North Georgia

Anyone here from N. Ga? I am looking to do my first backpack hunt in the Cohutta Wilderness this fall and any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

FLAK

WKR
Been wanting to get back up there for a Bear hunt but life keeps getting in the way.
Beautiful country, lived up there for a while.

OldGrayJB

WKR
I live about an hour and a half from there but I've never hunted it. I know the deer population is struggling there. So much that the state would not allow antlerless harvest last season. Bears seem to be doing great though.

OP
Bill_Crooks
I live about an hour and a half from there but I've never hunted it. I know the deer population is struggling there. So much that the state would not allow antlerless harvest last season. Bears seem to be doing great though.
I’ve hunted there for a few years now but out of a base camp. Seen lots of bears last archery season and killed a 130” buck on the December hunt a few years ago. I figured backpacking it would open a lot more options and get me away from most folks.

OldGrayJB

WKR
GA law says you can't remove a deer's head until it's ready to process. Would you be able to quarter and pack out? I'm not sure how they define process.

OP
Bill_Crooks
I’ve yet to back pack it but I think you can quarter it out but you have to keep the head until it is checked in. I will definitely have to look into this. I do know some folks that have done it though.

Gobbler36

WKR
Awesome place
I’m originally from nw Ga and live in Idaho now blew me away how steep it was backpacked it once for BlackBears and never saw another soul, lots of bear sign but could never be in the right place at the right time. I was looking for white oaks on ridge tops

OP
Bill_Crooks
Never done it but I’d be game to give it a try. I’m about 1.5 hours south of Cohutta.
I live in Rome and try to make it up there for a week at least once a year but this will be my first backpack hunt up there or anywhere for that matter.

OP
Bill_Crooks
Awesome place
I’m originally from nw Ga and live in Idaho now blew me away how steep it was backpacked it once for BlackBears and never saw another soul, lots of bear sign but could never be in the right place at the right time. I was looking for white oaks on ridge tops
That’s where I seen them last year just alway out of bow range.

rayporter

WKR
302FsW2.jpg

quartered and left on the bone
i had to check it in and they weighed what i had and said it was a big one,,,, ok.
the appy trail was a couple hundred yards from camp.

OP
Bill_Crooks
302FsW2.jpg

quartered and left on the bone
i had to check it in and they weighed what i had and said it was a big one,,,, ok.
the appy trail was a couple hundred yards from camp.
Nice buck I know folks who have done it so I figured it was legal. I did reach out to DNR just to verify. I’m pretty excited about packing in for a week and getting away from all the hunting pressure near the roads.

pk_

WKR
I love what’s happening in this thread. Please keep it updated. I am trying to make a trip like this happen one of these years...

OP
Bill_Crooks
stop and talk to the wardens -they bent over backwards to help.
Yea I figured if they didn’t reply to the message I sent them then I would just ask at the check station. I just want to make sure I’m 100%legal.

OP
Bill_Crooks
I was thinking the jack river trail, pitch camp off the river a bit that way there is plenty of water and those ridges are loaded with oak and hickory