North Dakota help

Ten Bears

WKR
Planning on heading into ND next month for a bird bonanza... This will be my older GSP's last big trip and will be the completion of all 50 states for myself. Want to shoot some Sharps and Pheasants (possibly Huns) and looking for a good central location to base out of and any other pointers one might have ?
Driving from Michigan and cutting through Minnesota. Would like to stay as east as possible to keep the drive shorter, just got home from a 25 hour drive (New Mexico) and I am wiped.

Thanks-
John

IMG_1772.jpg

Last edited:

Rbrok

FNG
A lot of farm land east of the Missouri river. I've not hunted N.D. but have worked there off and on. From friends that live in Beulah...sharpies are there along with pheasant. Look at a N.D. Game and Fish website for their range to put yourself in a better position to decide on a place to stage from.
If I were going, I would look at Bismark and south. They have a good walk in landowner program that allows public on private land.

Oregon

WKR
That’s what I have been finding. Looking at a small town near by.

Is obtaining permission to hunt difficult around there ?

Two things to keep in mind. If you require lodging, it may be difficult to find a place that isn’t booked due to duck hunters. My guess is ND will be extremely busy in Oct due to COVID keeping people out of Canada.
Permission easy. Even easier if land isn’t posted. If private land isn’t posted no permission required.

KurtR

WKR
That’s what I have been finding. Looking at a small town near by.

Is obtaining permission to hunt difficult around there ?

there will be a lot of duck hunters but less as you go west. Like beulah would put in you in prime sharpie ground with pheasants and guns mixed in. Lots of posted land there but worst any one can do is say no. Justbe polite and bs a little even if they say no. Everyone knows everything aroundour little towns so word will spread if you are nice or not. If you can set up closer to Sd I could give you some areas to check. Pm me if that is an option

NDGuy

WKR
I'd echo what others have said. Stay away from the eastern side of the state, few and far between public land and lots of landowners hunt birds or save it for family.

h8brick

FNG
I just got back from nw ND man oh man were there lots of birds, tons of phez but obviously wasnt season good luck

Are you familiar with their PLOTS program and maps? Surprised no one has mentioned it. That would be my first step if I didn’t have private land to hunt. Look at the map and cross reference spots on google earth for habitat (recently it seems common there may be a PLOTS section that’s only wheat stubble). There are plenty of places to hunt 1.5 hours around Bismarck - especially mid week.

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
very familiar. The reason I ask about private is as a non resident the season doesn’t open until the 17th for plots and public lands. However you can hunt private starting on the 10th.

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
Just wanted to say thanks to those that chimed in. Booked my trip for Oct 16/19. Staying in Bismarck, even the wife is flying out to see the subpar dogwork. I’ll post some pics if I can find some birds!

Thanks.
John