93

FNG
Yes. That's a type 1. A type 2 may have limits on the number of people, controlled by landowner or fwp, or require a yearly permission slip from one or the other. It just takes a little more work to hunt type 2 but just as accessible. Some BMs had fire restrictions this year but those will likely be gone by then.
Thanks a bunch man! If you think of anything else for some tips feel free and let me know. I have Montana on onX but didn’t quite know what the block management was but I have heard it before on podcasts but at that time I wasn’t really thinking about hunting MT. Knowing about the block management is huge. Thanks again.

If you're used to WA deer hunting, you'll have no problems in MT. Just to reiterate, Type 1 Block management is a sign in and you can pretty much show up, sign in and hunt, Type 2 you actually have to get in contact with the rancher and get permission, which can throw a wrench into things if you don't get it done ahead of time. I don't know anything about that particular area, but the densities are probably going to be so much higher than your used to that its going to be laughable when you actually get out there. If you're not finding deer, find some different terrain/keep moving. Bring a shotgun.

OP
Trev93

Trev93

FNG
Good jnfo
If you're used to WA deer hunting, you'll have no problems in MT. Just to reiterate, Type 1 Block management is a sign in and you can pretty much show up, sign in and hunt, Type 2 you actually have to get in contact with the rancher and get permission, which can throw a wrench into things if you don't get it done ahead of time. I don't know anything about that particular area, but the densities are probably going to be so much higher than your used to that its going to be laughable when you actually get out there. If you're not finding deer, find some different terrain/keep moving. Bring a shotgun.
good info! Thank you

I haven't be in that area, but we ran into upland birds all over in the areas we covered. Well worth bringing a shotgun if a person is so inclined.

kloppy

FNG
I haven't be in that area, but we ran into upland birds all over in the areas we covered. Well worth bringing a shotgun if a person is so inclined.
I would second this. I do not live in Montana but I have ran into birds almost everywhere I've hunted in Montana.

hobbes

WKR
Bird numbers are likely down this year due to drought. In most of the mule deer country you'll see some sharpies and huns. Sage grouse season ends Sept 30, so you cannot shoot sage grouse. Pheasants, the few that'll be around this year, will be in the thicker cover in most cases. Roosters only!! Read the regs on transporting upland and possession limits. One wing naturally attached to grouse, one leg naturally attached to roosters.

If you were hunting mountains, you'd see mountain grouse; blues, spruce, ruffed.