NORTH CHEROKEE WILDLIFE MGMT AREA Buck, Boars, and Bears...

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a West Tennessee resident and have so far only made it to east TN once for a hunting trip. Curious if any of you guys would be interested in planning a 3-5 day hunt/meetup this fall? I was thinking the first four days of deer rifle season since it would be open season on deer, bear, and boar at that time of year. I know success rates are super low in the mountains but I figured it would be fun to have a few guys in base camp together even if we hunted separately during the day.

Hey Nate, I'm also in west TN, and I've been looking at the same sort of hunt. I'd like to discuss this a little more. I just joined this forum today, so it won't let me send a PM for a week I think. I might be able to reply if you send one. If not, my email address is [email protected].

Just curious if you guys ever did this hunt? I went to south Cherokee this year and killed a decent boar. It was my third year hunting the area. It’s a hard hunt. 4BB2B6FF-D79F-4BA0-B10B-7C9F4197672B.jpeg

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
Me and another buddy hunted south cherokee twice this season I saw a couple small bear but didn't take one pig sign everywhere but never saw one in the flesh.

Me and another buddy hunted south cherokee twice this season I saw a couple small bear but didn't take one pig sign everywhere but never saw one in the flesh.
What dates? I did the December 31 - January 3. Wish I could have seen a bear. I saw a little bear sign. I’m thinking about going earlier next year. I think there is an early gun season with no dogs.

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
I did the first three day rifle season in October 3rd through the 4th and the second rifle season the 10th through the 16th in October dogs are used in all of those, there's no dogs during archery in September for two weeks but I couldn't get off work. I'm considering a couple of hounds if I can work in getting up during the training seasons.

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely worth the trip I think I stayed for 11 days just because, plenty of places to try for fish.

Definitely worth the trip I think I stayed for 11 days just because, plenty of places to try for fish.
I did the first three day rifle season in October 3rd through the 4th and the second rifle season the 10th through the 16th in October dogs are used in all of those, there's no dogs during archery in September for two weeks but I couldn't get off work. I'm considering a couple of hounds if I can work in getting up during the training seasons.
I hunt in BHZ3. This 2020 season nov 21-24 was gun with no dogs. I think that’s the best opportunity for still hunting. I’ve hunted with my friends dogs in BHZ3 the last three years (segment 4 timeframe) and it’s tough. I’ve seen the most success still hunting early morning and late at night.

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt in BHZ3. This 2020 season nov 21-24 was gun with no dogs. I think that’s the best opportunity for still hunting. I’ve hunted with my friends dogs in BHZ3 the last three years (segment 4 timeframe) and it’s tough. I’ve seen the most success still hunting early morning and late at night.
Are you targeting pigs specifically?

Are you targeting pigs specifically?
The guys I run with target pigs and bears with dogs. Usually run the rail road tracks along the hiwassee River bluffs. Pigs all in that area. Bears typically stay very close to the bear reserve near hwy 64 and the ocoee River. I killed that boar near madden branch close to hwy 64.

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
The guys I run with target pigs and bears with dogs. Usually run the rail road tracks along the hiwassee River bluffs. Pigs all in that area. Bears typically stay very close to the bear reserve near hwy 64 and the ocoee River. I killed that boar near madden branch close to hwy 64.
I looked really hard at that area doing my armchair scouting for last year ended up out towards the tellico instead I'm going to have to wet some line in the ocoee though that's a pretty river.

FLAK

WKR
Is the entire Cherokee NF regulated by different State Mgt. areas (N&S Cherokee) or are there some areas that are just NF?

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
Wildlife management and regulations is set by twra, enforcement is all by usda fs rangers. It's broken up into a couple different management districts but it's pretty much the same only the season dates can vary if you get in our big game guide You can look up the wma specifically what the dates are for what you want to do and when. For instance there's no fall turkey season where I was at and I think no spring squirrel

Last edited:

FLAK

WKR
Looks like (I may be wrong) that I cannot gun hunt Bear and Deer at the same time on South Cherokee?

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I just checked it the dates don't overlap during rifle season probably don't want deer hunter/houndsmen conflict. You can shoot pigs though. The deer/ bear archery season aligns though.