North dakota mule deer and elk

Roskilde gang, anyone archery hunt mule deer near teddy roosevelt park or rifle elk. My son got drawn and will give it a go. Thanks ahead of time

WCB

WKR
I have hunted deer around the parks...What park unit North or South. Also, I'm guessing you are a resident of ND?

NDGuy

WKR
Roskilde gang, anyone archery hunt mule deer near teddy roosevelt park or rifle elk. My son got drawn and will give it a go. Thanks ahead of time
He drew an elk tag? Or what are you asking?

OP
G
He is a resident. I live in minnesota.I will probably not hunt ,but help . Depending what we see may pick up non resident whitetail archery tag for myself.He was drawn for cow /calf tag (rifle)in E3. He was gonna also pick up a resident "any deer (whitetail/ mule deer) archery tag. Probably spend more time around north part of park. Late summer drive over to pre scout to get lay of the land. What is it like opener ? Some overlap of elk and deer season. Will try multiple long weekend hunts as season/ rut progresses vs full week. Might be a little schizophrenic trying to both ,but wanna be prepared for either. We adapt. You know how it goes. Show up to hunt elk and see tons of mule deer or visa versa thanks

Scoot

WKR
Talk to past tag owners. Talk to ranchers who own land. Go to the bar and make small talk in the evening- see who can help with Intel and connections. Don't drive your vehicle (with NR plates). Don't tell anyone you're from MN and if you're son lives in Bismarck or East tell people he's from somewhere west of Bismarck. I'm serious about all of those and they will most likely help you considerably.

Good luck!

WCB

WKR
Talk to past tag owners. Talk to ranchers who own land. Go to the bar and make small talk in the evening- see who can help with Intel and connections. Don't drive your vehicle (with NR plates). Don't tell anyone you're from MN and if you're son lives in Bismarck or East tell people he's from somewhere west of Bismarck. I'm serious about all of those and they will most likely help you considerably.

Good luck!
I have no issues and I am from MN...Western side of the state is not like the Devils lake or Jamestown area for Pheasants and Waterfowl. I got a bunch of tips from Residents when I had a rifle tag along the river and the checked out to be good info.

I spend multiple weeks in ND through out the year as we have a house there and that "Blue Plater" sentiment seems to be more so held by the younger crowd that have no idea why it started or what the hell they are even talking about. Be respectful, have a conversation, scout and ask before season and buy a beer or two at the bar...doesn't matter what plates.

But yes in general it would make sense to drive a ND vehicle.

Scoot

WKR
I have no issues and I am from MN...Western side of the state is not like the Devils lake or Jamestown area for Pheasants and Waterfowl. I got a bunch of tips from Residents when I had a rifle tag along the river and the checked out to be good info.

I spend multiple weeks in ND through out the year as we have a house there and that "Blue Plater" sentiment seems to be more so held by the younger crowd that have no idea why it started or what the hell they are even talking about. Be respectful, have a conversation, scout and ask before season and buy a beer or two at the bar...doesn't matter what plates.

But yes in general it would make sense to drive a ND vehicle.
I'm born and raised as MN resident, lived in ND for a long time, and live in MN again now. I MUCH prefer ND over MN, but I live in MN again (but I do like MN in many ways too). I very much agree with the sentiment of your reply. However, if you don't think plenty of folks discriminate against people who are from Fargo, or more generally the eastern side of the state, then you are simply incorrect. Bias against those who are from MN is even more common. Are there plenty of great people in western ND who will treat you like you deserve, no matter where you're from? Heck ya! But don't delude yourself into think you're always going to be treated the same regardless of the plates on your vehicle.

ND is a wonderful state filled with great places and awesome people. Just like everywhere, there are some who are exceptions to that. The anti-eastern side of the state sentiment is as real in ND as the anti-metro area sentiment in rural MN. Both are undeniably real! You must believe that at some level or you wouldn't have agreed that they should take the vehicle with ND plates.

All that being said, I totally agree with your suggestion, WCB-- be a decent person, make small talk, be respectful and polite... people will figure out you're a decent person and you'll be treated accordingly. Good luck!

WCB

WKR
I'm born and raised as MN resident, lived in ND for a long time, and live in MN again now. I MUCH prefer ND over MN, but I live in MN again (but I do like MN in many ways too). I very much agree with the sentiment of your reply. However, if you don't think plenty of folks discriminate against people who are from Fargo, or more generally the eastern side of the state, then you are simply incorrect. Bias against those who are from MN is even more common. Are there plenty of great people in western ND who will treat you like you deserve, no matter where you're from? Heck ya! But don't delude yourself into think you're always going to be treated the same regardless of the plates on your vehicle.

ND is a wonderful state filled with great places and awesome people. Just like everywhere, there are some who are exceptions to that. The anti-eastern side of the state sentiment is as real in ND as the anti-metro area sentiment in rural MN. Both are undeniably real! You must believe that at some level or you wouldn't have agreed that they should take the vehicle with ND plates.

All that being said, I totally agree with your suggestion, WCB-- be a decent person, make small talk, be respectful and polite... people will figure out you're a decent person and you'll be treated accordingly. Good luck!
to say there isn't some of that would be a lie but to tell him to not even think about driving a vehicle with a MN plate on it or mention he is from MN is going way way beyond reality on the ground. I have personally been hunting ND for 23 years and been going with my dad and his friends since I was 4 so about 31 years. I probably spend close to 30 days a year in ND in various parts bowhunting, duck, upland, and fishing. We have a place out there and have since 2000 and before that stayed with a farmer. Besides the normal a$$Hole landowner that even the locals don't like we have had zero issues with being out of state (this is east side). We also used to and do still on and off hunt the west side (mostly deer) since 2000. Again zero issues. I had an NR whitetail rifle tag and had multiple residents hunters and local landowners stop and talk to me on the road and swap info....even had a couple local landowners give me permission without me even asking.

Are there those people yes....but if you go about it the right way and don't look like a complete idiot driving around and use common sense, I think it is out of the ordinary for anyone to have a negative interaction with you because of your license plate. Again from my interactions and experience the vast majority of the "blue plater" mentality are ignorant young kids that have no idea how it all started. I personally know a few that I went to college with that grew out of it and couldn't care any less about it.

Scoot

WKR
to say there isn't some of that would be a lie but to tell him to not even think about driving a vehicle with a MN plate on it or mention he is from MN is going way way beyond reality on the ground.

Are there those people yes....but if you go about it the right way and don't look like a complete idiot driving around and use common sense...
I agree my post may have overstated it a bit. It definitely does exist though and without a doubt there are people who won't even consider letting NRs hunt, simply because they are NRs. I have been turned away from landowners and they have let me know they don't let NRs hunt their land. When I lived in Fargo I was also told by two landowners that they don't let people from Fargo hunt. One gentleman told me "Sorry, but too many slobs from there have ruined it for you." My buddy's uncle, who is a life-long Watford City area resident, has spoken ad nauseum to us about how much anti-eastern part of the state sentiment there is out there.

I didn't tell him to "not even think about driving a vehicle with a MN plate". Sounds like they likely could take his vehicle or his son's out there, so I suggested the resident plates.

Your suggestion to be a decent dude, use common sense, and to be polite is undoubtedly spot on. It applies to this situation and about 99% of situations in life! I always try to behave in a manner consistent with that and R or NR will do best with that approach. No doubt we totally agree about that!

wrkn2hunt

FNG
I hunt out there quite a bit chasing mule deer with bow and whenever I get drawn for rifle. I also drew an E3 elk tag but for a bull. I plan to make a few trips out there scouting this summer. We have helped others in the past and have a decent grasp on where they hang out but that can change daily. I have an uncle that lives in Medora and knows alot of the ranchers so that may help but not a necessity to fill the tag. Best advise in scout, cover a lot of ground gassing but don't blow em out if they are on public. I plan to be out for opener then have to go home for 2 weeks to work a farm show but then will be back the 17th of September for 12 days. PM me if you wanna swap some info.