North Dakota - Badlands

Wapiti23

FNG
Thank you. It was a cool 27 degree November day with a few little snow flurries. Hunted for 8 days and this was on the last. Wasn’t one of the big deer I had seen in August while scouting but was very pleased with him.

slick

WKR
Call me sour, but this is only going to make drawing those tags harder. Blah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent a couple years trapping/collaring lions out there. There are some amazing mulies out there; especially if ya get a handful of miles off the road. Outstanding country and perfect for calling in lions! I’m sitting on a pile of points and will be able to draw any rifle tag I want if I ever decide to move back. Probably have more than a decade to wait if I remain a non-resident. I had prime land to hunt in 3C so I could never make the jump to the bandlands. Someday. Good luck everyone headed that way this year and post up some pics!

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
The scheelsoutdoors Instagram account has a story right now with a buck that looks a lot like this one. Might just be similar though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Well, he didn't seem all that bright.... he stood beside my pickup feeding, and I had to yell at him at the top of my lungs to get him to lift his head for pics.... after a couple of minutes of that, he wandered on top of the ridge where I got pics of him sky lined. So, I would imagine someone else could have taken pics of him as well.....

Bdjones

Lil-Rokslider
I spent a couple years trapping/collaring lions out there. There are some amazing mulies out there; especially if ya get a handful of miles off the road. Outstanding country and perfect for calling in lions! I’m sitting on a pile of points and will be able to draw any rifle tag I want if I ever decide to move back. Probably have more than a decade to wait if I remain a non-resident. I had prime land to hunt in 3C so I could never make the jump to the bandlands. Someday. Good luck everyone headed that way this year and post up some pics!
Ive been living and calling in the badlands for 2 years now. I've researched a bunch of the kill ratios and locations of the lions. Do you have any knowledge of grassy Butte having a pretty good density?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
Work just took me back up here for the winter so I am looking to pick up a whitetail otc archery tag to fill some time. Do the badlands hold any real numbers of whitetail that you all know of? I’ve seen a few along the highways but don’t really know if it’s worth it for a couple days of spot and stalk. I know this is the muley forum but i literally can’t find anything on the nd hunting. I have seen some nice muleys on the drive through the breaks as well... wish I would’ve started collecting points awhile ago

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Plenty of WT around. They tend to bed in the brushy coulees near ag land and head to the fields near dark. They’ll sometimes travel a couple miles each way and be back in the coulees pretty early.

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
Ive been living and calling in the badlands for 2 years now. I've researched a bunch of the kill ratios and locations of the lions. Do you have any knowledge of grassy Butte having a pretty good density?

I know the Grassy Butte area used to be the lion capital of ND....lots of cats came from around there. I haven't heard much about lion kills for awhile now.... maybe it's just not publicized like it used to be. Now the only lion stories you hear are when one turns up in Bismarck or some other half way unusual place.

Bdjones

Lil-Rokslider
I know the Grassy Butte area used to be the lion capital of ND....lots of cats came from around there. I haven't heard much about lion kills for awhile now.... maybe it's just not publicized like it used to be. Now the only lion stories you hear are when one turns up in Bismarck or some other half way unusual place.
I ordered lion vocals for my ecaller from a week known source and starting learning about calling lions and last winter I finally scored a cat vocalizing with be right at dark. Of course I was just North of grassy Butte. And it sure made me Goosy having to down the butte to retrieve the call lol.

Bdjones

Lil-Rokslider
Work just took me back up here for the winter so I am looking to pick up a whitetail otc archery tag to fill some time. Do the badlands hold any real numbers of whitetail that you all know of? I’ve seen a few along the highways but don’t really know if it’s worth it for a couple days of spot and stalk. I know this is the muley forum but i literally can’t find anything on the nd hunting. I have seen some nice muleys on the drive through the breaks as well... wish I would’ve started collecting points awhile ago
Quite a few near garrison damn south of Sather. I know they live the river bottoms here in this country.

slick

WKR
Quite a few near garrison damn south of Sather. I know they live the river bottoms here in this country.

Had seen a lion just south of Sather many moons ago.

Hunted all of that country growing up. Miss it.

ChasenH1-8s

Lil-Rokslider
Watch an ~8pt tag turn into a 17.

Wow. What an awesome buck. I’m so thankful for these online forums. I think I’m going to start putting in for North Dakota now!!!

count me in....

slick

WKR
Better get your uncle brother son and grandma in with you too

WCB

WKR
Better get your uncle brother son and grandma in with you too

No doubt...it is currently 10+ years for a non resident to draw a mule deer tag that just went to 15-20...that is if any actually make it to the general draw anyways.