North Dakota

Can a nonresident purchase a preference point without applying for a tag in North Dakota? Didn’t see the option so didn’t know what options there were. Thanks for any input.

Can a nonresident purchase a preference point without applying for a tag in North Dakota? Didn’t see the option so didn’t know what options there were. Thanks for any input.
Nope. Just gotta pay the fee and wait for it to come back if you don't draw.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Nope. Only residents. The NDGF website is one of the worst for trying to gather information - it's almost like they try to keep it so simple that they leave a lot of information out.

It's a hefty $500+ for the rifle and muzzy application and you won't get paid back until about mid July. This is the only less than 1% tag I don't want to draw and with my luck I will probably get it.

Edit: Any nonresidents on here ever draw one of these tags or know someone who has? How many points did you/they have? They only publish the data for residents draw odds. In 4C it took residents 6 points to get over 50% odds for a mule deer buck tag last year and they didn't hit 100% until 9 points. I'm curious how many non-resident applications there even are with only 4 tags available in a unit like 4C. 10 points get you close? 15? 20? Is it even worth it to jump in if this is your first year? I'm sitting on 7 points and the only reason I keep putting in is because there is a chance I may move back and the points transfer residency.

Last edited:
I helped out a non res that drew 4C. He had 7 points if I remember right. I saw the non res odds for 4D a few years ago. I’ll see if I can find them.