North Dakota or South Dakota Archery?

I'm sure this is like asking chevy or ford, but figured if nothing else it would get the conversation started. For reference, I would be a non-resident for both North/South Dakota and would be primarily targeting muleys, but not opposed to taking a nice whitetail either. For NoDak I'm looking at Western Central of state and SoDak either NW corner (i know lots of people) or middle of state (most likely bumping back and forth between west and east river). I'd like to hike into a spot and give it a good week or so long to camp, hike, glass, and hunt. Really just looking for some references on deer herd/populations or any other helpful advice (pack lists/tips, glassing tips, etc.). Relative newbie to the spot and stalk world of hunting, but have no issues putting in serious boot mileage to maximize my opportunities. TIA.

WCB

WKR
I'm sure this is like asking chevy or ford, but figured if nothing else it would get the conversation started. For reference, I would be a non-resident for both North/South Dakota and would be primarily targeting muleys, but not opposed to taking a nice whitetail either. For NoDak I'm looking at Western Central of state and SoDak either NW corner (i know lots of people) or middle of state (most likely bumping back and forth between west and east river). I'd like to hike into a spot and give it a good week or so long to camp, hike, glass, and hunt. Really just looking for some references on deer herd/populations or any other helpful advice (pack lists/tips, glassing tips, etc.). Relative newbie to the spot and stalk world of hunting, but have no issues putting in serious boot mileage to maximize my opportunities. TIA.
IMO hunting both extensively your chance of just killing a mule deer is the same in either place. There is no where in either state worth or is it necessary to hike in and camp more than a night realistically and even that would just be to avoid a little walk in the morning. Both are a draw now so essentially apply for both and hunt the one you get drawn for. ND will be a couple years at this point.

KurtR

WKR
deer herd in both states is in the crapper and im the usually the optimistic person. There are still nice deer but numbers are way down. I have enough points to draw any west river sd tag i want i live 15 minutes from the west river area i hunt and 5 minutes from east river. I have not applied for the west river tag and have not shot a deer east river in 4 years. Its better to be mobile than to commit to one area.

alcvndnb

FNG
I looked that the herd stats from the SD GFP last year before the bad winter and the mule deer herd was actually up in every tracked county except 1. That being said, I've seen better in North Dakota. Of course, it can be harder to draw in ND but they have better ground. There really isn't a piece in SD that requires hiking back into and camping. They are relatively flat and easy walks back and forth from the truck.

I agree with KurtR when it comes to ND. I spent a lot of time scouting last year for my wife and kid’s tags. I did not see a big mule deer. If a guy wants he can get in multiple stalks a day on young deer.

KurtR

WKR
I looked that the herd stats from the SD GFP last year before the bad winter and the mule deer herd was actually up in every tracked county except 1. That being said, I've seen better in North Dakota. Of course, it can be harder to draw in ND but they have better ground. There really isn't a piece in SD that requires hiking back into and camping. They are relatively flat and easy walks back and forth from the truck.
They can say what they want but I go off living here and boots on the ground. Ranchers that spend every day out there. 2018 was the last year I would consider good.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
Both places are pretty much the same. If your not looking for a giant you'll have a fun hunt and get in a few stalks. Don't overlook "small" public areas. And as others have said, you can truck camp and walk into every place you'll hunt without a problem, no need to tent back in the country

NDGuy

WKR
I agree with KurtR when it comes to ND. I spent a lot of time scouting last year for my wife and kid’s tags. I did not see a big mule deer. If a guy wants he can get in multiple stalks a day on young deer.
I heard it was trash this year, deer numbers got whacked winter of 22-23

ndhtr

FNG
For ND, the number of nonresident any-deer bow licenses available is 15% of the previous year’s mule deer gun license allocation.

You can expect about half as many nonresident any-deer archery tags available in 2024 vs 2023.

Not sure about South Dakota.

nm_nomad

FNG
I have one point for South Dakota statewide archery, from what I've heard, I should definitely draw the tag this yr with one point. Should be fun hunt, would not mind a solid whitetail or muley.

TheViking

WKR
I've hunted SD the last 3 years in a row. It has increasingly got noticeably worse every year. Not sure if I will go back this year or not. I ended up taking a medium buck last year, but it was very slim pickings. Overall numbers are waayyyy down. Used to be a super fun hunt, not sure what the cause in decline of animals is, but I hope it changes.

nm_nomad

FNG
I've hunted SD the last 3 years in a row. It has increasingly got noticeably worse every year. Not sure if I will go back this year or not. I ended up taking a medium buck last year, but it was very slim pickings. Overall numbers are waayyyy down. Used to be a super fun hunt, not sure what the cause in decline of animals is, but I hope it changes.
Did you have the statewide archery tag or unit specific?

Fatcamp

WKR
Ya, last year was stupid for people.

I'm gonna wait and hunt in December this year.

P dog

FNG
ND deer #s are way down compared to 3-4 years ago. Last winter was absolutely brutal on them. I shot a small whitetail archery buck this year just to fill the freezer. The muley pressure in the badlands has increased so much that the G&F is looking at making big changes in the near future. IMO it is needed.

sdcowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I agree fully with Kurt. Sdgfp would sell 300 tags for the last 30 deer. I ranch along the river and our deer number plain suck. Our numbers have been declining for the last 5-7 years.

Wapiti23

FNG
ND badlands are a very fun place to hunt. Large tracks of very broken public land. Typical bucks seen are 150-160 on the higher end. 170-180s are definitely a possibility. Lots of road hunters! If you went in mid September, bring the shotgun and chase some sharptail grouse.

NDGuy

WKR
The muley pressure in the badlands has increased so much that the G&F is looking at making big changes in the near future. IMO it is needed.
Change is coming for sure, way too much pressure.