North Dakota Pheasant Hunt

Riplip

WKR
Headed to SW North Dakota (Regent/Mott area) for some pheasant/grouse hunting at the end of the month. Haven't been up that way in about 10 years. We used to have a farmer that would let us hunt (usually give him a bottle of his fav bourbon and some elk steaks), but it sounds like he has leased his land out to a local outfitter. From what it sounds like there is a lot of pay to play in the area now which is fine, we are going to hunt some of the public (plots) but since it will be only trip of the year up that way we would also be interested in paying for access a few of the days.

Any recommendations or knowledge of the area would be greatly appreciated.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Have you checked population numbers this year? I’m not much into pheasants, but it sure seems like the numbers are down around Dickinson. My kid and I were out for 4 hours Saturday (youth season), covered a lot of miles, and saw zero birds. My neighbor who feeds them doesn’t have any in his yard either.

Maybe it’s better down by Mott/Regent/New England. And any day hunting is better than working.

OP
Riplip

Riplip

WKR
Yeah thanks, not great counts this year year by any means but supposedly better than last two with some better pockets statewide. Grouse and Hun reports are pretty strong in the area.

Kotaman

WKR
Most of the State's counts are WAY up for pheasants. The SW corner counts were down 7%. Sounds like Dickenson might be down more than that but I would guess there will be lots of birds near Mott/Regent. Grouse numbers are way up throughout the State also. The area you chose is tough for access but can be done via the Plots program and knocking on doors. You'll run into quite a bit of leased stuff down there. Pheasants statewide are in "pockets". Where you find them is where you will find them.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Come to think of it, I’ve probably seen nearly as many sharpies as pheasant in the areas I hunt and work west and north of Dickinson. However, I typically hear that guys head south of town for pheasant so it’s probably better down that way. Nothing scientific here, just casual observation. Good luck out there.

OP
Riplip

Riplip

WKR
Hope to run into some Sharpies & Huns as well. Thanks for the responses.