North Dakota Mule Deer NR

Mike8989

FNG
Looking to start building points in North Dakota for mule deer can anyone explain how there preference point system works? I am a nonresident also.

It’s not worth it. 1% of tags go to non res.
They pull gratis tags out of the quota first. If a non res landowner applies that gets pulled from the non res quota. If there are 400 tags then 4 tags go to non res. Say there are 2 gratis tags pulled from that. It leaves 2 tags. Some units have zero tags available to non res after the gratis allocation is pulled.

ND uses bonus points. After 4 points (maybe at 4 points can’t remember) they cube your points.
Regards, Branden

Duckriver

FNG
I hate to say it....but I would look elsewhere. I have been applying for over 10 years and don't think I am any closer than when I started based on the numbers. There are way more people with less points than me also. It will be a once in a lifetime tag unless something changes.

slick

WKR
They give out a capped number of NR archery tags for MD I believe it’s somewhere in the ballpark of 250.

For some reason 238 sticks in my head. But it’s also in a bonus point draw. No preference points.

The rifle was explained above. I’m from there and would love nothing more to go hunt the badlands but as other said, it isn’t worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They give out a capped number of NR archery tags for MD I believe it’s somewhere in the ballpark of 250.

For some reason 238 sticks in my head. But it’s also in a bonus point draw. No preference points.

The rifle was explained above. I’m from there and would love nothing more to go hunt the badlands but as other said, it isn’t worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The non res archery any deer tag is actually a floating number. I believe its 15% of the previous years rifle mule deer tags. Its kind of weird.

They started doing bonus points a couple years ago for non res archery any deer. Last time I checked straight odds were in the 30%-40% range to draw an archery tag. There are a lot of deer but I personally feel quality has slipped the last few years. And there is getting to be a ton of pressure. I see guys archery hunting even during rifle season and rifle season is kind of a zoo. The first week of archery its getting really crowded.

Non res archery any-deer tags (year: # of tags):
2017: 382
2018: 502
2019: 607
2020: 780

Dirtytough is spot on regarding pressure. I have archery hunted the past 4 years and have seen increased pressure (see totals above). This 2020 season was obnoxious during opening weekend. During the Thanksgiving timeframe, the amount of archery pressure was not something I have seen before.

NDGuy

WKR
Non res archery any-deer tags (year: # of tags):
2017: 382
2018: 502
2019: 607
2020: 780

Dirtytough is spot on regarding pressure. I have archery hunted the past 4 years and have seen increased pressure (see totals above). This 2020 season was obnoxious during opening weekend. During the Thanksgiving timeframe, the amount of archery pressure was not something I have seen before.
I would bowhunt the badlands 3-4 years ago and see maybe 1-2 people. Now I see 15-20 a trip, frustrating as hell for sure. Hope it dies down eventually.

Devildogg

FNG
Even the resident tags are almost a once in a lifetime draw. Some people will have 10-13 pts before they draw

WCB

WKR
Rifle aint worth putting into for mulies and most units neither are whitetails. Anything you can draw a white tail tag in any reasonable amount of time is normally vast majority private. I have 6 points for WT Buck in a unit that give away 11-12 NR tags a year in. After Non-resident landowners and "outfitters" get their share there were 2 left for the general draw.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
Rifle aint worth putting into for mulies and most units neither are whitetails. Anything you can draw a white tail tag in any reasonable amount of time is normally vast majority private. I have 6 points for WT Buck in a unit that give away 11-12 NR tags a year in. After Non-resident landowners and "outfitters" get their share there were 2 left for the general draw.
Who cares if it’s private in nd. If it’s not posted you can hunt it. People from states with a lot of public think this is crazy but in ND it’s how you hunt.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
They don’t differentiate from whitetail or mile deer points. They are just deer points.

D S 319

WKR
Seems to be most land out west is posted.. got to be careful with that and ensure you read the regulations on how it works with fences especially. Easy to get nipped.