North Dakota - Badlands

I'm new to this to Rokslide, I have noticed throughout searching many online forums there is very few who talk much about the hunting in the North Dakota Badlands. I'm guessing that's because there isn't as much opportunity for out of state residents to hunt there. That's not to say there isn't opportunity to hunt, non-residents can get archery licenses and have the slim chances of drawing a mule deer rifle tag. I haven't hunted out of state yet but with more and more I read about successful hunters in the more popular western hunting states like say Robby Denning, Remi Warren and other western big game hunters my desire to go further west grows greater. But with wanting to get more input from guys who have hunted the Badlands in ND I wanted to reach out to see if there was any hunters on this site who have done much hunting in ND. I grew up spending the past 15 years hunting in western ND mostly going after mule deer sometimes whitetail. I have had hunting partners who were lucky to draw the once-in-a-lifetime elk tag and also been part of those hunts. Looking forward to hopefully drawing my first antelope tag in ND this year (fingers crossed).

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Where do you live? I'm in Dickinson and hunt whatever I can draw. Last year had a MD buck tag, MD doe the year before, WT does the years prior and again this year. I'll be after a WT doe with my youngest kid during youth season, and my oldest drew the either sex/either species youth tag so we'll be after a MD buck. I grew up hunting MT, and we drew some MD doe tags there this year, but I've found the Badlands suit me just fine. Sure would like the elk tag so I can use my Winchester 1985 in TR's former hunting ground.

Fatcamp

WKR
Well, in the unit 4 summary it doesn't even show a single archery mule deer being issued to a nonresident without a pile of points. That would explain it to me.

Looked into it years ago and it just seemed like a hassle. Cool area for sure.

Well, in the unit 4 summary it doesn't even show a single archery mule deer being issued to a nonresident without a pile of points. That would explain it to me.

Looked into it years ago and it just seemed like a hassle. Cool area for sure.
I drew the tag last year my first time applying. It's state wide so that might be why it didn't show under that unit. Only rifle tags are unit specific.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
I drew the tag last year my first time applying. It's state wide so that might be why it didn't show under that unit. Only rifle tags are unit specific.

Very nice! Now that I think about it I looked into it before I picked up a bow.

Fatcamp

WKR
Keep in mind it's not a slam dunk. By my best estimate I had only 20-30% chance to draw.

Well, seeing as I drew no rifle tags in SD this year a 20-30% ND draw sounds pretty good. :)

OP
ndbadlandshunting
Where do you live? I'm in Dickinson and hunt whatever I can draw. Last year had a MD buck tag, MD doe the year before, WT does the years prior and again this year. I'll be after a WT doe with my youngest kid during youth season, and my oldest drew the either sex/either species youth tag so we'll be after a MD buck. I grew up hunting MT, and we drew some MD doe tags there this year, but I've found the Badlands suit me just fine. Sure would like the elk tag so I can use my Winchester 1985 in TR's former hunting ground.
I live on the eastern part of the state so I have a bit of a drive when I want to make a hunting trip. Did you have a good luck filling your MD buck tag? I drew out there last year as well but it took 5 pts. Ended up getting a pretty nice buck. Saw quite a few deer last year but looks like with what we were seeing last year and the good moisture we had this summer the bucks should be looking good. Was fortunate to have my Dad draw his Elk tag last year so we were able to fill that tag in late Sept. which was a great hunt.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I passed on a good one opening Saturday because I had the whole week off, thought I could do better, and didn’t want to go back to work. Saw tons of forkies and a couple other decent bucks but couldn’t lose the gap. Should have hunted second week because the rut wasn’t hot first week. Ended up with an ok buck, a coyote, a lot of fun hiking in some of the coolest country, and an opportunity to get my kids to help pack meat.

F3043741-5FE3-4B50-88D0-6BD6B74C7503.jpeg
12E4D3B5-3E33-4295-91E7-F1E8E890EB03.jpeg

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
Any deer archery tags are a draw and apps are due in the winter. Odds of drawing vary every year. Some times there are left overs some times it's hard to draw. Archery whitetail tags are otc.

Scoot

WKR
Archery any deer hasn't had leftovers for the better part of a decade. Odds for a NR to draw do vary, but are 20-30% typically.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
Archery any deer hasn't had leftovers for the better part of a decade. Odds for a NR to draw do vary, but are 20-30% typically.

4-5 years ago there were left over archery draw tags. I almost picked one up.

Scoot

WKR
Slick-- yup!

Blackcat- you sure on your time estimate? I've lived in MN for 7 years (sadly) and I swear there haven't been leftovers during any of that time frame. I definitely could be wrong, but I think that's right.

Slick-- yup!

Blackcat- you sure on your time estimate? I've lived in MN for 7 years (sadly) and I swear there haven't been leftovers during any of that time frame. I definitely could be wrong, but I think that's right.
I've looked at historical draw data, you're right. I live in MN too but I'm not going to complain about a 5 deer bag limit or OTC rifle tags, even if I do wish I could hit badlands muleys OTC.

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
Also a nodak native on the East part. Looking to bow hunt some this year out there And I just picked up a doe tag out there. Nonresident rifle takes give or take 10 pts to draw and they give out 2-3 tags a unit. I looked into it for my cousin a little bit. Not saying I’m an expert on it. Any deer tag for nonresident Bow is a draw and you have to apply back early in the year and from my understanding it’s hard to get but never looked into it much. I think they give out 750ish tags. Don’t quote me on this. But opportunities are lower then Montana who gives out a pile of tags and what’s another 2 hours of driving for most. It’s getting more popular cuz it’s closer then most of the other western states and YouTube is making it bigger also. Otherwise if you buy a bow tag now it’s whitetail only.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bonus for 2020: I finally drew an antelope tag so will head out this weekend to start shopping for a decent one. Haven’t hunted antelope since I left MT.

OP
ndbadlandshunting
Bonus for 2020: I finally drew an antelope tag so will head out this weekend to start shopping for a decent one. Haven’t hunted antelope since I left MT.
Congrats on drawing. Are you going to try to get it with a bow over labor day weekend? Which unit did you draw in?