North east Wyoming driving routes - antelope “watching”

We’re taking a vacation end of this month, and will be moving around sightseeing pretty much between Rapid City, Custer, Spearfish, etc. and west probably out to the I-90 WY/MT border area. The usual sightseeing tourist spots. Probably also get up to Little Bighorn Battlefield Monument. Glad to ramble off the interstate & on to state highways/roads to take a more scenic route. Any good state highways that can be promising for seeing antelope while traveling? This isn’t a scouting trip, but it’ll be probably useful in the future for kind of a “been through there once so I know where that is” as 2023 WY hunting may be a real possibility. Thanks.

Last edited:
That will be during hunting season, all the hunters banging around in the units trying to get away from the roads will push a lot of antelope out to the main highways.

The pavement and fences make somewhat if a natural obstruction whicj concentrates them , making for easier viewing.

OP
Go West Old Man
Take 14 N out of Gillette you will end up in Buffalo or Sheridian depending on what you wanna do, then take 90 on the way back, I have seen antelope on both..Devils Tower is a good stop too.

Get gas in Gillette or Buffalo cause there is nowhere in between.
Thanks. We’ll have time to detour off I-90 and go Hwy 14. We’re going to split our lodging at two separate “home base” locations ….. one in WY & one in SD….. & venture out daily from those locations. Devils Tower is definitely on our “go see” list.

Last edited:
OP
Go West Old Man
I hope it cools off soon for the WY locals, all the folks with planned opener hunting trips, and for us too. They really got some blistering, record breaking heat lately!

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
Too bad it is after Labor Day you could have stopped at the Vore Buffalo Jump on 90 just imside the WY border.

OP
Go West Old Man
I want to thank all for your comments & suggestions, both here & in a few other posts I made asking for travel, sightseeing, accommodations, etc advice. Unfortunately, we’ve had to cancel our vacation. Tripped, fell, & broke my arm the other day. Bad break. Surgery tomorrow to fix it. Been a helluva week. At least I’ll have lots more time to follow & read rokslide in the next few weeks.

dwils233

FNG
I've always seen them around Sheridan from I-90...usually not huge herds but lots of small ones all the way up the the reservation. Sheridan college seems to have a resident herd on campus land right beside I-90